1 of 3
Caffeine
Posted: 15 October 2007 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16

I couldnt decide where to put this:

I dont normally drink coffee but I did this morning because I was tired and came in early. I feel nervous and jittery like I am on acid or some kind of speed. Is this normal? I swear, I feel like I am living a Hunter S Thompson book and Im Raoul Duke…

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 15 October 2007 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21

Well, for your first time probably yes. However, after you drink it everyday you get used to the high, the high doesn’t feel as high as the first time you drank it. Depending on your size, weight, genetics, etc… Caffeine can effect you differently then others that are of a different makeup.

I know I drink too much coffee, soda, energy drinks and such, and I’m sure these things contribute to my problem with not being able to sleep. I really need to get in the habit of drinking healthier stuff, perhaps just water would do. But I have a attachment for flavor and the jolt. I may be a caffiene junkie\addict. :(

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 15 October 2007 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2007-07-16

do we need to do an intervention? LOL

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2007 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21

I don’t think it would be a bad idea. smile

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 15 October 2007 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2007-10-09

I remember the first time I drank a Red Bull I had heart palpitations…  By the end of my sophomore year in college I could drink four of them and take a nap in an hour.  LOL

Posted: 15 October 2007 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-07-16
godblessgeorgecarlin - 15 October 2007 02:07 PM

I remember the first time I drank a Red Bull I had heart palpitations…  By the end of my sophomore year in college I could drink four of them and take a nap in an hour.  LOL

that cant be good

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2007 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-09

Well, I take it back.  It was a Red Bull knock off.  So, it was probably less potent.

Posted: 15 October 2007 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Yes, we rapidly become habituated to caffeine.  It used to be my drug of choice, but after a cardiac problem I’m not supposed to even have a standard Coke or Pepsi.  However, when some medication caused my blood pressure to drop to 59/48 and I almost passed out.  I had two large glasses of water and an eighth of a Vivarin (caffeine) tablet.  That was about equal to one-quarter cup of coffee.  My BP went back up to low normal.  At the same time I enjoyed the alertness from a shot of caffeine that my body was no longer expecting. 

What you’ve learned is that you shouldn’t overdo it.  Start with a Coke, then maybe Instant coffee with milk and sugar.  Then work up to the “Energy” drinks or Starbuck’s specials.  However, be aware that it takes a week of feeling limp after one stops before withdrawal is over.

Occam

Posted: 16 October 2007 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

I have never noticied of any effect of caffeine on me. I know that the caffeine effects differs between persons, but I wonder if it has a strong placebo effect.

Well, maybe I should try how I am without caffeine in order to see any diference.

Posted: 16 October 2007 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

I remember when we had our first child, my wife was very conscientious during pregrancy and had no alcohol or caffiene. After the baby was born, we were over at some friends’ for a summer cookout and she had a Coke—she hadn’t had one for months and it just looked good….

Well she was breast-feeding and it must have gone straight to the baby. He was wide-eyed big surprise until 11-12 at night, where he usually was asleep early.  My wife went to bed and I was up rocking this little fellow who was on-the-alert…

Posted: 16 October 2007 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Barto, I’ve known people who get very jumpy and have problems sleeping if they have a beverage with caffeine in it, even if they aren’t aware of it.  And, I’ve known people who could have six cups of strong coffee in the evening, not seem to be affected (other than needing to void) then being able to sleep without any problem.

I saw an interesting article today that said researchers found significant differences in rate of metabolism of caffeine in people.  Their preliminary indications were that those who metabolized it more slowly had a higher risk of coronary events.  Which kind of makes sense since it’s a fairly strong vasoconstrictor.  The longer one’s coronary arteries are constricted the higher the probability of some other thing happening like a tiny clot that would normally pass through causing blockage.

Occam

Posted: 16 October 2007 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-09

I’ve been drinking yerba mate for a while, which has theobromine in addition to caffine in it.  Theobromine acts as a blood vessel widener and a nerve relaxer.  The buzz is pretty good, but I wonder how much healthier it really is.

Posted: 17 October 2007 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2007-08-31

Hi,

One we had a visitor who did want a real coffee, not a caffeine free. But as I made an espresso, I expected him not to notice the difference, so did make a caffeine free. He did not notice the difference, but afterwards my wife said, she could not sleep because of the caffeine…

GdB

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 17 October 2007 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

Occam, my wyfe says I have an ‘anti placebo effect’: I am allways trying to detect placebos so, according to what she says, I don’t realize of the effect of some things she prescribes me (she’s a physician), except that the drug were very strong. I miss the Rofecoxib , the best painkiller ever tried…

GBGC, did you try this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate?. It is very popular here, some people claims it has some stimulants effects, but I must admit I never felt them.

Posted: 18 October 2007 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-09

I use about 2-3 tablespoons in 1.5 cups of cold water and drink it through a filter straw.  I can usually refill the cup 3-4 times and still get a buzz off of it.  I don’t even wait for it to brew!  One time I put about 4.5 tablespoons in and I could feel the effects of even the tiniest sip!  I still drank the whole glass, and refilled it.  It was the most pleasantly wired I’d ever been.

Posted: 19 October 2007 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Barto, I like the concept of an ‘anti-placebo effect.’  LOL

I do agree that people can talk themselves into an amazing variety of things.  My daughter is extremely sensitive to MSG.  She always checks when she goes to a Chinese restaurant to make sure they don’t use any MSG because it gives her a severe headache.  Since it’s monosodium glutamate and glutamic acid is an amino acid that makes up a significant amount of our bodily protein, it seemed to me that her syndrome was probably psychological.  Being an experimentalist, when she visited I cooked some of my Indian dishes.  She was talking with other people and didn’t see me add the MSG.  She partook of all the food, had a great time, and was completely headache free for the rest of the evening.  However, I know that, had I told her about the MSG, she would have developed a miserable migraine.

Occam

1 of 3