CFI Student Publication
Posted: 17 November 2007 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-06-15

It was mentioned a couple of times over the weekend of the conference that one way we might find to unify the student movement is to create some sort of student publication (for us, by us and all that). 

Personally, I love the idea.  I think it’s fantastic.  My quixotic side is ready to get to work . . . but then, of course, there’s the practical aspect, beginning with the fact that I know nothing about how to put a magazine together.  Is this something that we could do?  A monthly or even bi-monthly publication created by students around the globe?  What are all the logistics involved?  And, more importantly, who’s willing to take an active role in making it happen.

I’m throwing my hat in (woefully uneqipped, though it may be).  Who’s with me?

Signature 

http://www.doubtcast.org
http://bathtubjeff.blogspot.com

“I asked God if it was a sin and He didn’t say anything.” ~Ernestine Rose

Posted: 17 November 2007 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Great idea, fletcher ... another thing you should consider is whether you want to put something together with paper and ink, or instead do something web-based.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 03 January 2008 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2002-09-09

Hi fletcher710,

We’ve actually been talking about launching a CFI-published student-edited campus-themed magazine for free distribution on campuses throughout North America (and at some universities around the world).  As you can imagine, it takes a lot of work to make a good print publication, so thanks for throwing your hat in!  smile  I’ll get in touch with you about joining the CFI Campus Publications Committee.

Debbie

Posted: 05 January 2008 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-04-03

Yes, I’m glad to see there was considerable enthusiasm at the conference for this idea.  Debbie has now created a thread under “Campus Committees” for this discussion, in which I think all interested student leaders should be given access to participate.

Justin

Posted: 07 January 2008 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2002-09-09

Sure!

Any CFI campus member who is interested in getting involved with the proposed CFI campus print publication, or with CFI’s other campus-themed newsletters and publications (Campus Inquirer, the campus section of the Secular Humanist Bulletin, even Skeptical Briefs or perhaps Free Inquiry or Skeptical Inquirer!), please pop me an e-mail to become a member of the student Publications Committee.

To see a description of CFI campus committees and internship opportunities, go to the September 2007 Campus Inquirer.  Let me know (dgoddard at centerforinquiry dot net) if you’re interested in getting involved!

Debbie Goddard
Field Organizer
Center for Inquiry