Poll
Should Nick Minucci of Howard Beach go to jail?
Yes, he should be in prison 1
No, he’s a hero 2
Other 1
Total Votes: 4
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Does Nick Minucci deserve to go to jail?
Posted: 02 July 2005 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2005-06-23

Do you think Nick Minucci, the guy who beat up the would-be car thief with a bat in Howard Beach, should go to jail? Or is he a hero who was protecting his neighborhood? Or something in between? Thoughts, comments?

I think he shouldn’t go to jail for this. He beat up a thief who was hanging around his neighborhood at 3 a.m. I wish someone in my neighborhood went around beating up criminals, ‘cause I know the damn cops aren’t doing it.

Signature 

Life IS pain, princess.
                  - William Goldman

Posted: 07 July 2005 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  964
Joined  2005-01-14

I haven’t heard about this, either.  From Ragnar’s description, I have my doubts.  There is such a thing as proportional response, after all.  Then again, if violence is the only way to discourage theft….  I’m just not sure.

Posted: 08 July 2005 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

I don’t think he should go to jail for this if how you tell the story is correct.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 11 July 2005 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  964
Joined  2005-01-14

It’s this “would-be” car thief label that I worry about.  I remember a story a few years ago about an exchange student who went trick-or-treating.  He apparently wasn’t familiar with the way we do it in America, and no one bothered to tell him that we only go up to houses which leave their porch lights on.  So he went up to a house and started banging on the door.  The man inside told him to go away, but he apparently thought it was part of the “game” and kept on knocking.  The man came out and shot him dead, thinking he was a “would-be” burglar!

Posted: 11 July 2005 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2005-06-23

Apologies

I should have realized this story wouldn’t get much media attention outside of NY. Anyway, for those who aren’t familiar with the area, Howard Beach is a predominantly white area. Minucci actually appeared briefly on an episode of that ridiculous show about the John Gotti kids. The guy he beat up was black. So a black kid in the neighborhood at 3 a.m. is either looking to rob someone, incredibly stupid, or both. The two friends of the victim that were with him at the time admitted they were offered $6000 to steal one of those new Chryslers (the Chrysler 3000 I think it’s called). Minucci was also with two friends. They reportedly asked the other three what they were doing in the neighborhood, and the victim was said to have started mouthing off. Minucci probably would have beat the guy regardless of his reasons for being in the neighborhood, but again, the chance that the guy was in the area for some legitimate reason was pretty slim.

Signature 

Life IS pain, princess.
                  - William Goldman

‹‹ Abortion      Jesus is Lord! Glory! ››