Does agnosticism work in religion?
Posted: 03 September 2007 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-08-28

While definitive proof debunking God is not possible (at least not now), atheists still make the stance.

Most of the agnostics I know do not believe in a God, why not just say “agnostic atheists”? Same with “agnostic Christians”, “agnostic Pagans”, or “agnostic Buddhists”?

Everybody on this planet is an agnostic, truly. But calling yourself an agnostic is just like calling yourself a thinking person.

The only premise I see an agnostic to make is: I will not believe unless motivated by logic or evidence. Atheists say the same thing.

But calling yourself an agnostic in religion is simply a redundancy. It states no premise. It commits to neither side in the argument.

If I were to say that I am an agnostic when it comes to Santa Claus, that would be laughed away, because most people older then 12 are “Santa Claus atheists”.

Same with Orisis, Apollo, and the Russell’s celestal teapot. Not agnostic, but atheist.

Therefore, I will say that being a ‘God agnostic’ is purely useless. I was never an Allah agnostic or a Vishnu agnostic, merely an atheist on both accounts.

While we all truly are agnostic as to these matters, people normally will take a stance, either agnostic positive or agnostic negative.

Posted: 03 September 2007 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

While many thinking people of all sets of beliefs recognize that they are logically agnostic, but they still choose to accept certain conclusions.  However, there are many who don’t recognize the validity of arguments against definite proof.  As the bumper sticker said, “God said it.  I believe it.  That settles it.”  Similarly, I’ve met a few atheists who believe that they have proof of the non-existence of any god.

So, the answer to your thread question is - For some.

Occam

Posted: 03 September 2007 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

HERE is a long thread on the issue of agnostic vs atheist. I see a tiny but important difference, but I am always happy to explain precisely what I’m agnostic about and what I actually believe if people seek clarification. When I do, most people conclude that I am essentially an atheist with respect to how they define God, and that doesn’t bother me. The signature quote is a bumber sticker which I found quite funny, but not necessarily a true representation of my position. grin

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!