2 of 2
deleted
Posted: 07 September 2007 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2007-09-05

For me, it’s any place with lots of beautiful women.

Posted: 07 September 2007 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

For me it’s anytime a woman’s talking to me - I just get lost in my own thoughts and go into a trance and occasionally say yes to make it sound like I’m paying attention.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 08 September 2007 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

Hmmm, in the Q’R'Beth I wrote years ago on how to meditate which of course some of the things in my book actually worked and meditation was one of them. I had written whereas you could control yourself to such a point you could make any part of your body to do exactly as you commanded it to do and even blank out your mind to the point you would be unaware of your surroundings and even be able to set an inner alarm clock to bring you back to reality whereas these self introduced sessions would be very much like defragmenting your mind and once you came out of your meditating state you would be so refreshed mentally that you could use the highest point of your intelligence by remembering things you had long forgotten. I occasionally still use this method myself.

I start out by finding the most relaxing place I can and as quiet of a place I can, then I tell my left foot, my left leg, my right foot, my right leg, my left hand, my left arm, my right hand, my right arm, my torso and my head to totally and completely to relax and not feel anything and within (whatever time I preset) a certain time period I will return as before. I then focus all of my thoughts on one particular thing rather it is in my mind or outside myself and focus only on that completely blanking out all other thoughts.

It takes practice but works. For first time persons they can chant: “One hundred, one thousand, one million, one billion, one trillion, one billion, one million, one thousand, one hundred, one thousand, one million, one billion, one trillion, one billion…...,” over and over again slowly until you seem to drift off yet you stay awake but are not aware of your surroundings.

Some people get scared they won’t come back but I never have heard of a case where anyone ever lost their mind doing it.

In fact the first time I did it back in the late seventies I enjoyed it so much I did it every day for months and my converts loved it so much that one man did it several times a day using the chant. But once you can do it without the chant it is even better as the chant is just a tool anyway. Actually this form of meditation was used in India a long time ago and by the people of both China and Japan and the nearest that I could pronounce it was “ishmahti) which I wrote in my book.

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 10 September 2007 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19
Holely Goat - 08 September 2007 01:00 AM

I had written whereas you could control yourself to such a point you could make any part of your body to do exactly as you commanded it to do…

Any cases of people stopping their hearts while meditating?  How about studies that show mediataiton curing cancer?

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 10 September 2007 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  252
Joined  2007-07-12
zarcus - 07 September 2007 10:28 AM

retrospy,

Great questions. I intend to find my own way some how, as Brad informed; “Experiment and develop a customized technique for yourself.” I have no guarantee that I will discover usefulness in my endeavor, but I am willing to try. Personally, I am by nature and nurture, an anxious person. This fact has continually been a sticking point when trying to achieve what I think will allow me a more fulfilled life. I’m slowly coming to terms with what I call “my potentiality”. What attracts me to meditation is the calmness and release. I especially like the idea of viewing and recognizing internal patterns, without judgment. To simply recognize and release.

The first I had heard of this technique was in the clinical setting. I was dating someone at the time who was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. I at the time had suggested CBT & REBT. She was told by a therapist to perhaps try Marsha Linehan’s, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, with her help. Aftrer some research I had become concerned, I wanted to know what claims were being made by the idea of “mindfulness meditation”. I have thought about this for a very long time. It appears to me that the more fantastic claims made can be traced to what I term “Western Buddhist Activist”. The problem there is that they are not completely wrong, but they are also can be misleading. What studies have been done on meditation and the interpretation of such studies varies. Without getting to far into this right now, I would say that the signal I get is for me properly using a technique I am comfortable with may aid me in finding calmness, and more acceptance.

Be careful though, I know of some people whose expectations for calmness and acceptance lead them into repressing. The situation of the group meditation is usually a one with expectations.

[ Edited: 11 September 2007 04:30 AM by wandering ]

Posted: 10 September 2007 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14
retrospy - 10 September 2007 08:49 AM

Any cases of people stopping their hearts while meditating?  How about studies that show mediataiton curing cancer?

question  question

I have heard of people slowing down their metabolism by deep relaxation techniques ... but that isn’t the same.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 September 2007 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  4081
Joined  2006-11-28

There is certainly evidence of people lowering their heart rate and BP, and of suppressing startle reflexes or otherwise altering measurable physiolgic variables. Whether this is just a cool parlor trick or potentially a strategy for longer-term, more clinically meaningful manipulation of the body is totally unknown and undemonstrated, despite the inflated claims of new-age practitioners of various stripes. There are lots of ways in which mind influences body (to use as shorthand a convenient but ultimately false dichotomy). Intriguing and worth looking into, but nothing like a validated therapy for anything.

As for the impact of expectations, Buddhist meditation teachers go to great lengths to discourage having any. That’s sort of one of the fundamental pillars of their world view anyway. It’s certainly true that one’s expectations can alter the experience of meditating, and if the idea is to quiet the mind and find some sort of calmness, it’s kind of like going to sleep-the harder you try and the closer you watch for signs of progress, the less likely anything useful is to happen.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 10 September 2007 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2007-07-19

I know almost nothing of dogmatic meditation.  I don’t understand the purpose.

If you don’t have any expectations for meditation, why is it worth pursuing?  Or is it that you have expectations before you start and you try and forget them while meditating?  How is meditating any better than sleeping?

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 10 September 2007 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14
retrospy - 10 September 2007 02:28 PM

If you don’t have any expectations for meditation, why is it worth pursuing?  Or is it that you have expectations before you start and you try and forget them while meditating?  How is meditating any better than sleeping?

Meditation is a sort of relaxation technique. The relaxation is achieved by gently attempting to focus the mind on some one task that is in itself somewhat meaningless, such as breathing. This is actually not an easy thing to do, because the mind usually resists being focused for very long—it wants to think, worry, obsess about the concerns of the day. So what meditation ends up being is a sort of training or taming of the mind’s natural tendencies. If you keep up with a practice of meditation, over time you will find it easier to achieve this sort of mental focus, and prior obsessions and concerns will tend to fade somewhat.

It’s nothing magical. I view it as a sort of regular mental exercise. It is not easy, it must be done diligently and regularly, it won’t change the world but it can be an ineresting and rewarding experience.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 September 2007 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

I agree with Doug. I findmeditation helps me to focus on the moment I’m in and what I’m doing, rather than scattering my attention shallowly and boradly, and it makes me feel a bit rested and less stressed out in the middle of a busy day. I haven’t put the kind of time in to be really serious about it, and I haven’t found it “transformative” or anything, though I’m open to the idea it might be if I had the interest and commitment. As for expectations, I think the buddhist (and stoic?) idea that our expectations cause a lot of our unhappiness is quite accurate. If you really want something and you get something else, you’re less likely to be happy with it even if by itself it’s just as good as what you were expecting. So for me less anticipation and expectation leads to less struggle to control everything and thereby to less stress and disappointment. But if it’s not to everyone’s taste or you find something else that works better, more power to you.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog

Posted: 10 September 2007 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2007-07-19

I know there are lots of studies on children and productivity when it comes to getting enough sleep, time spent on homework & eating healthy.  Are you aware of any studies showing the effectiveness of meditation?  A study in contrast with any of these factors would be ideal.

Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2007 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

I’m not aware of any studies on children. I would think getting them to meditate would be tough, based on my own experience as a parent! I now there has been a lot of brain scanning and cognitive task assessments looking at whether meditation affects performance. Some of it is intriguing, but you have to put in some time to separate the pseudoscience from the legitimate work.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog

Posted: 11 September 2007 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

I’m not good at meditation.

Last year, I got stuck in a class about relaxing oneself. One of the students asked if he could teach the class “ninja meditations,” and naturally the teacher didn’t want to do so at first. But then he changed it to “chi” meditations, and she let him feed us some bs about gathering energy, and feeling tingly feelings on our backs as we gathered energy as proof that chi existed. I expressed my skepticism for the existence of chi and was told “Well, if you don’t believe in it, you can’t feel it…”

Now, I get tingly feelings at random intervals during my day occasionally. I’m pretty sure that it’s there for the same reason why people get itches. Random nerve impulses.

But there’s another possibility… Maybe you can’t feel anything if you don’t believe because it’s all in one’s head. A radical theory, I know.

Either way, the teacher gave me a B+ in the class for not believing it and that’s the only reason I wasn’t on the honor roll second trimester. That irked me.

However, I do find that simply relaxing and closing one’s eyes after a long day can feel good.

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

2 of 2

‹‹ deleted      Friend ››