3 of 4
Are you willing to swap stories with me?
Posted: 27 October 2007 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
dweather - 27 October 2007 01:56 PM

You’re right, Jackson. I should’ve gone to the Intros and done that from the start. I’ll do that now.

Thanks.

[ Edited: 27 October 2007 02:46 PM by Jackson ]

Posted: 27 October 2007 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  151
Joined  2007-10-23

That’s incredible to me. I live in Virginia and have seen a bit of that, but nothing like New York! Ever think of moving to some place else?

[quote author=“erasmusinfinity”]I don’t think that anyone misrepresents any sort of christ because I’m rather convinced that there isn’t and wasn’t one.  Nothing really looks like Jesus because he is a made up story, “he” doesn’t look like anything.

I’m curious. Are you saying you know for a fact that the historical man Jesus never existed? If so, what specific sources reliably convinced you of that?

[quote author=“dweather”]Are you willing to share more with us on the forum about yourself? I for one would like to listen and learn from you.

[quote author=“erasmusinfinity”]I am very confused by these statements.  Type erasmusinfinity into the search field up above and see for yourself.

Sorry, I went and read in the search you suggested, but I don’t get what you mean. What specifically is confusing to you about my statements?

Posted: 27 October 2007 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21
dweather - 27 October 2007 04:29 PM

That’s incredible to me. I live in Virginia and have seen a bit of that, but nothing like New York!

New York is nothing.  You should visit Jerusalem.  They’re utterly off their rockers.  LOL

I’m curious. Are you saying you know for a fact that the historical man Jesus never existed? If so, what specific sources reliably convinced you of that?

No, I’m not saying that.  I do not know whether or not there was an actual person named Jesus.  I consider the idea to be a valid historical hypothesis, just as I consider it to be a valid hypothesis that Jesus was entirely a figure of legend.  There is not enough evidence to determine either way.  I am saying that the Jesus that people talk about most certainly didn’t exist.  The fable as it is told is nothing more than a hero myth, consistent with other hero myths of the day.  Like most myths and legends of the day, it is also fantastically absurd by modern day standards.  It is also inconsistent between its narratives, the supposed “gospel” accounts.  Further, as a character of fiction I don’t find Jesus to be particularly worthy of merit or praise.

Sorry, I went and read in the search you suggested, but I don’t get what you mean. What specifically is confusing to you about my statements?

I was confused by what you meant by “my story,” but if you are satisfied with what I have written in this thread then I guess my problem there has been solved.  I had assumed that you wanted to know something more about who I am, what I think, where I am coming from, why I think what I think, etc.  It would be rather difficult, for anyone I think, to sum themself up in a single essay.  There is much more about me, I think, revealed in my posts on this forum then there is in the narrative that I have concocted for myself here in this thread.  Or in any other such narrative that could be written.

Posted: 27 October 2007 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2007-09-03
erasmusinfinity - 27 October 2007 06:06 PM

No, I’m not saying that.  I do not know whether or not there was an actual person named Jesus.  I consider the idea to be a valid historical hypothesis, just as I consider it to be a valid hypothesis that Jesus was entirely a figure of legend.  There is not enough evidence to determine either way.  I am saying that the Jesus that people talk about most certainly didn’t exist.  The fable as it is told is nothing more than a hero myth, consistent with other hero myths of the day.  Like most myths and legends of the day, it is also fantastically absurd by modern day standards.  It is also inconsistent between its narratives, the supposed “gospel” accounts.  Further, as a character of fiction I don’t find Jesus to be particularly worthy of merit or praise.

The point is not whether there was a real historical person named Jesus, but rather whether the stories about him are true.  Virgin Birth, Purported Son of God, etc. —erasumusinf has summarized the facts which are in question…

[ Edited: 28 October 2007 10:43 AM by Jackson ]

Posted: 28 October 2007 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2007-10-23

[quote author=erasmusinfinity]No, I’m not saying that.  I do not know whether or not there was an actual person named Jesus.  I consider the idea to be a valid historical hypothesis, just as I consider it to be a valid hypothesis that Jesus was entirely a figure of legend.  There is not enough evidence to determine either way.  I am saying that the Jesus that people talk about most certainly didn’t exist.  The fable as it is told is nothing more than a hero myth, consistent with other hero myths of the day.  Like most myths and legends of the day, it is also fantastically absurd by modern day standards.  It is also inconsistent between its narratives, the supposed “gospel” accounts.  Further, as a character of fiction I don’t find Jesus to be particularly worthy of merit or praise.

Interesting…you strike me as someone who might be familiar with the ideas of mythology professor Joseph Campbell. Please correct me if I’m wrong. 

[quote author=erasmusinfinity]Further, as a character of fiction I don’t find Jesus to be particularly worthy of merit or praise.

Really?! That surprises me. I find much in his thinking, actions, and character that make him unique among, as you call it, figures of legend.

[quote author=erasmusinfinity]I was confused by what you meant by “my story,” but if you are satisfied with what I have written in this thread then I guess my problem there has been solved.  I had assumed that you wanted to know something more about who I am, what I think, where I am coming from, why I think what I think, etc.  It would be rather difficult, for anyone I think, to sum themself up in a single essay.  There is much more about me, I think, revealed in my posts on this forum then there is in the narrative that I have concocted for myself here in this thread.  Or in any other such narrative that could be written.

I see your point. And I agree with it. Of course a person cannot be captured entirely by any words. But I am grateful for your attempts.

Posted: 28 October 2007 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2007-10-23
Jackson - 27 October 2007 08:19 PM

The point is not whether there was a real historical person named Jesus, but rather whether the stories about him are true.  Virgin Birth, Purported Son of God, etc. —erasumusinf has summarized the facts which are in question…

I would like to read that. Would someone provide me a link to his summary?

Posted: 29 October 2007 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  970
Joined  2005-01-14

If the brief summary I have given here isn’t enough, DW, I’m afraid you’re going to have to ask a specific question.  What is it that you want to know?

Posted: 29 October 2007 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2007-10-23
advocatus - 29 October 2007 10:01 AM

If the brief summary I have given here isn’t enough, DW, I’m afraid you’re going to have to ask a specific question.  What is it that you want to know?

I want to know where this summary erasmusinfinity has written about Jesus can be found. Jackson suggested it would be worth reading.

Will you or someone else help me find it?

Thanks.

Posted: 29 October 2007 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19
dweather - 29 October 2007 11:08 AM

I want to know where this summary erasmusinfinity has written about Jesus can be found. Jackson suggested it would be worth reading.

Thanks.

The summary is in the earlier responses on this forum.  You also re-quoted it, although somewhat miss authored, on Oct 28 at 9:25 a.m.  It should read like this:

Jackson - 27 October 2007 08:19 PM

The The facts in question are the Virgin Birth, Purported Son of God, etc.  Erasmusinfinity summarized these claims as fable & legend.

I’d like to point out another misunderstanding I think you have Doug W.

[quote author=“dweather”]I hope you and I can reach a point where you might consider that we’re (religious people) all not a bunch of destructive jerks.

I doubt that anyone on this forum would argue that “all” religious people are destructive jerks.  I think the consensus on this forum is that religions increase the destructive jerk potential and in light of more efficient models of ethical teaching, such as secular humanism and critical thinking, most religions have become inadequate.
[quote author=“Bertrand Russell”]Christians hold that their faith does well, but other faiths do harm.  What I wish to maintain is that all faiths do harm. We may define ‘faith’ as a firm belief in something for which there is no evidence. When there is evidence, no one speaks of ‘faith’. We do not speak of faith that two and two are four or that the earth is round. We only speak of faith when we wish to substitute emotion for evidence.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 29 October 2007 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2007-10-23
dweather - 29 October 2007 11:08 AM

Thanks.

retrospy - 29 October 2007 12:10 PM

The The facts in question are the Virgin Birth, Purported Son of God, etc.  Erasmusinfinity summarized these claims as fable & legend.

My misunderstanding. Thank you for straightening that out!

Posted: 30 October 2007 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  178
Joined  2007-06-01

Oddly enough, I am doing something like this with a friend of mine from middle and high school days.  We re-connected recently (after about 5 years) and we began to have discussions on a more philosophical level than we ever did previously.

He is a Christian and I’m an Atheist.  But of course those terms do little to describe our true nature.  Since we live more than 3,000 miles away from each other we realized that we really didn’t know that much about each other due to the abbreviated nature of our visits over the years.  Since we are both older now (I’m 48 and he is 49) we have a great deal to catch up on.

We have begun to write handwritten letters to each other that provide more detail of our experiences and why we have arrived at the conclusions that frame our current thinking about things.

It has been an interesting experience and has presented some challenges.  It is not easy to go back through your life, picking out the events or influences that played strong roles in defining your views.  Since my letters are hand written, I’m not sure if I can easily transcribe them here.  But maybe I will some day.

Signature 

“Life is a Blur of Republicans and Meat” - Zippy

Posted: 30 October 2007 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2007-09-03
dweather - 23 October 2007 07:45 PM

Are you willing to swap stories with me? 

So, are you open enough to swap stories?

If you have any questions or concerns about me or anything else, feel free to contact me.

Respectfully,

Doug Weatherly

Doug I don’t understand this interest in ‘atheist’ stories
How many of these forums have you recently logged onto?.

There is one at http://www.atheists.com
[First dweather story-forum]
Then there is one at “Internet Infidels Discussion Board”
[2nd dweather story forum]

And there are others, right?

Posted: 31 October 2007 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

Just to be clear, it’s OK to have asked the same question of other similar fora. So long as this is a genuine interest in discussion, there’s nothing wrong with it.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 31 October 2007 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-10-11

hello everyone, I am new to participating in these forums and I am not an intellectual, nor am I an experienced debater, just someone who has walked a long and very hard road indeed and I am wary of all things and all people, I am a true skeptic.
I would like to say that ‘dweather’ sounds like a bit of a villain to me, or as someone has already observed, a little nefarious….....or maybe he is being a little devious.
To you, dweather, I say, that if you wish, as the title of your post suggests, to “swap stories”, then do so with honesty, truthfulness and openness on this forum.  Otherwise I suggest that you just enter into the discussion on the topics available or put forward new ones, ‘for inquiry’.

Julie   :grin:

Posted: 31 October 2007 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21
julieartist - 31 October 2007 09:41 AM

I am not an intellectual

julieartist - 31 October 2007 09:41 AM

I am a true skeptic.

Sounds to me like you are an intellectual indeed.  wink

3 of 4