Singularity movie
Posted: 13 November 2007 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2006-01-21

(For those of you up on and interested in Kurzweil).

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/news/2007/11/kurzweil_qa

Signature 

"Few have the courage of their convictions. Fewer still have the courage for an attack on their convictions." - Nietzsche

Posted: 14 November 2007 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

Interesting. I can’t take this “singularity” stuff seriously, however. It all sounds more than faintly millenarian.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 14 November 2007 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2007-09-14

Makes me want to re-read “Why Smart People Do Dumb Things”.

Combined with Josephson’s bizarre faith in ESP, Wolfram’s “Computational Universe”, the racism of Crick, the super-vitamin notions of Pauli and the continued religious beliefs of many scientists, etc. it just highlights the dangers of the “appeal to authority” logical fallacy. In each case, a person of science has decided to draw conclusions about causal and operative phenomena in the external world from something other than (and often contrary to) evidence.

I suspect that some scientists even get overawed by their own authority. They may believe that since they’re quite obviously, (and publicly recognized as) very smart, they become more easily persuaded that any non-mainstream notion they may have is automatically a thing of transcendent genius.

A metaphor I can think of is of a person with an incredibly bright flashlight in a very dark room. If the flashlight is suddenly replaced with a candle, the person will be far less able to navigate than a person who’s had a pen-light all along. That’s not to say that a genius suddenly becomes dumb; but that clear acuity and deep insight in one area doesn’t automatically mean everything one sees will be similarly illuminated.

Perhaps the most intellectually astute among us need to be even more on guard against the blindness of false pride and conceit than those with less acumen. Indeed, because a smart person has more inherently sophisticated and potentially persuasive “tools” at his disposal (e.g. mathematics, vocabulary, metaphor), he is far more and better able to “baffle with bullshit” than others.  Combine this acumen with the heady pride that comes from social approbation, and the temptation to “hold forth” on all manner of great mysteries, becomes significant. Too often the attempt to overawe the world devolves into a tawdry exercise in self-bafflement.

[ Edited: 14 November 2007 09:40 AM by tscott ]

Posted: 14 November 2007 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

Despite Kurzweil’s sophisticated ability to “baffle with bullshit” I do enjoy pondering over the ideas he presents.  Our ability to predict is an impressive thing, and I enjoy testing my skepticism on his ideas, because I have to overcome my bias of wanting them to be true.  Even if he is completely off the mark, I don’t see much harm in pursuing any of his bold predictions.  It would be at a risk of discovering other unpredictable scientific advancements.  He does play a positive role inspiring and getting people interested in science & technology.  That is admirable enough.

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 02 April 2009 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
DJ Grothe - 13 November 2007 09:50 PM

(For those of you up on and interested in Kurzweil).

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/hollywood/news/2007/11/kurzweil_qa

[ Discussion of ‘singularity’ in 4/2/2009 NY Tmes blog]

There was a whole IEEE spectrum issue devoted to it a while back as well.