Kathy Griffin, take a bow!
Posted: 18 September 2007 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  983
Joined  2005-01-14

In Monday’s USA Today, there was a full-page advertisement/diatribe by “The Miracle Theater” of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee: 

Christian Entertainers Say “ENOUGH IS ENOUGH”  This is a response to comments given by Kathy Griffin as she accepted her Emmy award.  Ms. Griffin said in her speech that “A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award.  I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus.”  She also said, “S**k it, Jesus.  This award is my god now!”

The rest of the page was taken up getting all hot and bothered about Hollywood stars who “slander our God” and tooting the horn of the Miracle Theater, and I’m not going to bother quoting it.

I just want to say “WELL DONE!” to Kathy Griffin for telling it like it is!  It makes me wish I had actually watched the Emmy awards.  wink

Posted: 18 September 2007 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

There was a previous post suggesting the comment would be beeped out by the censors. Anyone know if it was?

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 18 September 2007 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

It kind of sucks that Kathy Griffin is the best voice of reason in Hollywood.  I bet there are many others who leave God out of it, but know it is their job to be liked by people and don’t put their reputation on the line.  Maybe they should be sensoring anyone who uses God/Jesus in a sentence.  Religion is PG-13 material, the media doesn’t need to contribute to child abuse.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 18 September 2007 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Comments by a number of speakers were bleeped out.  Sally Field’s one that “If women ran the governments there would be no goddamned wars” may indicate that there others who are the voice of reason in Hollywood.

Occam

Posted: 19 September 2007 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam - 18 September 2007 07:40 PM

Comments by a number of speakers were bleeped out.  Sally Field’s one that “If women ran the governments there would be no goddamned wars” may indicate that there others who are the voice of reason in Hollywood.

Fox claimed they were bleeping out the bad words, and in this case the “goddamned”, FWIW. Convenient that it also caught the anti-war message.

However I don’t think hers is a reasonable view. If you look through history you won’t see much support for the claim that female rulers are pacifists.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 24 September 2007 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

Here’s an update.  In Friday’s USA Today, there was another full page ad, calling for readers to sign a “Stand Up for Christ!” petition:

It’s time for Christians to stand up and say, “Enough is Enough!”  The name of Jesus Christ should not be mocked, nor should those who love Him be slandered for their beliefs.  It is time for people of faith around the country to stand firm against religious slander, bias, and bigotry of all types including Christianity!

My oh my!  A million Christians are going to Courageously Stand Up for Christ and Sign this bloody stupid petition, and then where will we Atheists be?  I guess we’ll all Hang our Heads in shame for mocking the One True God and just slink away into the dark corners we crawled out of, won’t we?  Gosh, we might as well start making out our wills!  :(

Posted: 24 September 2007 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Wait a minute!  If they can criticize everyone else, why can’t we criticize them?  They are not beyond criticism.  What is this?  Theocracy?  Don’t answer that.  It was a sarcastic remark.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 15 October 2007 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

do you know how much that ad cost? (the ones the Christians placed)  about $90,000.

You’d think them church-goin’ folks could think of better ways to spend such a staggering amount of money. 

But no, let’s not feed a few more hundred hungry people, let’s put a whiny, vindictive ad in a newspaper because a self-professed D-list comedian made a joke.

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 15 October 2007 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2007-10-09

Reminds me of the South Park episode where they took bibles to the hungry kids in Africa, and all the kids tried to eat them :(

Posted: 18 October 2007 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-10-14

One of the funniest things about this whole kerfuffle is that Kathy Griffin had a Bravo special called “Everybody Can Suck It” that was made long before the Emmy ‘incident’.....

So, Catholics shouldn’t feel ‘singled out’ or anything :)

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 29 October 2007 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

Say, I’ve just thought of something.  If someone has the money to waste, they could buy a counter-ad, saying something like, “Hey guys, we understand how upset you Christians must be at what Kathy Griffin said.  Tell you what we’ll do—the minute we’ve achieved parity with all the public insults and swipes we atheist have had to endure all our lives, then we’ll send you an apology.  Does that sound fair?”

Posted: 30 October 2007 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-10-14
advocatus - 29 October 2007 09:56 AM

Say, I’ve just thought of something.  If someone has the money to waste, they could buy a counter-ad, saying something like, “Hey guys, we understand how upset you Christians must be at what Kathy Griffin said.  Tell you what we’ll do—the minute we’ve achieved parity with all the public insults and swipes we atheist have had to endure all our lives, then we’ll send you an apology.  Does that sound fair?”

Sounds good! :)

In the meantime, I think Kathy should offer the same ‘apology’ she did when Steven Spielberg and the E! channel were soooo upset with her for making that joke about Dakota Fanning being in rehab *teehee*  It went something like this:

E! channel execs: “we really need you to issue an apology

Kathy Griffin: “ok, here’s my apology:  you’d have to be a ****** idiot to not know i was kidding.”

E! channel execs: “uh, we can’t print that.”

Kathy Griffin: “that’s it. that’s all i got.”

:)

Signature 

Posted: 01 November 2007 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-10-14
dougsmith - 19 September 2007 07:46 AM

However I don’t think hers is a reasonable view. If you look through history you won’t see much support for the claim that female rulers are pacifists.

Just to clarify: Sally Field didn’t say ‘if women ran the governments’ (as has been quoted earlier in the thread), she said ‘if mothers ruled the world’

Nitpicking perhaps, but it is a slightly different point :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gebrgHlnmww

Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2007 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

Did anyone see Kathy Griffin’s special on Bravo last night—“Straight to Hell”?  She spent about the first fifteen minutes of her act giving a blow-by-blow account of the whole brouhaha, which was hilarious.  “You can stop sending me letters and e-mails.  I know I’m going to Hell.  I’ve already got my handbasket picked out.”  smile

‹‹ O-mazing Grace!      Ahoy, maties! ››