Impeachment - Yes, No, Who?
Posted: 05 October 2007 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Although this topic has simmered down the last few weeks, it’s probably going to come back strong in the next few months.

What are your feelings about the proposed impeachment of the president, the vice-president or both?  What reasons do you have for your view?  What effect on the country do you think such an effort would have?

Occam

Posted: 05 October 2007 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-03-11

Both.
Bush lied or falsified reasons for going to war with Iraq to Congress.
Cheney was complicit and just as guilty; he made and endorsed the same claims.

None of the U.S. intelligence reports explicitly claimed or had evidence that Iraq was working on a WMD program or was involved in the 9/11 attacks, intelligence reports were quite to the contrary for both claims, yet the Bush White House claimed the affirmative, nonetheless.

U.S. House Resolution 333:
The resolution charges that Vice President Cheney:

1.  has purposely manipulated the intelligence process to deceive the citizens and Congress of the United States by fabricating a threat of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, as well as
2.  fabricating a threat about an alleged relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda, in order to justify the use of the U.S. Armed Forces against Iraq in a manner damaging to U.S. national security interests; and
3.  in violation of his constitutional oath and duty, has openly threatened aggression against Iran absent any real threat to the United States, and has done so with the proven U.S. capability to carry out such threats, thus undermining U.S. national security.

Posted: 05 October 2007 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7573
Joined  2007-03-02

I think the Shrub and Dick should be impeached.  They have done so much that there should be no question as to whether or not they should be impeached.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 05 October 2007 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

I’d love to see them impeached mostly ecause it would be for something substntive, for the violation of our laws and principles as a nation, not just for a quickie in the oval office. But sadly, that’s not the America we live in. We’re much more concerned with pecadillos than the meaning of the constitution or any of the things that matter in a democrcy. It’s so far-fetched that I can’t really speculate effectively on what it would mean. I tend to think if it did happen, it might mean the nation actually recognized the danger Bush’s kind of thinking and actions pose to our freedom and our position in the world. But I can also see the Dems viewing it as a partisan opportunity and not really pursuing it in the name of anything higher.

Sorry, must be in a cynical mood today.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 05 October 2007 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11

Clinton ruined a dress, Bush ruined a nation.

(actually two nations)

Posted: 05 October 2007 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

I’d impeach them both. They’re both up to their necks with violations of the constitution, both for violations of the Geneva Conventions and for domestic spying without a warrant. I view the first as more heinous, however. The “signing statements” as well are a total farce.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 October 2007 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22
mckenzievmd - 05 October 2007 08:47 PM

But I can also see the Dems viewing it as a partisan opportunity and not really pursuing it in the name of anything higher.

What’s interesting, Brennen, is that the rank and file Democrats are all up in arms pushing for impeachment, but the Democratic congressmen talk about it, but aren’t pushing for actually doing it.  For example, Nancy Pelosi said, “Impeachment is off the table.”

Occam

Posted: 05 October 2007 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam - 05 October 2007 08:58 PM

What’s interesting, Brennen, is that the rank and file Democrats are all up in arms pushing for impeachment, but the Democratic congressmen talk about it, but aren’t pushing for actually doing it.  For example, Nancy Pelosi said, “Impeachment is off the table.”

I wonder what they’d do, though, if they felt they had the votes. Pushing for impeachment looks impotent if you end up getting voted down by the Republican minority. They need a supermajority to push this through, I believe.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 October 2007 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-11
dougsmith - 05 October 2007 09:03 PM
Occam - 05 October 2007 08:58 PM

I wonder what they’d do, though, if they felt they had the votes. Pushing for impeachment looks impotent if you end up getting voted down by the Republican minority. They need a supermajority to push this through, I believe.

yes they do but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_to_impeach_George_W._Bush

Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE) has raised the possibility of impeachment

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) said, ““I tell you, Mr. President, if [Ignacio Ramos or Jose Compean]—especially after this assault—are murdered in prison, or if one of them lose their lives, there’s going to be some sort of impeachment talk in Capitol Hill.”

In July 2006, Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) stated on Alex Jones’ radio show “I would have trouble arguing that he’s been a Constitutional President, and once you violate the Constitution and be proven to do that I think these people should be removed from office.”

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?SessionId=50&GA=94&DocTypeId=HJR&DocNum=0125

Washington state senator Eric Oemig introduced Senate Joint Memorial 8016 in February 2007 calling on Congress to investigate and consider the impeachment of President Bush.

As of July 2007, a total of 80 cities and townships in the United States had passed declarations calling for the impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney.

In October 2005, an anti Iraq war organization, After Downing Street, commissioned a poll by the independent Ipsos Public Affairs Research,[42] which found that by a margin of 50% to 44% Americans say that President Bush should be impeached if he lied about the war in Iraq.

A March 16, 2006 poll by American Research Group showed that 42% of American adults favored impeaching Bush and 49% oppose this.

According to Angus Reid, an InsiderAdvantage poll around May 1, 2007, found 39% of American voters to favor impeachment of George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, and 55% opposed.[51] Analyzing these numbers, Bob Barr, who initiated the Clinton impeachment hearings, said that “this indicates the surprising depth of dissatisfaction with Bush.”

On July 6, 2007, a telephone poll conducted by the American Research Group found that 45% of American adults favored the US House of Representatives beginning impeachment proceedings against President George W. Bush, with 46% opposing the proceedings. In the same poll, 54% wanted impeachment proceedings against Vice President Dick Cheney, and 40% were opposed.

The public organizing and speaking their voice might dissuade those who oppose impeachment if they want to be reelected next term.

Posted: 08 October 2007 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

Bush - and many of his associates - not only deserves to be impeached, but he deserves to be indicted, handed over to the ICC and tried for violating the Nuremberg Principles, Geneva Conventions, UN Charter, Chemical Weapons Conventions (for the illegal use of white phosphorus), etc.

This isn’t just about lying. Lying is the least of his offenses, much like getting a blowjob was the least of Clintons.

Article VI of the US Constitution clearly states that all treaties signed are “the supreme law of the land.” We are signatories to the above mentioned “treaties” and many more that we have violated. So this government - and many before it - have by our own laws violated “the supreme law of the land” and should not just be removed from office, but found accountable for it.

From issues of torture to terrorism to acts of aggression to treaty violations this government deserves to have its ass put in the stir!

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 08 October 2007 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2007-08-27

I read john dean’s and al gore’s books and it’s just outrageous the facts they wrote about.  Right wingers had bulldog ken starr and who does the left have?  Starr hounds clinton over almost nothing for 8 yrs and the dems just roll over when REAL serious illegal acts have been committed by bush and co.  There must be some kind of secret class inside both parties with a similar agenda.

More facts:  Cheney frames his right hand man Libby who takes the hit because a pardon/commute is certain with regards to a manical act of outing a CIA operative for political payback.  Through appointments we have a supreme court that’s almost completely biased.  Constitutional checks and balances thrown out of whack to favor an authoritarion exc. branch (bush-cheney) that writes over a thousand signing statements (saying the president is above this new law) that totals more than the 3 previous administrations combined. 

The books were illuminating but makes one beg ...why are the conservatives in the US doing this stuff?  What’s the agenda long term?  They “hide” in plain sight of the US population.  They are using our citizens and their blind patriotism to an amazing degree.  Anybody who refutes them gets branded and tossed aside. 

Big brother probably saw me write this.  How disgusting is our democracy now.  Beyond shame.  Into the criminal now.