Colorado Springs, CO USA
Posted: 25 September 2007 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-09-25

Hi, just thought I’d introduce myself before posting. I live in Colorado Springs, mostly, but I also lived and live in Cupertino, CA and Jacksonville, Fl. I acquired my screen name from a lyric in a Snoop Dog song (I hope that doesn’t turn anybody off, I love rap).

Like many, I believe, I came to atheism and free thinking gradually over many years. But looking back I decided I never really believed in religion or any man made systems. I tried very hard in adolescence and young adulthood to shoe horn my thinking into the narrow minded bigoted supernatural religious world (I apologize right now for anybody I may have converted or saved, I was only trying to fit in). During my late twenties and thirties I generally ignored religion, (though I did become addicted to religious shows like the Benny Hinn and the 700 club). Then I moved to Cupertino from Colorado Springs which was the biggest and best thing to happen to me. I was immediately exposed to different cultures, religions, and sexual orientations. My friends were no longer religious white americans but asians, africans, europeans, south americans, gays, everything. My first job in CA was with an animation house. Artists, I came to find out, are from Centauri Five. In my second job, I worked with Scientists, many from Berkley, MIT, Princeton, watching and talking with them everyday set me on a whole different path. I watched how they thought, how they dealt with probems, the deduction needed to come up with acceptable answers. Anyway, in time I became an atheist naturalist, not vocal, but I devoured every popular science book I could read.

Two years ago I moved back to Colorado Springs. OH MY GOD! Are these people idiots? God, Jesus, fortune tellers, HYPOCRACY…all in such a small community. But how do you change this situation? One day at a time, one ear at a time?

I’m glad I’m a member of CFI.

Posted: 25 September 2007 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

Wow, cool story. Living in Cupertino must have been interesting—anything to do with Apple? I’m an inveterate mac-head so I had to ask ...

wink

Anyway hope the forum can help you out. Welcome!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 September 2007 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-09-25

I’m a MAC guy too. I worked for them as a temp for a short period back in the late 80s. But, I worked for a chip manufacturer in Sunnyvale for twelve years.

Thanks for your kind response.

Posted: 25 September 2007 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome.  Thanks for sharing your story.  I hope you enjoy it here.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 26 September 2007 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

My younger sister lives in Denver and she is a liberal Christian.

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

‹‹ I’m from Albuquerque, NM      Greetings ››