Getting Faculty Sponsors
Posted: 11 September 2007 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

I’ve been trying to get a faculty sponsor for about a week, but it seems like they’re all either nor interested, or coaching something after school, or doing another club, or simply don’t have the time. I’ve already resorted to asking whatever random teacher I happen to pass by in the hall. Any advice?

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 11 September 2007 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

I wish I had some advice.  I’m in the same boat currently.  I asked the only Humanist prof on campus, that I know of, if he would be interested months ago, but he gave no response.  :(

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 23 September 2007 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-07

4 weeks in and I still haven’t gotten anybody.

However, I have had one teacher tell me that my club was as controversial as pro-smoking, and the person who runs the school activities (and who also has a copy of The Secret on her desk) told me that it was narrow thinking.

On the bright side, I met a substitute who reads the Skeptical Inquirer but who can’t be a sponsor since he’s a substitute so that was slightly refreshing in the whole ordeal.

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
Modus Ponens
QED

Posted: 23 September 2007 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

You are doing better than I am.  At least you have people talking to you, which is a good thing.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 30 September 2007 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-07

Well, I finally got a sponsor. It’s all a matter of going into random, dark places where no one would ever dare to go unless they were truly desperate.

Best of luck to you, Mriana.

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Modus Ponens
QED

Posted: 30 September 2007 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Congratulations!  Do you also have at least six members?  My campus requires at least six members too. I haven’t got that either.  :(  I posted on a Humanist MySpace forum for that is in my area and got no takers so far.  I guess I’ll have to get daring and post on the campus MySpace forum that I’m wanting to start a Freethinkers Club/group.  Chalk the sidewalk like the CCC does, except this would be my opportunity to have evolved fish without changing theirs.  LOL  I really would LOVE to go behind them and evolve their little fish, but I’d need someone to watch my back when I do it.  *evil laughter*

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 30 September 2007 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-07

Actually, we’re required to have 10 members. So far I know of… *counts on fingers* five people who will join, but one doesn’t know until one has the first meeting.

I think that I’m going to have to broaden the topic a little more and avoid religion.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the difference between free thought and freethought?

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Modus Ponens
QED

Posted: 30 September 2007 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Freethought is generally written as one word when talking about Rationalists, Freethinkers, Humanists, etc way of thinking and philosophy.  Other than that I’m not really sure.  I haven’t really researched that question much.  Maybe someone else here has more information on that question than I do.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 30 September 2007 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15355
Joined  2006-02-14
logicisrefreshing - 30 September 2007 12:14 PM

what exactly is the difference between free thought and freethought?

Is there a difference? I always assumed it could be written both ways. The only distinction I can think of is that “free thought” can be misconstrued. I mean, a die-hard supernaturalist could be in favor of “free thought”. By using the different spelling “freethought” one makes clearer the fact that this is a particular philosophical position: one in opposition to certain kinds of religious dogma, supernaturalism, etc.

But again, I think it can be spelled either way.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 30 September 2007 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

Mriana:

I guess I’ll have to get daring and post on the campus MySpace forum that I’m wanting to start a Freethinkers Club/group.  Chalk the sidewalk like the CCC does, except this would be my opportunity to have evolved fish without changing theirs.

In the days before MySpace, when I wanted to re-start our freethought group, I pulled some provocative quotes from the 2000 Humanist Manifesto (it had just come out and I thought it could generate some interest and controversy), xeroxed them along with a date and general place on campus to meet, and peppered the campus with them.  I did get some people who were curious show up and get involved. 

You don’t have to pick religious criticism, it can be anything you think will rile up the students.

Write a letter to the school paper about the group and the next meeting time. 

It is very hard to get atheists and freethinkers to join anything.  Our running joke at Marshall was they are GDI—God Damn Independent!!

Mriana, have you tried Science profs?  Our first one taught basic science.  Our second one was me!!

Good luck to you both.  :grin:

Posted: 30 September 2007 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Thanks Happy Humanist.  I’ll give your ideas a try.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 02 October 2007 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-07
dougsmith - 30 September 2007 12:55 PM
logicisrefreshing - 30 September 2007 12:14 PM

what exactly is the difference between free thought and freethought?

Is there a difference? I always assumed it could be written both ways. The only distinction I can think of is that “free thought” can be misconstrued. I mean, a die-hard supernaturalist could be in favor of “free thought”. By using the different spelling “freethought” one makes clearer the fact that this is a particular philosophical position: one in opposition to certain kinds of religious dogma, supernaturalism, etc.

But again, I think it can be spelled either way.

Ah… That’s what I thought.

There were some issues because there’s a free thought group, but from the description it definitely wasn’t what I had in mind.

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Modus Ponens
QED

Posted: 21 September 2008 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-09-21

I’d try philosophy or religious studies professors or before hitting up science professors as they are more inclined to the discussion common in secular groups in campus.  You could also just start wearing an atheist shirt around and wait for comments and reactions - you might be surprised where you’ll find an atheist professor.

Many full time instructors are also on facebook - send them invitations to your group and see who joins.

One more thing - the OP mentions professors being busy with other activities outside of class.  You might want to respond by informing/reminding them that being a faculty adviser requires much less time than coaching, etc… the students are the ones running the group.

Posted: 11 March 2009 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2008-12-29

ask an anthropology teacher.

Posted: 11 March 2009 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2008-12-29

Thats sucks man I am so sorry. I am surprised I am not in the same boat. By some undivine happening I have 3. Which is really surprising if you knew my campus. 
Also try science teachers.