Sea of Dreams
Posted: 25 September 2007 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

There didn’t seem to be anything worthwhile playing, and my wife wanted to take me out to lunch and a movie for my birthday.

We decided to see Sea of Dreams since it was shown at a couple of film festivals, but had no reviews. 

It was ghastly.  The whole thing was based on third world mythology and religion and took place on an Island off of Mexico or South America.  The photography was good and the lead was beautiful as a little girl, a young teen and a young woman, but that ended the good things I can say about it.  It was boring, pointless, and based on a few stupid coincidences the villagers took as powerful signs.  It might have worked as a morality tale, metaphor or allegory, but it had none of these.  The acting ranged from weak to mediocre.  It didn’t even have the obligatory happy ending that might have made me feel just a tiny bit better as I left the theater.

My thumb’s down, I give it zero stars, a rate it on a scale of one to ten as a zero.

Can you guess how I feel about this film?

Occam

Posted: 25 September 2007 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

Happy Birthday! Planning on changing your screen name to Methuselah yet? wink

I like the idea of a movie review site here, but I’d only be able to offer reviews of movies I can take my 7 year-old daughter to, since I don’t see much else. Any “must see” films out there?

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 25 September 2007 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I’m guessing you didn’t like it (?). grin  Happy birthday, Occam!

Posted: 25 September 2007 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7613
Joined  2007-03-02

Happy Birthday, Occam.  Sorry you didn’t enjoy your birthday movie.  :(  I hope your birthday went well otherwise.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 25 September 2007 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

Sorry Occam, but I’m new to this forum and I didn’t know that it was your birthday.  I received warm greetings from you and I didn’t even know it.  Happy birthday.  Sorry the movie was a bust.  Looking on the bright side, I’m sure that it was nice to spend time with your significant other.

Razzie

Posted: 26 September 2007 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14

Happy belated birthday, Occam, a day late and a dollar short, but there you are. Sorry you didn’t enjoy the film.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 September 2007 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

Happy birthday, and I’m guessing that this was worse than Eragon.

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 29 September 2007 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Thanks for all your nice notes.  I didn’t post to complain about that movie, but to forewarn any of you who might think of seeing it.

Nah, Brennen, I figure William of Ockham was born about the beginning of the twelfth century so the name still works.  LOL

Occam

‹‹ Ahoy, maties!      Jesus sings ››