1 of 7
McCain: America a “Christian Nation” (Merged)
Posted: 29 September 2007 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Check it out HERE.

I would probably have to say yes, that the Constitution established the United States of America as a Christian nation. But I say that in the broadest sense. The lady that holds her lamp beside the golden door doesn’t say, “I only welcome Christians.” We welcome the poor, the tired, the huddled masses. But when they come here they know that they are in a nation founded on Christian principles.

Such as the principle that “[N]o religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States”? Or that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”? Sort of odd to call those “Christian” principles, no? I’d call them secular principles.

[ Edited: 29 September 2007 04:46 PM by dougsmith ]
 Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 29 September 2007 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

Poor McCain. He knows this is his last chance.

Posted: 29 September 2007 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Yeah, but most of the other Republican hopefuls can out-bigot and out-pander him so even this won’t work.

Occam

Posted: 29 September 2007 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

He is sadly mistaken to say that the Constitution establishes the U.S. as a Christian Nation.  Where does he get that idea?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 29 September 2007 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2007-09-29

True, that’s always a shocker to me. Whenever someone declares that they are justified because the constitution declared us as Christians. You’d be surprised how much I have heard that before..

Posted: 30 September 2007 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  195
Joined  2007-07-24
Mriana - 29 September 2007 07:51 PM

He is sadly mistaken to say that the Constitution establishes the U.S. as a Christian Nation.  Where does he get that idea?

Most of the Republican primary voters think it.

It’s like how Obama touts expanding the mortgage credit, a tax break to the upper middle class, as a way of helping the poor.

Posted: 30 September 2007 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

It gets worse the more religious the Repooplican is.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 30 September 2007 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-09-30

In the news today I saw an article on John McCain with him saying that “this nation was founded on Christian values”. Is he pandering to the religious right, or does he really believe this?

This is the letter I sent to him on his website:

In response to your recent comment “This nation was founded on Christian values”. What values would those be exactly? Women are to remain silent and serve men? A father displeased with his daughter may sell her into slavery. A disobedient child should be stoned to death? Eternal torture and suffering for non-believers?  War on unbelieving nations, oh never mind we already have that. Deists many of whom despised the Christian religion founded this nation. Why don’t you know that? Thomas Jefferson said, “Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man”. I understand the need for religion is important to many, but come on. Don’t go around re-writing history just to garner support from people who think the world was created after the domestication of the dog.

I’m sure it won’t have any impact on him. However, it sure made me feel better to write it.

Posted: 30 September 2007 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

What a bully McCain is.  Convert or get out, huh?!

Posted: 01 October 2007 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion

no dissenting votes in the 5th Congress

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 01 October 2007 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
truthaddict - 01 October 2007 09:09 AM

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion

no dissenting votes in the 5th Congress

Hey, great find, truthaddict! I wasn’t aware of that document. Very interesting. Thanks!

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 October 2007 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

HERE is a great webpage with a list of quotes and documents on the same subject: the separation of church and state in the US.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 October 2007 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

The Muslims and the Jews are now upset at McCain for making his comment. And McCain’s response?

“What I do mean to say is the United States of America was founded on the values of Judeo-Christian values, which were translated by our founding fathers which is basically the rights of human dignity and human rights.”

Doesn’t help, does it? wink

Posted: 01 October 2007 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-07-16

he is trying to have his cake and eat it too

Signature 

Posted: 01 October 2007 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

So many documents that state the U.S. was not founded on Judeo-Christian values, yet people are still under a misconception which is perpetuated by those we have voted into office.  rolleyes  What is wrong with our educational system?

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 01 October 2007 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2007-07-16
Mriana - 01 October 2007 04:29 PM

So many documents that state the U.S. was not founded on Judeo-Christian values, yet people are still under a misconception which is perpetuated by those we have voted into office.  rolleyes  What is wrong with our educational system?

its administered by the state, “those we have voted into office.”

Signature 

1 of 7