1 of 2
Poll
If you were called up for a military service would you go?
Yes 3
No 8
Maybe 2
Total Votes: 13
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Draft
Posted: 02 November 2007 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9280
Joined  2006-08-29

Last night Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson (Colin Powell’s former Chief of Staff) said that the U.S. will have to withdraw from Iraq by the end of next year because they won’t simply have enough soldiers. Another possibility would be a conscription, I believe.

Posted: 02 November 2007 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

I think conscription is unaffordable in politics terms, I think. I think the bodybags are more shocking when filled with conscript.

Posted: 02 November 2007 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Oh, I forgot to vote. I’ll say “no.” (Unless we get attacked by those evil aliens from an outer space, of course.)

Also, you might have heard this, but I found it interesting to read about Einstein’s 2% solution: if only two percent of those who are supposed to enlist for a military service refuse, the government wouldn’t have enough jails to imprison all these “rebels.”

Posted: 02 November 2007 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7503
Joined  2007-03-02

I would question their decision, because 1.  I’m a woman 2.  I’m over 40 3.  I have arthritis Need I say more?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 02 November 2007 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Mriana - 02 November 2007 12:21 PM

1.  I’m a woman

Woman is the new man. :grin:

2.  I’m over 40

40 is the new 20. :grin:

3.  I have arthritis

To “keep active” is recommended as one of the ten ways to improve your life with arthritis.  confused

How about using one’s religious beliefs? You know, “love thy enemy,” and all that stuff. Would that work?

Posted: 02 November 2007 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

4.  I’m under 5 feet tall

5.  I refuse to pick up a weapon (Give me the F4 now)

6.  I can be very defiant

7.  Don’t put it past me to go AWOL first chance I get because…

8.  I’m a consientious objector…  I took a vow to do no harm.  Reason, compassion, and peacefully living.

How’s that?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 02 November 2007 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

Didn’t you guys know that there are no atheists in foxholes?!  We’re in the clear.  LOL

Posted: 02 November 2007 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh so I don’t have to use #8?  COOL!

It would have been my last resort.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 02 November 2007 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Sure, they can call me up.  I’m 77 so that would be interesting.  I think having a draft that selected only males over the age of fifty, and without any deferment or exemption for job, position in government, or wealth would be a decent idea.  And they should all go in as privates and retain only that rank.  I think it would be great to have Bush, Cheney, all eight of the Supreme Court Justices, most of the Congress and Senate be conscripted.  LOL  Somehow, I think Bush would change his mind about Iraq and Iran before he was called up.

Occam

Posted: 02 November 2007 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4615
Joined  2007-10-05

I am in favor of instating the draft. I can’t think of anything that would motivate our younger generation to take to the streets protesting this illegal war faster. If our congress was stupid enough to start drafting people for this war we’d see it end in a heartbeat, along with the careers of an entire generation of politicians. And good riddance to them all, both Democratic and Republican.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 02 November 2007 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  4049
Joined  2006-11-28

I tend to agree that the draft would end the war right quick. It didn’t work so well for Vietnam, but times are different, and most people are pretty disaffected about the whole thing. Going to war or going to jail is a tough choice to have to make. I like to think I’d go if I believed the cause was a reasonable one and refuse if it were the kind of crock of feces Iraq is, but I guess I’ll never know since I’m in the over 40 crowd too.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 03 November 2007 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15300
Joined  2006-02-14

Of course, with the draft in place, this crowd of criminal boneheads would likely see that as a great opportunity to expand the war into Iran right quick.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 November 2007 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2007-10-12

I have been giving this topic a lot of thought lately. I served in the Army for six years on Active Duty from 1975-81. It was during the post-Vietnam all volunteer era. While this thread specifically asks about a draft now to provide fodder for Iraq, I started thinking about “the long term”. So, I’ll toss out this “discussion hand grenade”:

I think the the US SHOULD have an ongoing draft.

I believe ALL 18 year olds should be subject to “Selective Service” with no deferments.

They should serve two years in either a branch of the military or, if conscientious objectors, two years in the Peace Corps. There should be another option for those who are incapable of serving in either of those capacities to serve 3-4 years in some other governmental related service (public school teachers?).

My reasoning? If we have a true cross section of Americans in the military, including the sons and daughters of the rich and/or of the members of Congress, more serious thought would be given before committing America’s youth to be placed in harm’s way in wars of aggression, such as what we have going on in Iraq. And more serious opposition would be raised BEFORE we got ourselves into another mess by a cross section of Americans who would all be affected by this decision.

So, we should probably avoid going back to a draft now, but when and if we get out of the mess we’ve created in the Middle East, at that time we should re-institute “Selective Service”.

Signature 

“If there is no sufficient reason for war, the war party will make war on one pretext, then invent another… after the war is on.” - “Fighting Bob” La Follette

Posted: 11 November 2007 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

Great responses so far, one minute I’m laughing aloud the next in serious thought all without the benefit of pharmacological aids.

After a few minutes of serious thought to the original question - “If you were called up for a military service would you go?” - along with the mentioning of the Iraq war in the first post - I would have to answer - No.

This is vastly complicated - but my easy explanation is that it conflicts enormously with my morals. The complications would involve the on the ground situation at the time needed for further enlistments to continue with the objectives at the time. As the situation stands and the reasons to justify the catalyst for engagement I am torn often with little resolution needed to counter my moral outrage in the behavior of the initiators of the war.

I will not nor purposefully aid anyone in the killing for this conflict.

Posted: 11 November 2007 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

I am not talking about irak since I am not american. My opposition to the draft has other reasons: I am afraid of the posibility to be killed, I am not happy with the idea of killing another human being without a good reason (a good reason would be my life, freedom or my loved ones in danger) and I simply cannot accept the basis of a military life (I don’t want to be forced to obbey orders)

About Iraq, I tend to disagree with the concept of ‘when worst the better’ (I don’t tend to think this is a bright idea in any aspect, not only iraq). Do you really think that the ones who had lied miserably about mass destructions weapons and connections about the 9/11 would be more carefull because they are sending the middle class youngs to the war?. I tend to think that they would be tempted to use the increase in the resources they would have.

Posted: 11 November 2007 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2007-10-12

Do you really think that the ones who had lied miserably about mass destructions weapons and connections about the 9/11 would be more carefull because they are sending the middle class youngs to the war?

To answer your question, no.  It is too late to institute a draft as that would serve only to provide more fodder for Mr. Bush’s war.

And if a draft meant only middle and lower “class” families would bear the burden while upper class families protected their children as has been done in the past, then again my answer is no.

That is why I recommend a draft with no deferments.  No hiding in college.  No hiding behind daddy’s $millions.  Serve your country in the military or serve the world in the Peace Corps.  THEN, perhaps, the US would stop trying to be the global bully that the current administration has forced us to become.

Signature 

“If there is no sufficient reason for war, the war party will make war on one pretext, then invent another… after the war is on.” - “Fighting Bob” La Follette

1 of 2