Google Authors
Posted: 12 November 2007 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2007-09-14

I don’t know if:

1) You’uns already know this
2) This is the most appropriate forum to which this should be posted

Anyway, seems Google has been inviting folks like Pinker, Randi, etc. to give nifty talks about their favorite topics.  The series seems to be Google Authors.

Here’s the link to Pinker’s talk, which is delivered almost without a breath, and as such is chalk-full of nifty food for cognition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBpetDxIEMU

Sorry if this is old news!!!

Posted: 13 November 2007 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

This seems like a good place to me.  No I hadn’t heard of the Google Author series.  Thanks for the link.  It looks very interesting from the minute or so I just previewed.  I’ll watch the whole thing when I get the chance.

Posted: 13 November 2007 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

I hadn’t heard of this either. It’s really quite excellent and it is incredible to me what is offered for free on the internet. Here we have a professionally presented lecture by Stephen Pinker that I can watch from home for free, whereas not to long ago to get a chance for the privilege like this you, if lucky, would have to truck out to some campus and sit with hundreds of other people with the sound system never adequate. Thanks for the link, tscott.

This makes me think of CFI and getting the word out. I notice certain other organizations with similar missions are offering YouTube like experiences. I wonder, now with what I see as a successful venture with the PoI podcast that offering some of the lecture/interview type material wouldn’t be a good idea.

I remember seeing in Free Inquiry offers for tapes of interviews with people like B.F. Skinner. Old, but probably incredibly fascinating. I’ve read the FI interview with Skinner by Paul Kurtz, though short, it is interesting, its in one of my old FI’s. I notice to the short blurb video where Paul is at his desk speaking, this is great. Lets get a good interview/Lecture with Paul Kurtz on Skepticism and Humanism and YouTube and link it here somewhere. Plus, DJ is a handsome guy, lets get his face out there. :^]

Posted: 13 November 2007 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15356
Joined  2006-02-14

Thanks for the link, tscott. FYI there are CFI videos available HERE, although at present only a few.

THIS is also a really good resource for “freethought multimedia”.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 13 November 2007 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-05-09

Doug, thanks, I had no idea that those were being offered. Outstanding! The way they have it set up is very user friendly, easy on the eyes and looks professional. Thanks!

add - I meant the CFI video, I knew of Reitstoen’s offerings, though I didn’t know he was under the heading of Freethought media now. He was independent and I remember chatting with him on Infidelguy’s site, he really has done an outstanding job. By the way, if you get a chance to check out his art, I highly recommend it - HERE

add another - I see he does link to his 3D art off of the Freethought page.. This is good.

[ Edited: 13 November 2007 07:48 AM by zarcus ]

Posted: 13 November 2007 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15356
Joined  2006-02-14
zarcus - 13 November 2007 07:31 AM

By the way, if you get a chance to check out his art, I highly recommend it - HERE

Oh, very cool!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 13 November 2007 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

tscott,

Thanks again.  I very much enjoyed the Pinker lecture.  Particularly the part on swearing.  It’s both interesting and hilarious.

Via the same location, I also watched a Hitchens video HERE.  He gives a nice plug for Free Inquiry magazine and Skeptical Inquirer about 45:50 into it.

Posted: 13 November 2007 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-05-09
erasmusinfinity - 13 November 2007 03:56 PM

tscott,

Thanks again.  I very much enjoyed the Pinker lecture.  Particularly the part on swearing.  It’s both interesting and hilarious.

Absolutely, I was laughing my ass off.

On speaking about Abusive swearing:

Pinker -

And my favorite - A curse last used in 1585 - But I suggest that it be revived - So the next time someone cuts you off in traffic - Instead of using one of those hackneyed cliques - I suggest you advise the person to - Kiss the cunt of a cow!

Posted: 13 November 2007 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2007-09-14

I’m glad I was able to find something fun to share!  Watching these great videos helps keep me from discursive babblings in the forums!

smile