1 of 2
CFI Second Life
Posted: 16 October 2007 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2007-06-27

It may be an stupid idea, but anyone here ever considered the idea of creating a virtual office of the CFI in the Second Life ? There is absolutely no place to discuss skeptic ideas there…

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2007 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15405
Joined  2006-02-14

Excellent idea, Stefano. Unfortunately I don’t play Second Life, but maybe there are some members or CFI employees who do ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 October 2007 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

Second life? I’m still trying to deal with the dearth of skepticism in the first one!

Posted: 16 October 2007 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-27
dougsmith - 16 October 2007 10:28 PM

Excellent idea, Stefano. Unfortunately I don’t play Second Life, but maybe there are some members or CFI employees who do ...

I joined it yesterday and already got involved in a medicine education project. There are many non-profitable education institutions there, but apparently none about skepticism and atheism. A building with offices for the CFI communities, audio and video about critical thinking, links to this website, distribution of CFI magazines, etc could be interesting.

Signature 

Posted: 18 October 2007 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2007-10-09

I’ve heard it is hard to get into…  there’s just too much in the world and conversely that makes it pretty opaque for newbies.  I am curious but I probably don’t have time for it

Posted: 22 October 2007 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

I am signed up on second life.  I haven’t found much use for it yet, but I am open to the possibility.  If you want to start up some sort of secular humanism group within it I would come check it out.  There is a humanism group on there that has weekly meetings, and there is some sort of group running under the title “atheist.”  Try searching it again.

Posted: 23 October 2007 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-27
erasmusinfinity - 22 October 2007 11:08 PM

I am signed up on second life.  I haven’t found much use for it yet, but I am open to the possibility.  If you want to start up some sort of secular humanism group within it I would come check it out.  There is a humanism group on there that has weekly meetings, and there is some sort of group running under the title “atheist.”  Try searching it again.

I found a place called “Atheist Center”, and there is a wall with links, including of the CFI…

By the way, I found a place called “Royal Society for the Advancement of the Natural Sciences”, but it was only a store with “victorian” itens.

Signature 

Posted: 23 October 2007 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

I have also found the “Atheist Center” but have not visited the “Royal Society for the Advancement of the Natural Sciences.”  I will check it out when get the chance.

There is also a place called “ROMA Humanism Garden.”  They have virtual meetings there every Sunday.  I tried attending one once.  It was a fast paced chat and difficult to involve myself in the discussion.  I think there is much potential in Second Life as an added “virtual reality” dimension to online communication.  But, it is still in a very elementary stages and I think it’s a bit more of a novelty than anything else right now.  Personally I much prefer forums over chat rooms that involve strangers.

Posted: 02 November 2007 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-11-02

I just joined Second Life and this is exactly what I’m hoping to get from it - community opportunities. I’m going to visit the ROMA Gardens and stroll around a bit.

Posted: 16 November 2007 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-27

If someone is interested in discussing the issue there, my avatar name is Stephanos Kowalski.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2007 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-11-18

Gee, I’ve been in Second Life for almost two years, and have been a member of Second Life Humanists for almost as long… We meet every Sunday for discussions (today’s topic was ‘Feminism and Humanism’); time 2 p.m. Pacific Time; place Roma Garden.  Our leader is Torin Golding (in real life an archaeologist).  It’s an interesting group since folks from many nations participate.  Usually 10-35 folks at each meeting, IM’ing.  Don’t believe all the stories about how hard it is to get into Second Life; it’s easier than getting through freshman year at most colleges, for sure! grin  If anyone wants more information, email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) . Oh, here’s a video I shot in Second Life (uploaded to YouTube):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=513iP6x_32I  .  It was submitted for the American Humanist Association video contest several months ago and did NOT place (though my followup video which was NOT shot in Second Life did win 2nd place…).  Enjoy the video, and come play with us in Second Life…. It’s a great place to live and make friends!

Posted: 18 November 2007 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-11-18

Oh, here’s the new blog where you can follow what’s going on in Second Life Humanism without having to enter Second Life (which I think is silly, but to each his/her own…):  http://slhumanism.blogspot.com .... The minutes of Sunday meetings (in all their chaotic glory) are posted…

Posted: 12 March 2009 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-06-27

I´m still in SL, but things didn´t change much. Of note, I met the librarian responsible for the HealthInfo Island, a huge SL island created by the US National Institute of Health. I didn´t have time to do any project with her, but once we both took a look at a chiropractor that does seminars on chiropraxy and about the “hidden truth” of vaccines, where he encourages parents to not vaccinate their children.

Pseudosciences and religions are slowly finding their way in SL. It would be good if they had some organized opposition.

Signature 

Posted: 17 June 2009 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2220
Joined  2007-04-26

Stefano, I’ve been exploring second life myself lately. Its an interesting place, but there is a bit of a learning curve. In particular I find it a bit of a chore to find the things you’re interested in. The search engine could be improved. I also ended up naked in public once or twice which was a bit embarrasing although no one else seemed to notice. I’ve spent a lot of time wandering about, and its been somewhat of a hit and miss situation. It seems like the times I find something very useful or interesting have been either sheer luck or by following leads given by other SL people such as yourself. Its definitely worth a look if you’ve never been there before and you have the time and the soul of an explorer. I could see how it could be very useful if CFI had a presence.

One of the most interesting things I’ve done in SL is go to live lectures. SciFri has one every Friday afternoon. They have a beautiful outdoor amphitheater ( where it never rains grin ), and 50 people or so usually show up to listen to the show, interact, and ask questions. I also went to a lecture in a nother location on the origin and evolution of galaxies. There were about 30 people there and the professor took question from the audience both during and after the lecture. It was a very interesting experience and very educational. Often times after the lectures the members of the audience hang around and discuss it among themselves. Its a great way to meet people and exchange ideas. If CFI had the time and money it could be a valuable way to bring in new members.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 17 June 2009 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-12-11

So, with two existing small humanist groups in Second Life, ROMA Humanism Garden and Second Life Humanists, plus public virtual lectures, CFI could promote them to CFI members for individual involvement, or take it on as a formal outreach project.  Or, in typical organizational fashion, start its own small SL group and expect everyone else to join it.  There’s already CFI outreach on Facebook, Myspace, and IRC, and via podcasting.  Such work is easily decentralized; any committed volunteer(s) could do it anywhere where there’s good bandwidth.

This could be yet another small stream encouraging younger freethinkers to trickle into the greater flow of activism and community, and maybe introduce some older ones to virtual reality.  Retirees, especially, would have LOTS of the free time needed for SL.  We have no shortage of seniors.

Last night I was at an atheist Meetup where a twentysomething used World of Warcraft as a metaphor.  The thirtysomething people had at least heard of such online/massive multiplayer worlds, but anyone who looked older just looked puzzled.

As I complained in http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/5947/ , freethought needs not only an infusion of youth, but also some intergenerational mixing to drag the oldbies out of their shells.  If that’s slow to come in real life, maybe we can see it in Second Life.

[ Edited: 17 June 2009 10:00 AM by josh_karpf ]

Posted: 17 June 2009 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  2220
Joined  2007-04-26

I agree there are many avenues by which to reach people. Second life is just one. It does have some advantages to a static message board in that you have a more realistic presence and the interaction is more lifelike and real time. Not to mention the fact that you get to look really great grin ( few people make themselves look old, ugly,bald or fat in SL although some do turn themselves into cartoon characters and animals).

[ Edited: 17 June 2009 12:18 PM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

1 of 2