Thanks for the responses everybody! And thanks for the welcomes to the forum. I’ll do my best to try to address each of you. I’ll begin by addressing erasmusinfinity and everyone else who replied to my original post.
Allow me to first apologize to you all. I failed to include this one important point in my original post: I prefer not to post my story on a public forum. My story is highly personal to me. And as you know, forums anywhere can rip you apart just for sharing. In fact some here have also expressed a desire for protecting their information. Then again, others have no issue with posting theirs. Go with whatever works for you.
So, if you want to keep your story more private, e-mail it to me. And if you’re interested, I will individually e-mail you my story; warts and all.
You all should know I’m not threatened by your rejection of god or religion. You can share anything with me. That being said, and while I think this forum probably already addresses this, I’ll suggest it anyway. Let’s agree to always be respectful of each other as we converse (not to say that anyone has written anything unkind so far).
Perhaps a few simple guidelines for story exchange would help. First, do you have any to suggest? I suggest the following to foster mutual respect when commenting on stories:
1) When one of us reveals something personal, others must share something equally personal in kind. If you don’t want to do that, then write nothing.
2) We are free to ask questions about anything and to openly say when we disagree and why. But we promise to avoid criticizing the content of any other person’s story or belief.
3) Stories must have a beginning, middle, and (if applicable) an end.
Got any story exchange comment/structure guidelines to add?
Thanks for your willingness to participate. But I’m not doing this to debate or air our opinions. I’m not here to try to persuade you about anything. I just want a chance to exchange stories; a chance to get to know one another, to learn from each other via our personal stories.
Thanks for merging the threads. Whew, less work for us all with just one!
Good question. What I mean by asking for your story is that you please:
1) Share your history. Start at the beginning of your atheism. Tell me about your worldview then and what’s influenced it until now.
2) Take me up to the present day. Include any key events, people, books or whatever and tell me what was unique or pivital about them in relation to your atheism.
3) Share how your being an atheist makes your life worthwhile, more enjoyable, or not. I’m not threatened by your rejection of/disinterest in gods or religion. You can share anything with me.
4) Above all, include lots of detail! By detail I mean your family/childhood, education, conversations remembered, influential books and people, anecdotes, personal reflections, doubts, poetry, or anything at all like that. You could put in what others or you yourself said and did at the time. Help me understand what was/is important to you, or not, and why.
As I mentioned above in my apology, I prefer not to post my story on a public forum. But I’d be happy to e-mail you a bit of it. What’s your e-mail address?
Your response is also refreshing, logicisrefreshing! But I have no questions for you yet. I know nothing about you! Please tell me your story (see descriptions I wrote to others above).
Okay. Be it as you wrote.
Thanks for “biting” Scott. And thanks for the link…interesting.
As you now know, I prefer not to post my story on a public forum. But I’d be happy to e-mail you a bit of it. What’s your e-mail address?
I welcome that too. Questions? Well like I wrote logicisrefreshing above, I have no questions for you yet. I know nothing about you! Tell me your story (please read what I wrote to others above). Thank you.