NOW - PBS
Posted: 26 October 2007 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

Here’s something that will elicit a gag reflex from the NAF (New Atheist Followers).

http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/343/index.html

10 - 26 - 2007

God and Global Warming

About the Show

In August, NOW traveled with an unlikely alliance of Evangelical Christians and leading scientists to witness the breathtaking effects of global warming on Alaska’s rapidly changing environment. Though many in the evangelical community feel recognition of global warming is in opposition to their mission, the week-long trip inspired new thinking on the relationship between science and religion, and on our moral responsibility to protect the planet. Travel with NOW and the expeditionary group on a breathtaking and surprising journey to find common ground between earth and sky.

Perhaps this is part of the plot for scientist to destroy religion. Look for Harris dressed as a Polar Bear.

Posted: 26 October 2007 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Perhaps this is part of the plot for scientist to destroy religion.

I hope it’s not the reverse.

Occam

Posted: 26 October 2007 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2007-05-09
Occam - 26 October 2007 07:43 PM

Perhaps this is part of the plot for scientist to destroy religion.

I hope it’s not the reverse.

Occam

Of course it is, with a president who believes in the rapture, do you think they really care.  It’s a trick to lull us into complacency.

Posted: 27 October 2007 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4072
Joined  2006-11-28

Reminds me of E.O. Wilson’s recent book trying to get the evangelicals to see environmentalism as an interpretation of biblical concepts of stewardship of god’s creation. I for one think we have to get the religious on board with any attempt to make sound environmental policy, since we’re not going to talk many of them out of their delusions and they do vote, drive cars, etc. It is scary to deal with people who don’t recognize, understand, or respect science as the source of real knowledge, but they’re too powerful politically to ignore.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 27 October 2007 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-05-09

Oh, obviously. This isn’t an “unbeliever” issue. There’s plenty of unbelievers who don’t accept aspects of global climate change. Reaching out as scientist to try and persuade by showing is a natural path to take. It could be used for everyone, it is the process of learning. As pattern seeking animals it is hard to escape what is shown directly in time. We should stop battling the anit-evolutionist like they have a virus and accept they are not accepting what they can’t see in time relevant ways. We can show by what we have, offer the evidence, over and over etc. etc., I mean there is nothing to loose by this. Reach out to those believers that accept Evolution by Natural Selection to help. Christ, we’re talking about science here after all.

It’s time for Atheist to come down to earth again, be beacons of rationality. Worrying that it’s the “reverse” is idiocy because when it is we can tackle with the tools that we have, not try to demolish an entire belief system in the process.