2 of 2
Rules of Behaviour
Posted: 17 October 2007 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21
George - 17 October 2007 10:59 AM

Yeah, I originally had the word rules accompanied by quotations (i.e. “rules”). Somehow they got lost. Interestingly though, they did refer to them as THE RULES back in Cz. when I was a kid. I wonder if this has anything to do with me not being able to let go.

Well in the States they are often referred to as “rules” as well. Rules of etiquette and such. Taking back what I said, Perhaps “rules” would be accurate as they are conditions that govern behavior. However, there really is no enforcement of them except for maybe your parents, family, and friends that might say something when they feel your actions were socially unacceptable.

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 17 October 2007 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

I was raised to shake hands with everyone, and since I work with the public and introduce myself to people all day, I offer to shake hands with all my clients, which seems natural and comfortable. On the other hand, I also find that women often offer their hand much more gently, sort of a half handshake, and I generally take just their fingers unless they offer a fuller handshake. This is especially true of older women. The only odd reaction I’ve gotten to this was in college once, when a women responded “Well if you’re going to take my hand like that you have to kiss it.” Damn but if I wasn’t too flustered to take the hint!

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 17 October 2007 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2007-08-21
mckenzievmd - 17 October 2007 12:06 PM

I was raised to shake hands with everyone, and since I work with the public and introduce myself to people all day, I offer to shake hands with all my clients, which seems natural and comfortable. On the other hand, I also find that women often offer their hand much more gently, sort of a half handshake, and I generally take just their fingers unless they offer a fuller handshake. This is especially true of older women. The only odd reaction I’ve gotten to this was in college once, when a women responded “Well if you’re going to take my hand like that you have to kiss it.” Damn but if I wasn’t too flustered to take the hint!

I don’t feel comfortable shaking a womens hand firmly. I feel I want to treat them gently, and therefore take there hand gently and shake it gently. I wonder how women feel about this.

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2007 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
morgantj - 17 October 2007 10:56 AM
Mriana - 17 October 2007 01:01 AM

My grandfather taught me, that when I do shake someone’s hand, “Make it firm, not a dead fish.”  In other words, I maybe a female, but whimpy handshakes are not necessary.

On the otherside, I never appreciate it when somebody crushes the bones in my hand becuase they believe that firm hand shake is necessary.

LOL  Morgan, I couldn’t crush your hand if I tried.  My grandfather wasn’t talking about a bone crushing firmness though.  He was talking about not giving dead fish handshakes.  He wanted me to be feminine, but not delecately dainty.  You do know what a dead fish handshake is don’t you?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 17 October 2007 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2007-08-21
Mriana - 17 October 2007 04:05 PM
morgantj - 17 October 2007 10:56 AM
Mriana - 17 October 2007 01:01 AM

My grandfather taught me, that when I do shake someone’s hand, “Make it firm, not a dead fish.”  In other words, I maybe a female, but whimpy handshakes are not necessary.

On the otherside, I never appreciate it when somebody crushes the bones in my hand becuase they believe that firm hand shake is necessary.

LOL  Morgan, I couldn’t crush your hand if I tried.  My grandfather wasn’t talking about a bone crushing firmness though.  He was talking about not giving dead fish handshakes.  He wanted me to be feminine, but not delecately dainty.  You do know what a dead fish handshake is don’t you?

The bonecrushers are more common between guys shaking hands, who ever crushes the others hand is the MAN. LOL.

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2007 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

Okay, I did it! I just came back from a short meeting (with two women) and I made sure I was the first one to offer my hand. Nobody cared. I am still here. (But I won’t do it again.)

:grin:

P.S. I also ate a piece of sausage a couple of weeks ago after about 15 years of not eating meat. What a month!

Posted: 17 October 2007 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2007-08-21
George - 17 October 2007 04:55 PM

Okay, I did it! I just came back from a short meeting (with two women) and I made sure I was the first one to offer my hand. Nobody cared. I am still here. (But I won’t do it again.)

P.S. I also ate a piece of sausage a couple of weeks ago after about 15 years of not eating meat. What a month!

You are quite the adventurer.

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2007 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29
morgantj - 17 October 2007 08:49 PM
George - 17 October 2007 04:55 PM

You are quite the adventurer.

LOL  LOL  LOL

2 of 2

‹‹ Meaning      Morals ››