When does one need to be concerned?
Posted: 25 September 2007 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

Since the two papers I wrote for this English class- one being about Humanism (paper concerning our specialty) and another concerning place in which I metaphorically made a world out of my library and placed Jesus at the same table with Horus, Zeus, Mithra, etc- this one guy has been making comments like “It’s an opinionated paper”, “That should not be in your paper”, not to mention the comments I mentioned the other day.  Why does he even know about my papers?  We read each other’s papers in class as a workshop type deal, before handing them into the prof.  At what point do I need to be concerned about this other student?

No, he’s not approached me outside of class yet, but he has made it quite clear he is a hardline theist who doesn’t like my papers.  I don’t care if he likes my papers or not, but I’m concerned about his attitude in class.  Hopefully it stays in class and I have no reason to be concerned.

I’m about to put the shorter paper on my site very soon.  I don’t see any reason as to why he would react to that paper as he is unless he has a personal problem.  Now the Humanist paper, I wasn’t too surprised to have one person who has a hang-up, but both papers?  He’s weird and I’m just hoping he is no one to be concerned about and is just all mouth in class.

BTW, he’s in his early 20s at most, so he maybe just a young upstart who likes to give older people a hard time, except he’s focused on my papers with different tone in his voice compared to others, if you get the idea.

[ Edited: 25 September 2007 10:43 AM by Mriana ]
 Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 25 September 2007 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

fuck him. you should be concerned if he starts making threats or making you unusually uncomfortable. other than that, “ladies is pimps too. so go on and brush your shoulders off.” -JayZ

PS: why would saying something is an “opinonated paper” matter for this particualr assignment?

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 25 September 2007 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

One more thing, I don’t think the prof is going to be much help in this because 1. he took off 5 points on my Place assignment, which he said in the instructions could even be the bathroom.  His reason- not what he had in mind for Place.  rolleyes  I think that was an excuse.  He said it was very well written and tight, but even though we could use the bathroom for a Place paper, I was given a 95% on this paper.  2.  You could hear a certain tone in his voice when it came to my idea of a Specialty paper, almost defensiveness, which could pertain to our major or minor if we wanted.  He made no verbal objection to it, but I could tell he didn’t care for my choice of topic and he wanted me to either cut or summerize my Paul Kurtz’s quote.  I’m waiting for my grade on that one still.  3. He never objected to said student’s remarks about the shorter paper being opinionated and other comments concerning Jesus not needing to be mixed with the mythological characters.  rolleyes  So, I doubt the prof will be much assistance.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 25 September 2007 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
truthaddict - 25 September 2007 10:56 AM

fuck him. you should be concerned if he starts making threats or making you unusually uncomfortable. other than that, “ladies is pimps too. so go on and brush your shoulders off.” -JayZ

PS: why would saying something is an “opinonated paper” matter for this particualr assignment?

That’s what I said to myself last night.

It shouldn’t matter if it’s opinionated or not.  I don’t think so at least.  I really think this student is full of crap, to put it mildly.  He needs to come up with something better than that concerning papers.  IMHO, his opinion is opinionated and has nothing to do with writing.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 25 September 2007 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

mriana,

Arundhati Roy said to Howard Zinn: “No one can pressuraize me, you know. I mean, they don’t have a handle on me. It’s only if I wanted to accept that pressure that it would be a pressure.”

That’s how you gotta take it. No one can pressure you. They dont control you, and if they do pressure you its because you let them. Dont want them to pressure you? Then dont let them. That is what I was getting at with the JayZ lyric: Ladies is pimps too. So go on and brush your shoulders off.

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 25 September 2007 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

Mriana,
Close-mindedness and ignorance are sadly ubiquitous. It’s obvious you have every right to hold unpopular opinions and to express them in class. And the professor shouldsupport that, since it’s his job. If he shares the biases of the student who’s bnothering you, I’d kick it up the hierarchy (Dept Chair, Provost, etc). It’s easy for me to say, not being you, but I wouldn’t want to see you let yourself be intimidated by yahoos like that. Sorry you have to deal witgh this crap. :-(

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 25 September 2007 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Question is, how do I prove it?  See, he dropped my grade 5% points on the grounds, “It was not what I had in mind” adding that “It was tight, well written, and with few errors.”  I asked him what he meant by “It was not what I had in mind”?  His reply was, “I don’t know why you’re complaining.  It’s still an “A”.”  Now, I’m not dumb, but I can’t prove anything, except he agrees with that student’s comments that “it’s opinionated” and the Jesus with myth stuff needs to be cut (because it makes no sense), not to mention the atheist book titles.  rolleyes  That last is not in writing though.  When a female student agreed it made no sense, I said, “It does if you imagine them as mythical cartoons.”  She gave me a dirty look.  I almost laughed, because it was like “Slam dunk”.  I still want to ask, “Whose paper is it?”  I’m not cutting anything and at the end of the semester, it will still be in there when I turn in the portfolio.  My Christian friend said it did make sense if you’re not close-minded and it’s funny too.  She thinks it’s because I’m in the heart of the Bible Belt and she also has her suspecions about what is go on in this class.  She saw nothing wrong with my paper and enjoyed it.  (It’s on my site now in the original fiction section).  She laughed when I called them all “corncobs up the butt Bible Belt”.

I’m anxious to see the grade on my research paper- the one on the Humanist Manifestos and Humanism.  That will be interesting.  If it turns out similarly or worse, the next thing is, how do I prove it when he gives vague comments?

You know there’s something up if a Christian has their sneaky suspecions.  She doesn’t know how I can prove it either, but she is wondering what grade I’ll end up with on the research paper.  Even then, she’s not sure how I can prove anything though.

The good thing is, that one student has not bothered me outside of class.  I’m taking that as a good sign.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 25 September 2007 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
truthaddict - 25 September 2007 11:36 AM

mriana,

Arundhati Roy said to Howard Zinn: “No one can pressuraize me, you know. I mean, they don’t have a handle on me. It’s only if I wanted to accept that pressure that it would be a pressure.”

Don’t let this other student get to you.  You are sort of writing for yourself (or for those who come to your WWW site), and certainly not for that other student.

I would also emphasize to the professor that you value his suggestions on how to improve your paper.  You might even bring back the 95 paper and make the point that you aren’t asking him to raise the grade, but to raise the quality of your work, and his comments are appreciated.  Or something like that.  Anyway if he doesn’t give you any comments and just gives you a 99% that doesn’t help you either.

[ Edited: 26 September 2007 07:04 AM by Jackson ]

Posted: 25 September 2007 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

Despite what English teachers might say, and even if the prompt is “Write about how the animals felt when the rainforest was cut down. There are no wrong answers.” writing against the grain and getting a good grade is about as easy as clawing one’s way through Hell and 50 miles of rock.

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 25 September 2007 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I would also emphasize to the professor that you value his suggestions on how to improve your paper.  You might even bring back the 95 paper and make the point that you aren’t asking him to raise the grade, but to raise the quality of your work, and his comments are appreciated.  Or something like that.  Anyway if he doesn’t give you any comments and just gives you a 99% that doesn’t help you either.

Quite true, Jackson, but that was basically what I was asking him when I asked, “What do you mean by “It’s not what I had in mind”?”  He didn’t define it or give me any ideas on how to improve my writing.  Just telling me what he meant by that statement would be a start.

BTW, since Hemant Mehta was in the short essay, I shared it with him.  He didn’t understand why I was being harassed about it, then said I must be doing something right.  He liked it too.  smile

Yes, logic, it is.  It really is.  Just like kicking your way out of the closet in the Bible Belt.  I am not going to back down on my papers, but if the prof can give actual constructive criticism on the writing itself, I won’t complain.  So far he hasn’t nor did he give me an actual answer to what he meant by “It’s not what I had in mind.”  That would help if he would though.

Signature 

Mriana