2 of 2
“Contrary to the conventional wisdom, the Chinese government is not antireligious.”
Posted: 15 October 2007 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16
cgallaga - 15 October 2007 09:37 AM

No I had not, thanks for the tip though, his blowback trilogy seems potentially interesting.

they are and, at least the first book, are a product of his academic studies of Asia.

he refers to the Cultural Revolution as blowback from Imperial Japans policies - rape of nanking, etc - in that Japans murderous rampage created the blowback of chinese peasants giving support of Mao to counter it. (his first book peasant nationalism is about this subject)

one might be able to argue that what China is attempting to do with bringing religion back in the fold is to stimy blowback from religious persecution. If they can provide some form of ventilation then they wont have to worry about (would-be) monks uprising.

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 15 October 2007 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

cgallaga,

Without any interest in outing you… do you mind my asking if you are native Chinese or if you have lived in the West, or are originally from the West?  Is your perspective similar to that of many others in HK?

I remember hearing a story, not so long ago, about a proposition to put warning labels in Bibles.  Wasn’t that in Hong Kong?

Posted: 15 October 2007 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

I also found this article pertinent to the original title topic of this thread.  Hu Jintao has stated that he holds a “scientific view of development.”  It sounds to me like a bunch of false rhetoric.  What do you guys think?  Is he semantically hijacking that buzz phrase that we so often use around here… “the scientific outlook?”

Posted: 16 October 2007 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18
erasmusinfinity - 15 October 2007 08:33 PM

cgallaga,

Without any interest in outing you… do you mind my asking if you are native Chinese or if you have lived in the West, or are originally from the West?  Is your perspective similar to that of many others in HK?

I am from the west, but I have lived half of my adult life and a 1/3 of my whole life in Hong Kong. I have no idea what others perspective is, and would not be behaving very skeptically if i thought I did.

I remember hearing a story, not so long ago, about a proposition to put warning labels in Bibles.  Wasn’t that in Hong Kong?

Yeah I brought that up somewhere round here.  It was a letter campaign to our telecom authority complaining about the gross obscene and violent nature of the bible and demanding it be wrapped as similar (Categor 3) material with warning and all.  It was in part as a response to a complaint about a student newspaper that was talking about fringe sexual activity. The Telecom Authority (some say under pressure from Christian groups) sued the students and was threatening heavy fines and possible jail. So some other student groups brought up the incest, debauchery and violence in the bible.

2 of 2