2 of 2
Poll
If you were called up for a military service would you go?
Yes 3
No 8
Maybe 2
Total Votes: 13
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Draft
Posted: 12 November 2007 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

PaineMan, I certainly acknowledge the fact that my country is far more corrupt than the US, but thinking what happened during the falkland war in 1982, I think the richs will allways have more resources to avoid the draft: traveling abroad, bribes, lawsuits. About the ban of deferments, I think that it could conspire against the production of college professionals, and a growing economy will allways need them.

About Iraq, I think it is a tough issue: it should never have happened, but I am not ready to swear that the situation would improve if the US forces left irak now.

Posted: 12 November 2007 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2007-10-12

I think the richs will allways have more resources to avoid the draft: traveling abroad, bribes, lawsuits.

Sadly, you may well be right. However, that does not mean we should give in to the plutocracy. If they did still manage to avoid the Draft, the record of it should be readily available to all who are interested (should they choose to run for public office, for example; that’s not much, but it’s better than nothing smirk ). It may never come to pass, but we should still try.

About the ban of deferments, I think that it could conspire against the production of college professionals, and a growing economy will allways need them.

I recommend merely a two year commitment, after which they are free to pursue their academic interests. “Rubbing elbows” with a cross section of Americans may broaden their view of the world and make their subsequent time in college more valuable. In addition, I could see deferments for people who went to college to become teachers and served out their commitment after graduation in our public schools.

About Iraq, I think it is a tough issue: it should never have happened, but I am not ready to swear that the situation would improve if the US forces left irak now.

I couldn’t agree with you more. The problem is that we went into a country, destroyed their government and created a power vacuum. We have a responsibility to clean up the mess we created. But if we are to stay there until a “GW Bush victory” is achieved, we will be there for another 100 years (or longer). Rather, we should convene meetings through the U.N. with the Iraqi’s and ALL their neighbors in the region (whether we like them or not) to determine a path to peace. Then, we pull out not only our military, but completely remove our presence from the region. This is a process that cannot take place with the current regime in the US.

And while I’m on my soapbox, we will be able to completely pull out of the Middle East once we are no longer dependent on foreign oil. See: Apollo Project

Yes, I am a dreamer. grin

Signature 

“If there is no sufficient reason for war, the war party will make war on one pretext, then invent another… after the war is on.” - “Fighting Bob” La Follette

Posted: 12 November 2007 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2007-06-19

Well, I have the same dream: all the people should be under the same laws, no matter their wealth. grin

Certainly the energy is a very important factor, and because all of us, not only in the US, are dependant on oil we are facing this troubles. I don’t see an alternative right now, but we could certainly use the energy in a smarter way.

Posted: 13 November 2007 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

In light of the thread’s conversation, I also support mandatory military conscription for all US citizens.  There should also be an alternative civil service option for conscientious objectors, as is the case in many western european countries.  The main logic being that the military is a public institution and ought to be regarded as a civil service Like paying taxes.  It should not be a private “corporate” endeavor that is structured upon a profit motive, or establishes a “military-industrial complex.”

I am hesitant to suggest these thoughts in 2007 because I do not want to do anything to support Bush’s blood money war.  My hope would be that such a draft would be instated during a time of peace, without the intended purpose of feeding soldiers into battle.  As such, it could help establish in our culture an attitude of utilizing military only in times of absolute need as a means of protection.  It could also shift the social class structure in a positive direction.

I am also a dreamer, in the sense that I dream of a day when the world has no use for military.  I also think that it is a realistic goal to work toward.  World government is a positive realistic possibility and I believe it is a necessity.  The real issue is what form it should take.  We were headed in a better direction before Bush undermined the United Nations.  In times like these, we desperately need to get back on track toward a more positive globalization.

Posted: 13 November 2007 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2007-10-12

I am hesitant to suggest these thoughts in 2007 because I do not want to do anything to support Bush’s blood money war.  My hope would be that such a draft would be instated during a time of peace, without the intended purpose of feeding soldiers into battle.

Exactly!

Signature 

“If there is no sufficient reason for war, the war party will make war on one pretext, then invent another… after the war is on.” - “Fighting Bob” La Follette

Posted: 14 November 2007 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4375
Joined  2007-08-31
Barto - 12 November 2007 12:56 PM

Well, I have the same dream: all the people should be under the same laws, no matter their wealth. grin

The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor,
to sleep under the bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
          —Anatole France

Found in the Linux fortune cookie database.

GdB

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

2 of 2