1 of 2
Nebraska Senator sues God (Merged)
Posted: 18 September 2007 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2007-06-11

I just happened to see a link to this on one of the blogs I read regularly. I can’t figure out if this is just some kind of stunt, or if this guy is actually serious. Here’s a quote from the article:

Nebraska State Senator Ernie Chambers (D - Omaha) filed suit against God Friday, asking a court to order the Almighty and his followers to stop making terrorist threats.

The suit, filed in a Nebraska district court, contends that God, along with his followers of all persuasions, “has made and continues to make terroristic threats of grave harm to innumerable persons.” Those threats are credible given God’s history, Chambers’ complaint says.

Not really sure if I find this to be a hilarious stunt, or if I should be concerned that someone who actually takes this seriously is working for our government on some level. Either way I thought it made for an interesting read.

Edit: I forgot to add a link. http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/09/nebraska-senato.html

[ Edited: 18 September 2007 06:04 PM by brainlesssteel ]
 Signature 

“The language and concepts contained herein are guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns and pointed stick conducts his business.”—Frank Zappa

Posted: 18 September 2007 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Another blog had the following information which puts a different spin on things.

Ernie Chambers is suing God. In an effort to show that anyone can file suit against anyone in America, Senator Chambers paid $79 and filed in Douglas County Court.  What is this over you may ask. It involves the Tory Bowen case where the Federal Courts have upheld a judges order that she not use the words rape, or victim in the trial. No word on when the first hearing will be and who God will get for a lawyer.

Occam

Posted: 19 September 2007 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

Yes, HERE it says he’s trying to demonstrate that there are too many frivolous lawsuits in his county.

Funny anyway.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 19 September 2007 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

That is funny.  I wonder which God his law suit targets?  The article Doug linked says:

We’re not sure how one would serve God with legal papers, but perhaps Chambers has his ways.

If the defendant is omniscient, that shouldn’t be a problem.  If the defendant is also omnipotent and created everything, it is suing itself.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 19 September 2007 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

can i join the class action?

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 20 September 2007 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

I suppose since the Catholic pope is the representative of God the papers ought to be served on him too as a co-defendant.

I’d like to be part of this suit against God too. In fact if more people were to come forward to testify against God we might just win this case and get a retraining order against God to leave us all alone and if he breaks the restraining order we can have him arrested for contempt of court and sent to jail.

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 21 September 2007 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2007-09-14

Finally, proof of God.  It turns out the Supreme One is quite litigious…

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/20/suing.god.ap/index.html

gulp

Posted: 21 September 2007 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

LOL

Someone’s got a sense of humor at that “Corpus Christi law office”.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 21 September 2007 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

Why does “God” consider “free will” to be the greatest “gift” he gave us?

Assuming the all-knowing, all-powerful, perfect God knew that he was creating suffering and evil in the world and that it is a “gift” to give us the choice to do evil or not, then he surely knew which soul would wind up in Hell. That means he intentionally created eternal damnation for particular souls.

But, then how is that “free will”?

If he knew before he put things in motion that Adolf Hitler and Genghis Kahn would exist, then where is the free will?

Why did he create a soul to goto Hell and then call it free will?

Obviously these questions raise lethal problems for the existence of God; that the arguments put forth by whoever is claiming to be God in this “response” didn’t really think it through properly. This is a direct assault on “free will” and the existence of God. The only way for free will to have a possibility at existing is for God to be incompetent and impotent. The contradictions are just too glaringly obvious that it’s amazing how they are - for the most part - not noticed

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 21 September 2007 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh brother!  rolleyes  I do hope Ernie sees right through this one.  Sorry, but it is a human who is responding.  rolleyes  This whole thing is insane.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 October 2008 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Suit against God thrown out over lack of address

Oh well.

A judge has thrown out a Nebraska legislator’s lawsuit against God, saying the Almighty wasn’t properly served due to his unlisted home address. State Sen. Ernie Chambers filed the lawsuit last year seeking a permanent injunction against God.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 16 October 2008 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2006-02-09
dougsmith - 16 October 2008 08:52 AM

Suit against God thrown out over lack of address

Oh well.

A judge has thrown out a Nebraska legislator’s lawsuit against God, saying the Almighty wasn’t properly served due to his unlisted home address. State Sen. Ernie Chambers filed the lawsuit last year seeking a permanent injunction against God.

Gee, I thought all you had to do was pray.  Are they admitting prayer does not contact God?  Christians tell us God is everywhere - hmmmm…. wink

Signature 

Fairness is Justice

Posted: 16 October 2008 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  346
Joined  2008-09-10

I can see how personal service of papers would be difficult.  But, most jurisdictions allow for service by publication if personal service can’t be obtained and, as God is everywhere, publication in any newspaper should be sufficient, and arguably the claim would arise within the circulation of any newspaper, also because of God’s omnipresence.  So, service adequate to obtain personal jurisdiction should be possible.  Then, the issue of jurisdiction would depend on Nebraska’s personal jurisdiction statute.  As those statutes always grant jurisdiction over residents of the state, God should be subject to personal jurisdicition in the Nebraska courts for the same reason.  As for the application of Nebraska law to God, is it not true that all human laws have their basis in God’s law?  Can God dispute the application of laws based on His own laws?  I think dismissal was inappropriate without an evidentiary hearing.  The suit should be refiled.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 16 October 2008 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I agree, Ciceronianus.  In addition, since god is supposed to reside in all churches (houses of god) copies of the summons could just be nailed to all the church doors (ala Martin Luther).  And, if s/he doesn’t show, bench warrants should be issued for his/her arrest.

Occam

Posted: 16 October 2008 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Well, since God is supposed to be omniscient, it’s not clear that anything in particular need be done to inform him of the summons. That said, if one believes that God is a fiction on the model of Superman or Zeus, then there’s no actual person to be served ...

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 16 October 2008 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02

Did they try 777 Heavenly Ave, Sky Cloud 88800?  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

1 of 2