1 of 2
Friend
Posted: 10 September 2007 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  252
Joined  2007-07-12

A friend of mine moved to a city where he doesn’t know anyone. He does not know anyone there, so he is very lonely - but the easiest ways of meeting people are through religious clubs, or new age groups, or groups of different ideology.  He is afraid of being influenced and drawn into the ideas under peer-pressure, but does not wish to be lonely.  Do you have any advice?

Posted: 10 September 2007 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Excellent question. It’s impossible to answer very helpfully without knowing the city; but I would expect that most cities have:

(1) Civic organizations like libraries, museums, naturalists (Audubon, Sierra club, birders, amateur astronomers, etc.) and other sorts of clubs that are non-religious and organize get togethers,

(2) Secular charitable organizations,

(3) Political organizations,

(4) Sporting organizations like gyms, baseball, football, tennis, golf, running, swimming, etc.

(4) Local colleges, universities, adult education classes

... any of which can be good ways to spend time and meet people in a non-religious context.

(Or look for a CFI group nearby wink ).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 September 2007 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

myspace

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 10 September 2007 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

There is also Meetup - It’s very easy to use - just enter your interest (such as Atheism, Humanism etc.) then the country and zip. You can get a pretty wide radius.

http://www.meetup.com/

Posted: 10 September 2007 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

I went to Meetup and they require money up front if you start the group and even if you don’t my understanding is it cost money to join. But if you are in a large city there are all sorts of organizations to join free. In a small town it is harder to join organizations free, but if one has a particular hobby one can always find a club for that hobby even in small towns whereas you can go to their meetings most of the time without having to actually join and pay a membership fee. Or one can go to a non-Fundy church and just pretend to believe and make friends but these friends might appear as off the wall to a non-believer, so the first few suggestions I gave might be more appealing.

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 10 September 2007 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

The Meetups don’t cost anything to join, except you do have to pay for the activities the group does.  Like if you meet at a resturant, you have to pay for your food.  It’s dutch treat basically.  I’m in the local Freethinkers Meetup group, the local Star Trek Group, and the local Humanist group.  I didn’t have to pay a thing to join.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 10 September 2007 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-07-27

I am a Star Trekker too having seem all of the movies and all of the TV series when it first started. I still own several movies on VHS here at home. Well if I even tried to start such a group here that would be a no-no as my home would be vandalized and I would be attacked and certainly have no friends or not transportation whatsoever as atheist is a very bad word around here in this town with a church for every 500 persons and from my front porch I can see three big churches and on the way into town I pass from at least eight one way and if I go home by the river side I pass four. Our only radio station is church owned and our largest newspaper is owned by Fundies. All of the government opens all public meetings with prayer. The local rodeo opens it with prayer.

The courts use the Bible and make you swear on it before testifying in court. In fact the whole town and county is run strictly by theist and backed by the bible. A few years ago there had been an atheist group started here but the organizers had their homes burned to the ground and were later murdered and everyone who attended the meetings were oust by the community. In this town it is better to announce you are gay than atheist as atheist are labeled “terrorist, devil worshippers, God haters” and “Commies.”

If one is an atheist here it is better “don’t ask don’t tell.”

Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2007 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

Join a gym class.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 10 September 2007 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-07-27

Good thing he does not live in this town as the local gym is owned by the Catholic church and while everyone is working out they have prayer recitations over loud speakers, “Hail Mary full of grace” crap which they need to change to “To hell with Mary drag queen full of disgrace the landlord is not with thee. Blast those fruit flies that buzz around thy womb. Prey upon us winners. In the name of the Fat One, the Son of a Gun and the holely goat. Ah women” and then it would at least be more entertaining to have to put up with.

But I get my exercise hiking anyway. My Fundy friend took his girl friend to Lake Quemado 150 miles of here to camp out and I warned him that a storm was due there but he claimed that God told him it wasn’t going to rain there.
That is what he gets for listening to God because God is a liar since it came on the news that this evening it rained one inch there with high winds and is expected to rain there heavily over the next three days.

I wouldn’t put my trust in a lying god that is why I quit God and followed Dog because he never barks up the wrong tree or howls at me or whines because I don’t give one tenth of my income to him and he is all fuzzy and warm too on a cold rainy night. tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 10 September 2007 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
Holely Goat - 10 September 2007 05:06 PM

I am a Star Trekker too having seem all of the movies and all of the TV series when it first started. I still own several movies on VHS here at home. Well if I even tried to start such a group here that would be a no-no as my home would be vandalized and I would be attacked and certainly have no friends or not transportation whatsoever as atheist is a very bad word around here in this town with a church for every 500 persons and from my front porch I can see three big churches and on the way into town I pass from at least eight one way and if I go home by the river side I pass four. Our only radio station is church owned and our largest newspaper is owned by Fundies. All of the government opens all public meetings with prayer. The local rodeo opens it with prayer.

The courts use the Bible and make you swear on it before testifying in court. In fact the whole town and county is run strictly by theist and backed by the bible. A few years ago there had been an atheist group started here but the organizers had their homes burned to the ground and were later murdered and everyone who attended the meetings were oust by the community. In this town it is better to announce you are gay than atheist as atheist are labeled “terrorist, devil worshippers, God haters” and “Commies.”

If one is an atheist here it is better “don’t ask don’t tell.”

Being a Trekker would get your home vandalized?  I don’t know why Star Trek would.  I’ve never heard of that one.  I take the bus or cabs to get where I want, but then again, I don’t go around saying, “I’m a Humanist” or “I’m a non-theist” either.  I know better than that in this area.  I’m very selective as to who I tell.  It’s also funny how around here, you get a cringe from others if you say your a non-theist, but if you say you are an atheist you are in trouble.  Either way one is not a Christian, but non-theist is less of a problem then atheist.  That’s probably another good topic for another thread, now that I think about it.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 11 September 2007 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-07-27

No no I didn’t mean because I was a Star Trekker I meant if I started an atheist group here as atheist aren’t very liked here because this part of the country has its own bible belt.

I meant the Meetup group, if I started a Meetup group here my home would get vandalized as years ago two men in town started an atheist group here and first they just vandalized their home spraying it with paint with the words “Get out of town godless commie bastards!” Then when that did not work they were both murdered and their home set on fire and those attending the meetings had their lives threatened.

There is no public transportation in this town.

I once tried to sell my house and leave but I couldn’t sell it even. I have neighbors who have been trying to sell their house for five years but no body wants it and it is a customized home too and my home sets on a bluff with great views of the river and mountains but nobody wants it.

My point is once one is trapped in Christiandom there is little escape, sort of like Xian’s idea of hell.

Signature 

Posted: 11 September 2007 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh ok.  I understand now.  Which just goes right to my pondering words.  It’s sad that people can be cruel just because of how one describes themselves and what they believe.  BTW, it is X-ians’ idea of hell and the make earth hell, at least for those who don’t agree with them.  Funny thing is, they don’t realize it is humans who make this planet what they believe exists some where else.  To bad they will never know this though.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 11 September 2007 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

I think Mriana is correct in that there is no upfront cost to joining a group on Meetup. If your interest group is active there usually is a contact person who you can email and ask about any concerns.

Holely Goat, for your birthday I’ll send you a scarlet letter T-shirt that they offer on Richard Dawkins’ site. “Wear your “Scarlet Letter of Atheism” proudly. 100% cotton, pre-washed, no shrinkage. Sweatshop-free.”

You’ll be a big hit in your town. Where are you anyway, we could send in some Black hawk Atheist copters and do a rescue mission. You didn’t know we had those? Mriana is the director of Humanist Homeland Security and is working on pin pointing your location.

Posted: 11 September 2007 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

LOL  Oh yes.  We’re coming to the rescue.  I’ll bring Dr. Dawkins to help straighten them out.  :D

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 11 September 2007 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-07-27

Yeah I am sure you will. I don’t know much about Dawkins other than he is an Englishman who wrote a book about atheism and he has a British web site and that is about all. But my greatest atheist hero was Madalyn Murray O’Hair who to me was the greatest civil rights American that ever lived and was killed by the terrible blood thirsty Christians. Atheist everywhere need to write to their representatives to have her birthday made into a national holiday like they do for famous Christians and that will tell us the Christians are not bias. Madalyn wrote far more books than Dawkins and did far greater things than Dawkins and is loved across America by those whom love freedom, but of course theist hated her because they don’t like freedom as they didn’t want to give up the idea of not being slaves any more to their master, their invisible never proven fairy tale master who lives in an invisible never proven place.

My birthday has already come and gone over two months ago when I turned seventy five. And were I to wear such a shirt I might as well send out imitations for my funeral and give my cat away to a nice home and get rid of all of my processions before they burnt my house down. I live in southern New Mexico.

They have a large gay population here but they all live and stay in one area for their own protection, but if there is any atheist there probably isn’t enough to live and stay in one area in order to protect themselves.

Thanks anyway. As for sending your homeland security I got that covered with King Nibs of Boodocky tongue laugh who has promised me he
will send his entire military if need be to fight the Christians and if necessary he will drop one of his anti-matter bombs on their biggest churches and send them into anti-matter because he does not need any matter to attack them.  tongue wink

Its okay though as I am doing fine and don’t need any company as I have lots of friends here that take me places even if they are theist only one of them is a Fundy and the others are very liberal and never even bring up their religious beliefs and they don’t even know I am an atheist as I don’t tell and they don’t ask, but two ex-friends (they were never true friends in the first place) have even gone so far as to tell everyone on the internet that I am an atheist and they have been praying every day that I will “surrender” my life to God. Well I have been praying every day too that they will surrender their life to Dog but when Dog starts barking up in the clouds over head then I will believe in their fairy tale god and they might believe in mine.  red face

Or in other words “If their god is so great and powerful then why does he not show him self and prove he exist?”

I wrote the Q’R'Beth and started a religion when I was forty five years old and I can prove it by going on the net and typing in Hitteon and Q’R'Beth, now if the Christians could give some links where we could link up with God and speak to him and he to us I would consider that proof. Hey that ought to be easy since he is God.

Signature 

Posted: 11 September 2007 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Yes, it is sad about O’Hair.  I cannot believe she was as evil as Christians make her out to be. From what I can tell, she was a good woman, just trying to live a good life.

Signature 

Mriana

1 of 2

‹‹ deleted      Titles ››