Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

[ Edited: 22 January 2008 08:40 PM by zarcus ]

Posted: 28 September 2007 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29
zarcus - 28 September 2007 09:20 PM

Perhaps someday, Richard will come back to earth. Maybe he will care about science again.

Maybe he will take Tango lessons. Or maybe he’ll open a Starbucks coffee shop. No matter what “Richard” decides to do next, I think he’ll do just fine.

Posted: 28 September 2007 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03
zarcus - 28 September 2007 09:20 PM

In Richard Dawkins’ op-ed in free inquiry [Oct. / Nov. ‘07] - TGD Phenomenon (Part 2), he again response to criticisms. To begin I will say I was not impressed with, Part 1 of The God Delusion Phenomenon, and here I again find Richard is incomplete.

Perhaps someday, Richard will come back to earth. Maybe he will care about science again.

I’m still buying the issue on the newstand, will see if it is there tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

I got the Blind Watchmaker off the shelf for another thread and reread some sections, and I agree 100% with Zarcus. In the Blind Watchmaker Dawkins makes a very clear, thorough exposition of evolution and natural selection. The book focused on Science. It showed that natural selection was the explanation, not ‘design’—but it did not get into polemics about whether God exists and whether religion is useful and all the bad things religion has done (but then again it was ~15 years before 9/11)

If Dawkins is not going to take that role then someone else will have to—a strong secularist with good communication skills who emphasizes that natural causes explain our universe, and that science is unafraid of questions—it is designed to SEEK them out and ANSWER them. I think the route to debunking religion is through science and the ‘joy of reality’ .