ISRAEL’S SACRED TERRORISM: A study based on Moshe Sharett’s Personal Diary, and other documents
Posted: 12 October 2007 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

ISRAEL’S SACRED TERRORISM

I have been meditating on the long chain of false incidents and hostilities we have invented, and on the many clashes we have provoked which cost us so much blood, and on the violations of the law by our men-all of which brought grave disasters and determined the whole course of events and contributed to the security crisis. - Sharett

I found this book at Half Priced Books.

It’s not as good as stuff some of the New Historians like Ilan Pappe or Normon Finklestein have come out with but its still pretty valuable for historical purposes.

Also, Shlomo ben Ami made some revealing comments on Democracy Now! some months back in a debate with Finklestein:

AMY GOODMAN: And Shlomo Ben-Ami, your response to those who continue to say that at that time, at the time of the establishment of the state of Israel and before, that it really was empty, that Jews came to a place that was not populated.

SHLOMO BEN-AMI: Of course, it is nonsense. I mean, it was populated. Obviously, it was populated. I mean, the notion that existed, I think it was Israel Zangwill, the first to say that we are — we came a nation without a land to a land without a people. Obviously, it was not true, but again, part of the tragedy was that the Palestinians, as such, did not have — the Palestinian peasants did not have the full control of their own destiny. Part of that land was bought by the Zionist organizations from Affendis, landowners living in Turkey or anywhere else throughout the Ottoman Empire, and these people were inevitably evicted by these kind of transactions. But as a whole, I think that not more than 6 or 7% of the entire surface of the state of Israel was bought. The rest of it was either taken over or won during the war.

Anyway, I want to see what others know about this stuff and their comments.

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 13 October 2007 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

One of the other issues I have dealt with others on is the Camp David talks.

We are told that Barak offered 95% to Arafat and he rejected it. One of the Israelis involved, Ron Pundak:

The Israeli offer at Camp David was based on a map, which included an annexation of approximately 12% without territorial compensation. Towards the end of the talks, the Americans made clear to the Palestinians that the maximal Israeli offer included an annexation of 9% and a compensation of 1%. In Camp David, Barak didn’t take the necessary step to reach the desired endpoint, and the version presented in retrospect by Israeli spokespersons, claiming that Barak at Camp David offered 95% and an additional 5% in compensation, or alternatively 97% and another 3% compensation, is a form of rewriting history.

The deceptions dont stop there. Clintons aid, Robert Malley described Camp David this way:

The final and largely unnoticed consequence of Barak’s approach is that, strictly speaking, there never was an Israeli offer. [...] The ideas put forward at Camp David were never stated in writing, but orally conveyed. They generally were presented as US concepts, not Israeli ones; indeed, despite having demanded the opportunity to negotiate face to face with Arafat, Barak refused to hold any substantive meeting with him at Camp David out of fear that the Palestinian leader would seek to put Israeli concessions on the record. Nor were the proposals detailed. If written down, the American ideas at Camp David would have covered no more than a few pages. Barak and the Americans insisted that Arafat accept them as general “bases for negotiations” before launching into more rigorous negotiations.

So while we can see that ben-Ami has admitted that 95% of Israel was taken by force, that Sharett’s diary admitted that “the security crisis” is largely an Israeli invention, that all the way up to Camp David Israel has rejected peace. Actually peace offers have been around for decades and Israel and the US have rejected all of them. There were offers before Sadat offered Israel peace in 1971 just as there were offers throughout the 80s, which one Israeli military analyst described the invasion of Lebanon as a way of putting an end to the “peace offensive” (it really says alot when peace is referred to as offensive). There have also been the Saudi Peace plan, Iran’s offer in May 2003, the Geneva Accords Initiative and countless UNSC resolutions that the US has vetoed.

All of this can help put the “road map” and Israel’s continued expansion in context. I have even heard some say that Israel left the Gaza strip. Even if we ignore that Israel still dominates Gaza (and dont forget the shelling of the family last year or the bombing of the electrical plant) it should be pointed out that Israel expanded more into the West Bank in the same period as the forced evacutions in Gaza.

All of this has only been possible with foriegn assistance and for the last 40 years this has primarily meant the US. This occupation, colonial expansion and apartheid system is funded largely by us. I dont feel Israel controls us, they serve us and if we want “peace” in the region the first place to begin is with US policies in the region. This means the end of foreign occupations and neglegent support of Israel and other brutal governments in the region (ie Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan and the Gulf states). Since it is obvious the US government will not change these things the American population needs to look at civil disobedience, strikes and boycotting.

[ Edited: 13 October 2007 09:55 AM by truthaddict ]
 Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 01 November 2007 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-03-11

Who are the two usual suspects that veto any peace initiative in the Mid East crisis?
The U.S. and Israel.

Go figure…............