Goats in the intake manifold
Posted: 04 September 2007 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15396
Joined  2006-02-14

HERE‘s a good one:

Airline sacrifices goats to appease sky god

KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Officials at Nepal’s state-run airline have sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god, following technical problems with one of its Boeing 757 aircraft, the carrier said Tuesday.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 September 2007 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4096
Joined  2006-11-28

Wow, and the plane got better so it must work! Wonder if I could incorporate animal sacrifice in my veterinary practice? “God please take this goat I offer up and give life to this sheep….” Hmm, maybe not.

Am I wrong in thinking hinduism generally proscribes kiulling animals? I’m confused.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 04 September 2007 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
mckenzievmd - 04 September 2007 07:39 PM

Am I wrong in thinking hinduism generally proscribes kiulling animals? I’m confused.

No, only cows.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 05 September 2007 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

Wait a minute.  Cows are sacred in Hinduism.  I thought they didn’t kill cows.  I know they don’t eat them.  I think I’m confused too.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 05 September 2007 02:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Then why are the Hindu restaurants I frequent all vegetarian - no chickens, no sheep, no goat, etc. ?  Maybe they don’t know they can serve non-cows.  I’ll check the Indian restaurants I go to that DO serve mammals and chickens to learn their religion.

Occam

Posted: 05 September 2007 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-09-05

Hindus don’t have to be vegetarian but I think many of them choose to avoid meat, believing it involves them in the “cycle of death”, which is kharmically detrimental. In vedic scripture there is also the law of noninjury, Ahinsa. This generally prohibits injuring others and many extend this to animals.

I’m fairly sure the cow is sacred to all hindus so will generally not be found on the menu!

I’m new to these boards so I guess I’ll also take the opportunity to say hi!

Signature 

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”

Posted: 05 September 2007 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Mriana - 05 September 2007 12:37 AM

Wait a minute.  Cows are sacred in Hinduism.  I thought they didn’t kill cows.  I know they don’t eat them.  I think I’m confused too.

You’re not confused, Mriana, that’s what I was saying. To my knowledge, Hindus only proscribe (prohibit) the killing of cows.

It’s true that some Hindus (and all Jains and most Buddhists) are vegetarian. But you can be a good Hindu and eat meat.

And hello to McBain! Welcome!

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 05 September 2007 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

OK, I was a bit lost for a moment.  Either that or I stayed up too late.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 05 September 2007 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

What does God have against goats?

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 05 September 2007 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Ya know, that’s a good question.  Write that down and maybe you can ask him when you get to heaven.  LOL  Just kidding.

I don’t entirely understand, but primative people believed if they sacrificed something- be it human or animal- it would appease the god(s).  Then they would turn around and eat the body and drink the blood, thus communion.  I don’t have a real answer to your question, but I can take it further and ask what does god have against virgins, children, lambs, his “own son”?  Virgins were sacrificed to the volcano gods, Isaac was almost a child sacrifice, and Jephtha killed his daughter as a sacrifice, then as the ultimate sacrifice, God decided, “OK I’m tired of this.  I’ll just make a son and kill him.”  The problem is, whether X-ians know it or not is that they are still crucifying people by their words and actions, plus they play judge when supposedly God is to be judge.  What’s up with all of that?

To me, all they do is prove my point that God didn’t sacrifice or kill anyone… Humans did it.  Just as they wrote the Bible.  So when you get down to it, I think the question should be: what do humans have against goats?

Just a thought.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 05 September 2007 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  4096
Joined  2006-11-28

I suspect sacrifice is related to the idea that if you give up something of value to a god, they will recognize it as a genuine sacrifice and be more inclined to give you what you want than if you offer something that doesn’t cost you anything. Domestic animals would be valuable in pastoral and agricultural societies, so willingly giving one away could be seen as showing the sincerity of one’s commitment. It is easy to imagine, then, how such an act could become standardized and remain long after the original rationale had vanished.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 05 September 2007 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

do we have problems with Witches anymore?

apparently burning them at the stake worked!

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 05 September 2007 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

Hindus very often eat meat - go to your local curry house and you will find plenty of chicken and lamb curries on the menu.  I’ve never understood why there are beef curries, but I think they must be just an English dish like chicken tikka massala and baltis.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 05 September 2007 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Beef curry might be for the Muslims who do not eat pork.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 06 September 2007 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

But then Xians sacrifice all sorts of things including their hard earned money and God hates gays so the Hindus aren’t much different.

I have been called “an old goat” so if I were in India I suppose they would sacrifice me to their sky gods too.

And my third wife whom I had the marriage annulled was a mean cow so I suspect they would not sacrifice her yet because I am an old goat they would sacrifice me when I haven’t done anything to them. tongue wink

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 06 September 2007 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

This report made NPR this morning.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan