2 of 2
CFI Second Life
Posted: 18 June 2009 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2007-06-27

The learning curve is really a problem. For the curious that want to try it, my suggestion is:

1. Use the search buttom (on the bottom of the screen)
2. Type “help people island” and hit the “search” buttom
3. Click on the first link named “help people island”
4. Hit the “teleport” buttom

At that place, trained volunteers will help you with the basics.

PS: of course, all this after going to the website http://www.secondlife.com , make your free registration, downloading the software and loging in

Signature 

Posted: 18 June 2009 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2007-06-27

Unless you want a big island with a team of paid officers, experienced builders and terraformers to make an amazing place, a CFI office could cost very little, with a small land, a house, some media players and some notecard-giving signs.

Signature 

Posted: 19 June 2009 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2230
Joined  2007-04-26

You’re right Stefano, help Island is a great place to go. The people there can be very helpful. The only issue I have had is that the helpers often get into conversations about stuff that goes right over everyone elses head and just ramble on amongst themselves unless a Noobie has a specific question and chimes in.

I would also recommend Caldon Oxbridge University as well, and NCI Caledon. They have lots of helpful people in both places. Very non-threatening for the Noobie, and lots of beginner classes where you can learn how to navigate, build things, dress up your avatar, earn money, and just have fun. It also a great place to meet other new people and learn from experienced individuals who come there just to help the Noobies. They also have a lot of free stuff there for people who are just getting started ( clothes, gestures etc.)

I agree a CFI location would not have to be complicated. It could be simple at first. It would be great if they eventually had the POI interviews in second life the way that SciFri does. If anyone is interested check out the CFI program today. Its on Science Island on Fridays from 11:00am-1:00pm SL time ( thats Pacific Standard Time). Its a nice place to start since usually no one will approach you. You can just go to the amphitheater and take a seat and listen to the talk. When the talk is over you can hang out and talk with some of the other people or explore the rest of the island. There is some really neat stuff there including a Rocket museum.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

2 of 2