Giuliani, Robertson, pro-choice, pro-gay rights and rapture!
Posted: 07 November 2007 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-03-11

What’s this team up all about? What’s the modus operandi behind such a paradoxical mix match? Rudy a moderate, Pat an extremist…..so will they “even each other out” and curry favor with a large portion of the voting population? Seems odd to me…...I never seen this one coming…..

Posted: 07 November 2007 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

Surprised the hell out of me too, when I heard it on NPR this afternoon. Maybe Giuliani did a typical politician snow job on Robertson. Hey, Robertson believes an invisible man created the universe 6,000 years ago, so we know he’s capable of believing just about anything.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 07 November 2007 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2007-10-08

I would say the link between the two is Israel. Robertson is an over the top Christian Zionist who is anxiously awaiting an Arab-led invasion of Israel so he can get raptured before he kicks the bucket. Giuliani is a defender of Israel, but more importantly, he’s even more vocal about invading Iran than Bush and Cheney, and is more hawkish than the other Republican candidates. Since Pat Robertson believes the rapture and Armageddon are coming soon, he’s more concerned about what’s going on in the MiddleEast than he is about social issues at home like abortion and gay marriage. He wants the candidate who’s most likely to bring us WWIII and will excuse a few liberal social policy positions to meet that objective.

Posted: 07 November 2007 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

Yeah, I was expecting Robertson to back Ron Paul. Maybe God’s given him a talkiing to about realpolitik?

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 08 November 2007 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I think workinprogress nailed it. Robertson, in his crazed world view, wants someone to start WW III, and sees Giuliani as the most likely candidate. Should have thought of that myself.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 08 November 2007 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  135
Joined  2007-10-12

What’s this team up all about?

I couldn’t find anything about a “team up”.  Is there some news article I should be able to find?

The only thing I came up with was an article that said Robertson was “backing” Giuliani.  It may be nothing more than the fact that the Religious Right is having a hard time finding a candidate to back, and Robertson figured it’s better to get on board with the guy in the lead than waste time with an also ran or a third party.

Signature 

“If there is no sufficient reason for war, the war party will make war on one pretext, then invent another… after the war is on.” - “Fighting Bob” La Follette

Posted: 08 November 2007 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

The New York Times has an article here.

I love this:

In explaining his endorsement, Mr. Robertson said he was confident that Mr. Giuliani would defend the country against “the blood lust of Islamic terrorists.”

Mr. Robertson argued that judicial appointments were the crucial battleground for Christian conservatives and said Mr. Giuliani had pledged to appoint conservative jurists.

People close to Mr. Robertson said he also worried that an evangelical revolt against the Republican Party over its nominee could deliver the White House to a Democrat or even split the Christian conservative leadership from its base.

Yep. Robertson is backing Giuliani out of political expediency, nothing more. If I were a NYT editor the headline would have read “Conservative nutjob endorses twice divorced adulterer.”

Signature 

Posted: 08 November 2007 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

<>

[ Edited: 22 January 2008 08:42 PM by zarcus ]

Posted: 09 November 2007 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

<>