2 of 2
How do we define a Religion?
Posted: 17 September 2007 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Baloo, in reference to “I know it when I see it”:  I guess it depends on one’s motivation for it.  It could be a cop-out, or it could just be a wise-ass comment.  In this case it was the latter.  I was indicating that I think there’s general (maybe sloppy) agreement on what is and isn’t a religion such that we can have productive and meaningful discussions at that level.  I’m not certain that much is to be gained by trying to be hyper-precise in its definition.

I missed the point of your question, “What would you think about a non-theoist that claimed the right to equal protection under the law for his own beliefs?  Can a single person do so, or does it require an organized group of individuals?”

Does this have anything to do with the original question, and if so, are you suggesting that one of the characteristics of a religion may have to be acceptance by an organized group of individuals?

Occam

Posted: 17 September 2007 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

“Religion is as religion does.” - Forest Gump

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 17 September 2007 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2007-09-16
Occam - 17 September 2007 02:12 PM

Baloo, in reference to “I know it when I see it”:  I guess it depends on one’s motivation for it.  It could be a cop-out, or it could just be a wise-ass comment.  In this case it was the latter.  I was indicating that I think there’s general (maybe sloppy) agreement on what is and isn’t a religion such that we can have productive and meaningful discussions at that level.  I’m not certain that much is to be gained by trying to be hyper-precise in its definition.

Understood. 

Occam - 17 September 2007 02:12 PM

I missed the point of your question, “What would you think about a non-theoist that claimed the right to equal protection under the law for his own beliefs?  Can a single person do so, or does it require an organized group of individuals?”

This was in reference to your statement:

Occam - 16 September 2007 08:08 PM

I get annoyed when theists claim that lack of religion is therefore a religion, that is, a non-theist’s belief that there is no god is a religious belief.  Hogwash.

I can understand that a non-theist would not want to have their beliefs defined by someone else, the question was directed at probing additional conditions that you might consider….

Occam - 16 September 2007 08:08 PM

Does this have anything to do with the original question, and if so, are you suggesting that one of the characteristics of a religion may have to be acceptance by an organized group of individuals?

I guess I have kind of wandered a bit off-topic….

I guess my main concern is that I’m not sure what people mean when they use the term ‘Religion’.  Often it seems like it gets used for a number of meanings that may of may not be the same concept.  Personally, I tend to liken Religion to having much the same influence of a Culture, as in the example Japanese Culture.  I might extend the the example to ‘Organized Religion’ to the ‘Japanese Government’ (pre-democracy)  Both have rules that people may or may not agree with entirely, both are value systems that people are born into, both have vested interest in continuing to survive, etc, etc.

That’s not to say that this analogy totally works.

In any case, any thoughts, I’d love to hear…

-baloo

Signature 

Look for the bare necessities
The simple bare necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the bare necessities
Old Mother Nature’s recipes
That brings the bare necessities of life.

Posted: 17 September 2007 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

My definition might be fairly incomplete, but I see a religion as any set of beliefs that venerate something, be it metaphysical or a cow, etc., that does not seem to justify respect in the eyes of others.  I don’t see that it has to be similar to a culture, although it can be, and I don’t see that it has to involve more than one person.

Occam

Posted: 17 September 2007 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

HERE is a thread on this topic from a while back. and from that thread,

Clear definitions are nice, but absolutes without exceptions are rare in human affairs, and attempts to create them usually cause more trouble than they’re worht, IMHO. I might loosely say a religion is a system of beliefs in which the supernatural figures prominently and which claims to be both descriptive of reality and proscriptive for how people should behave.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 18 September 2007 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-16
Occam - 17 September 2007 10:22 PM

My definition might be fairly incomplete, but I see a religion as any set of beliefs that venerate something, be it metaphysical or a cow, etc., that does not seem to justify respect in the eyes of others.  I don’t see that it has to be similar to a culture, although it can be, and I don’t see that it has to involve more than one person.

Occam

This makes a lot of sense.  And explains why non-theistic beliefs may not be religion, as long as they don’t venerate something that doesn’t warrant it…

Thank you!

-baloo

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2007 02:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-16
truthaddict - 17 September 2007 03:51 PM

“Religion is as religion does.” - Forest Gump

And….....

-baloo

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2007 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-16
mckenzievmd - 17 September 2007 11:08 PM

HERE is a thread on this topic from a while back. and from that thread,

Clear definitions are nice, but absolutes without exceptions are rare in human affairs, and attempts to create them usually cause more trouble than they’re worht, IMHO. I might loosely say a religion is a system of beliefs in which the supernatural figures prominently and which claims to be both descriptive of reality and proscriptive for how people should behave.

This would also explain why Atheism, at least Atheism that included disbelief in the supernatural, would not be classified as a religion.

It does open the question to how you would classify ‘a system of beliefs based on experience and which claims to be both descriptive of reality and proscriptive for how people should behave’ say, ‘rule based utilitarianism’...  A philosophy maybe? 

That said, I wonder how Atheists would react to having their beliefs classified as a ‘philosophy’?

-baloo

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2007 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam - 17 September 2007 10:22 PM

Hmmm ... I think that’s probably too broad a definition. What about sports teams? They are venerated locally but do not seem to justify respect by others outside their area. Local artwork, painting, music, architecture is often also venerated by small groups but not by outsiders.

Most definitions of religion that I’ve seen do make reference at some level to an aspect of the supernatural. Quasi-religious belief systems that do not involve supernatural beliefs (for example, some versions of Buddhism or Confucianism) are usually referred to as “philosophies” rather than religions.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 September 2007 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
Baloo - 18 September 2007 02:23 AM

I wonder how Atheists would react to having their beliefs classified as a ‘philosophy’?

Personally, I wouldn’t have any problem with it. I think it is a sort of philosophical point of view.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 September 2007 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16
dougsmith - 18 September 2007 07:24 AM
Baloo - 18 September 2007 02:23 AM

I wonder how Atheists would react to having their beliefs classified as a ‘philosophy’?

Personally, I wouldn’t have any problem with it. I think it is a sort of philosophical point of view.

No, its a religion and we worship No God for which we will get No Reward in our Non-Afterlife. In fact, our currency - once we get our homeland by expelling some pathetic group of natives and subjugating them to some apartheid system or extirmination - will say “In No God We Trust” and our Pledge of No Allegiance will say “One Nation Under No God…”

but seriously, of course its a philosophy. what else would it be?

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 18 September 2007 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

I have, so far, been remarkably successful at telling the difference between goats & turtles.  I also don’t find it beneficial or rewarding to analyze goats to see if they could be turtles.  In my experience you can usually find an accurate definition for your thoughts without relying on “20% of this belief” as your definition.  Just because you believe in the golden rule, doesn’t necessarily mean you are a Christian.  As far as defining religions go, I think this website has done an effective job at distinguishing which side of the fence various popular religious beliefs stand.  It is a short quiz that gives you a percentage match for all religions.  I was a 100% Secular Humanist and a 90% match for Unitarianism.  Interesting enough, they included secular humanism as a religion.  Please let us know what you get – I bet a majority of you will have a similar result as me.

http://www.selectsmart.com/RELIGION/

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 18 September 2007 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

1.  Doug, that’s why I said my definition may be fairly incomplete - I didn’t add all the qualifications and caveats.

2.  Retrospy, that website is fairly old.  The Unitarian denomination has rapidly become more theistic in the last ten years.  You would probably only be 60% unitarian now.

3.  I’m very sensitive to inconsistencies in other people so I crack up when I find one in myself.  I’ve argued strongly in other threads against theism and all the words associated with it.  I was quite annoyed when someone attempted to characterize my non-beliefs as religious.  This morning, at my teeth cleaning, my dentist asked if I had been flossing.  I answered, “Religiously.”  -  tongue laugh   gack!!

Occam

Posted: 18 September 2007 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

So you floss your teeth in silent revery? Or while chanting a mantra or prayer? Or only on Christmas and Easter? grin I love language, and how words change. If I was a little more evil, I might start a thread debating “Words Prohibited to Atheists”

How about a 10 Commandments style list?

Thou shalt not claim to be an atheist and yet utter the words: “Bless you” when someone sneezes; “Damn-it!” when you stub your toe; “Go the Hell!” when someone tells you to vote Republican, or any other religion-tainted word. Nah, I guess some people might not get it wink

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 18 September 2007 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Brennen:

If I was a little more evil

Ah, the conditional rather than the subjunctive.  So, Brennen.  Does that mean you could be evil in some circumstances?  LOL

You have a point about religious words as expletives.  I guess I’ll just have to change so that I use only words to do with the excretory and urogenital system and functions.  shock

Occam

2 of 2