1 of 2
Nostradamus
Posted: 28 October 2007 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21

Do you believe Nostradamus’s predictions were accurate and true and written with the same relations intended that people have applied to them. Or do you think they are nothing more then classic fortune telling techniques that take advantage of self-fulfilling prophecy and confirmation bias?

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 28 October 2007 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4076
Joined  2006-11-28

I vote B, though I would say the same for last week’s horoscope, and I can’t claim to be an expert on Nostradamus in particular. The few times I’ve run across discussion of him, I can’t see anything compelling in his story.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 28 October 2007 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

I vote for B too.  I don’t see anything he has said to be true and whatever he did say was twisted so it sounds like it is true.  There’s nothing there except coinsidence if one is to say that’s symbolism for this or that.  Then one is just making things up to make it fit.  rolleyes

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 29 October 2007 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15362
Joined  2006-02-14

I’ll take the latter option as well—this isn’t even close. What continually startles me is how every few years the same fuzzy blatherings are used to retroactively “predict” things that happened in the recent past. It’s so transparently silly as hardly to deserve mention, except that it does get a large amount of air-time from the media.

There have been any number of articles about Nostradamus and his predictions in Skeptical Inquirer, and James Randi even has a book about him. For a good web intro, check HERE at the Skeptic’s Dictionary and the links below.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 29 October 2007 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2007-10-12

One of Nosty’s predictions was said to be Adolph Hitler.  Particularly when he said:

Beasts wild with hunger will cross the rivers
    The greater part of the battlefield will be against Hister.

Wow!  Hister is almost Hitler!  The only problem is that his name was Adolph Shickelgruber (I’m not certain on the spelling, but Hister it ain’t).  Could Adoph have chosen “Hitler” because he had read Nostradamus?  That, or it being close to a coincidence are more plausible than the other way around.

I too vote B.

Signature 

“If there is no sufficient reason for war, the war party will make war on one pretext, then invent another… after the war is on.” - “Fighting Bob” La Follette

Posted: 29 October 2007 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

It could have been Hosteter for all we know.  That wild beast thing is no more reality than the book of Revelations.  It was probably just popular fiction at the time, just as Apocolyptic stories were in the day the author “John” wrote Revelations.  Who knows.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 31 October 2007 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

Yes, yes, yes, yes.  B!

Posted: 02 November 2007 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  957
Joined  2005-01-14

One of his most famous predictions (and the only one that actually had a date attached to it) predicted some kind of catastrophe in the year 1999.  Did anything ever come of that?

Posted: 02 November 2007 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
advocatus - 02 November 2007 02:40 AM

One of his most famous predictions (and the only one that actually had a date attached to it) predicted some kind of catastrophe in the year 1999.  Did anything ever come of that?

Yes. On June 12, 1999, Texas Governor George W. Bush announced he will seek the Republican Party nomination for President of the United States.

Posted: 02 November 2007 04:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15362
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 02 November 2007 04:00 AM

Yes. On June 12, 1999, Texas Governor George W. Bush announced he will seek the Republican Party nomination for President of the United States.

LOL  LOL

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 02 November 2007 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-03-11

Nostradamus wrote all of his quatrains in a two year period and it was after he had failed at writing the medieval equivalent to the “farmers almanac” that was so common in the middle ages which was just another stab at “predictions”. Other than that his writings are so vague it’s like the P.T. Barnum effect…..there’s somehting in it for everyone. It’s the same approach astrology takes.

Why don’t the proponents of Nastradaumus point something out “before” it happens? It’s always post hoc with them. Pure rubbish IMO!!

Posted: 02 November 2007 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-03-11

ummm…......I predict a catastrophe in the year of 2008,2009,2010, 2011,2012 etc, etc…..you get the picture.
you heard it here first!
$$$ pay me in cash and only in small bills $$$

Posted: 02 November 2007 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  4780
Joined  2007-10-05
skepticdave - 02 November 2007 06:36 PM

Why don’t the proponents of Nastradaumus point something out “before” it happens? It’s always post hoc with them. Pure rubbish IMO!!

Even worse, they often just make up stuff Nostradamus never wrote. Typical new-age mystical thinking.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 02 November 2007 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21
skepticdave - 02 November 2007 06:36 PM

Nostradamus wrote all of his quatrains in a two year period and it was after he had failed at writing the medieval equivalent to the “farmers almanac” that was so common in the middle ages which was just another stab at “predictions”. Other than that his writings are so vague it’s like the P.T. Barnum effect…..there’s somehting in it for everyone. It’s the same approach astrology takes.

ah yes, that was the term I was looking for, the “Forer effect” aka the “P.T. Barnum effect

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 03 November 2007 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I haven’t bothered to try it, but I’ll bet that if one does a google search for “catastrophe +(any year you want to put in here)” one would get some event some place in the world.  So, it doesn’t matter what they predict, they can always point to something, even if it’s an avalanche on Mount Aconcagua. 

Occam

Posted: 05 November 2007 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2007-10-12

I don’t have the time to look it up right now, but I read once about a ruler back in the days of the Hittites and Babylonians who consulted an Oracle prior to his attack on a neighboring kingdom.  The Oracle told him something on the order of “If you attack, a great kingdom will fall”.  He attacked, lost, and his own kingdom fell as a result.

Signature 

“If there is no sufficient reason for war, the war party will make war on one pretext, then invent another… after the war is on.” - “Fighting Bob” La Follette

1 of 2