San Genaro does it again!
Posted: 22 September 2007 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-09-22

Right on schedule, too.

Was there ever any doubt?  wink

Naples hails annual miracle of liquefying blood

NAPLES, Italy (Reuters Life!) - Roman Catholics in Naples crowded the city’s cathedral on Wednesday to witness the annual miracle of Saint Gennaro, who died in the 4th century but whose dried blood is said to turn liquid on his feast day.

In a ritual first recorded in 1389—more than 1,000 years after the martyrdom of Gennaro, also known in English as Saint Januarius—a church official waved a white handkerchief to the crowds to signal that the dried blood had liquefied on schedule when brought close to relics which are said to be his body.

Cardinal Crescenzio Sepe, archbishop of Naples, then showed the glass phial of blood to the congregation and paraded it to the crowds outside, where fireworks were lit in celebration.

“It is a prodigious sign that shows the Lord’s closeness and predilection for our beloved and long-suffering city,” he said.

There’s a Festa di San Genaro in New York City that resembles a carnival. My father always used to take the family back when I was a little kid.

But if it’s creepy miracles you want, better head for the old country.  cool smile

Signature 

The lack of a rational explanation is not evidence for an irrational explanation.

Posted: 24 September 2007 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

But if it’s cannoli and sausage and pepper hero sandwiches, head to NYC.

I grew up in a little town (Island Park) on Long Island that had a San Gennaro block party for three days every September.  It was a blast!!  Who cared about the “miracle”?  There was a Ferris Wheel and cotton candy!!

Posted: 26 September 2007 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-09-25

I guess I’m a little dense.

They’re using this parlour trick to prove what exactly?

Posted: 26 September 2007 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14
Deeznuts - 26 September 2007 08:56 AM

Good question, Deeznuts. I think it’s supposed to be a sort of “miracle” that this blood keeps flowing, and that itself is supposed to tell us something about the blood of Christ.

When one actually begins to unpack it, Christianity is quite a blood-soaked religion, really. Even cannibalistic ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 September 2007 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-09-22
Deeznuts - 26 September 2007 08:56 AM

I guess I’m a little dense.

It’s a miracle to confound the scoffers.  cool smile

Signature 

The lack of a rational explanation is not evidence for an irrational explanation.

Posted: 26 September 2007 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-09-25

Thanks Doug and Haz for clearing that up. I was under the wrong impression it was to prove that “G” was a real Saint. Why is always some stupid trick or unsubstantiated claim? It’s always smoke and mirrors, or stories from “my best friends brothers girl friend who lives in Africa says”, or what amounts to “don’t look behind that curtain”! And why can’t believers make that obvious connection?