“Eureka” and religion
Posted: 15 September 2007 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-09-14

I usually enjoy Eureka.  It is a lighthearted and fluffy bit of SciFi. However, the last episode left a sour taste in my mouth.  The story line (such as it was) went that a number of strange happenings occurred that no one could explain - people lost their voices, a person started glowing, water turned to blood and the town was plunged into darkness - the immediate response from all the scientists in town was to immediately to turn to religion.  They all flocked to the church which had heretofore been mostly ignored.  I won’t spoil the ending of the show for any that haven’t seen it.  But I found the treatment of religion in the show dissatisfying and irritating.

The first thing that was irritating was the assumed reason that the church had ‘empty pew syndrome’ in a town of scientists - it wasn’t that people didn’t believe but it was that they were just not interested. 

The second was the presumption that the church was entitled to respect - in the show even people that didn’t attend the church thought that it was a good idea.

The third thing was the immediate revival of belief and attendance at the church.  When faced with the unknown the writers assumed the response would be a return to religion.

There was more that was dissatisfying but you get my drift.

Posted: 15 September 2007 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I had exactly the same reaction.  I’ve enjoyed the show in the past, but this episode was quite obnoxious.

Occam

Posted: 17 September 2007 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  984
Joined  2005-01-14

I agree as well.  Why couldn’t just ONE character (I would have thought Henry) have had the guts to stand up and say, “Sorry, I just don’t believe in God”?  And there was that old barf-inducing platitude about “the more we study science, the more we realize there must be something beyond this mortal veil…”  Yuck!  :(

Posted: 17 September 2007 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

im glad i missed the show

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 18 September 2007 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh my!  I think I’m glad I didn’t see that episode.  My older son would be getting upset due because I’d probably be going on a rant about religion.  Funny how a professed Buddhist can get upset about someone who dogs religion.  Even so…  Most of the time he takes it well, but other times it gets to be too much for him even.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 18 September 2007 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-09-14

For me the worst of it was just how insipid (‘barf inducing platitudes’) the show was.  Eureka is pretty lightweight fare, so to have treated the subject well would have gone against their style but it would have been so much better to have had just a modicum of conflict - even if it was ‘spirituality’ vs organized religion.

Posted: 18 September 2007 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  984
Joined  2005-01-14

On the bright side, I think one episode established the population of Eureka at around 2,000 (I don’t watch it regularly, so please correct me if I’m wrong).  But there couldn’t have been more than a hundred crowding that little church!  wink