3 of 8
Marketing CFI—its name and mission
Posted: 13 November 2007 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
DJ Grothe - 13 November 2007 08:38 AM
dougsmith - 13 November 2007 07:53 AM

Actually, “Campus Freethought Alliance” was only the name for what is now called “CFI On Campus”; even during the CFA days the umbrella organization was still CFI.

No, to clarify: when it was called “Campus Freethought Alliance,” the sponsoring organization was the Council for Secular Humanism. The campus outreach didn’t focus on science and skepticism then, just freethought, atheism and humanism. Many professors were reluctant to give support because we were thought to just be atheistic.

Possibly times have changed and its not as big an issue now.

Yes, I found an atheist prof and today he said he did not want to prosolytize atheism.  I tried to explain that wasn’t what a Campus Freethought Alliance was about.  I tried to explain it would be like minds getting together, maybe do some community service, promoting science and education, have a few speakers, and alike.  I also explained to him that I wanted Freethought because I was concerned that it could be intimidating to those who thought about inquirying what we are about.  He isn’t interested, much less did he know what Center of Inquiry was, Council for Secular Humanism, AHA, or anything like that.  :(  It is like herding cats.  He did concede in his statement about prosolytizing and said, “Freethought isn’t just atheism.”  Still he wasn’t interested.  Still need to find four more students and a prof to get this thing off the ground.  :(

[ Edited: 13 November 2007 04:37 PM by Mriana ]
 Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 13 November 2007 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 13 November 2007 11:59 AM

Fine. But I still see a sperm entering an egg:

This is actually pretty funny, and I wonder if it wasn’t an influence on the design, either conscious or not. I actually don’t mind it as such ... why not?

My only concern with the logo is that I don’t like the red white & blue color combination. At last weekend’s CFI-NYC conference they had an iteration of the logo where the red was substituted with silvery grey. Looked MUCH better, IMO.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 13 November 2007 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 13 November 2007 05:07 PM

the red was substituted with silvery grey.

Sounds good to me.

Posted: 13 November 2007 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21

Is the logo available to download in high res? I could do some makeover mock ups.

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 14 November 2007 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
morgantj - 13 November 2007 08:44 PM

Is the logo available to download in high res? I could do some makeover mock ups.

No idea ...

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 14 November 2007 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
morgantj - 13 November 2007 08:44 PM

It’ll only take you a few minutes to trace the flame. The font looks like Frutiger (?), or something similar.

Posted: 15 November 2007 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2007-08-21

Playing around with the logo:

cfi1.jpg

Signature 

Posted: 15 November 2007 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

Nice picture. May be a regional thing, but it’s “Inquiry.” Flame still looks a little sperm-like to me (thanks a lot George!). wink

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 15 November 2007 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2007-08-21
mckenzievmd - 15 November 2007 09:24 PM

Nice picture. May be a regional thing, but it’s “Inquiry.” Flame still looks a little sperm-like to me (thanks a lot George!). wink

That was just a quicky and much like the original. I’ll create a few designs that are more unique.

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2007 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

I particularly like the shadowing on the three dimensional shadowing on the surface of the sphere.  It highlights the “planetary” message and emphasizes the “sense of awe and wonder” that is as fundamental to inquiry as it is to mysticism.  I like the whole light play in general.  Everything is emerging out of darkness.  Nice.

Posted: 16 November 2007 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

I like it too—it plays down the red, white and blue color scheme. But I wonder if there isn’t a better color for the “flame”. In the conference they had a logo with a sort of silvery grey flame that looked very good with the blue and white.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 16 November 2007 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Nice but impractical, morgantj. It would be very difficult to reproduce (e.g. fax). And it would cost more money to print: you went from a two-colour logo to a CMYK (four colours) version.

[ Edited: 16 November 2007 07:08 AM by George ]

Posted: 16 November 2007 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2007-08-21

I agree, the flame needs some work. I’ll work on and post some different designs of it.

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2007 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2007-08-21
George - 16 November 2007 06:48 AM

Nice but unpractical, morgantj. It would be very difficult to reproduce (e.g. fax). And it would cost more money to print: you went from a two-colour logo to a CMYK (four colours) version.

I’m just getting started George. smile

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2007 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

I like the full color 3d effect.  It looks dynamic, and with a few tweaks would look very professional.  I don’t think internet applications should be limited by printing standards.  It sounds like a logo system with web and print versions is necessary. 

The tricky part is that the website would need lots of updating to work with the black background.  I hope that isn’t an obstacle.  I would be interested in seeing the silvery flame that Doug mentioned and also some printable versions that work with a white background.  Thanks for your time Morgan.  I wish I had time to play.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

3 of 8