2 of 6
Do you celebrate Christmas, or some semblance thereof?
Posted: 22 November 2007 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

Every Nov/Dec near where we live we have a Dicken’s Fair, sort of a Rennaissance Faire with a Victorian England at Christmas theme. They do up this huge auditorium as a Victorian winter street scene, have people impersonating characters from Dickens wandering around, and lots of music. My favorite Christmas music are some of the traditional carols (esp God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen) as sung by small, slightly drunken amateur choirs in Victorian clothinng at this fair. Talk about holiday atmosphere! In general I’m not a fan of big, nooming, organ-heavy Christmas music, flights of angels singing and all that. Oh, and Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer is another favorite. grin

[ Edited: 22 November 2007 09:50 AM by mckenzievmd ]
 Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 22 November 2007 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Mriana - 22 November 2007 09:27 AM

My favourite X-mas song is “Ave Maria”

Just for the record, Ellens dritter Gesang (a.k.a. Schubert’s Ave Maria) is not a Christmas melody.

Posted: 22 November 2007 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  7570
Joined  2007-03-02

Well, “Santa Baby” by Eartha Kitt, another one of my favourites, isn’t heavy with organ music.  LOL  I don’t think the others I listed are either, if you listen to the specific singers’ versions.  The organ isn’t pronounced at least.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 22 November 2007 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
George - 22 November 2007 09:50 AM
Mriana - 22 November 2007 09:27 AM

My favourite X-mas song is “Ave Maria”

Just for the record, Ellens dritter Gesang (a.k.a. Schubert’s Ave Maria) is not a Christmas melody.

I realize that, but Barbra has it on her X-mas albums and it is quite frequently sung around X-mas, as well as weddings and alike.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 22 November 2007 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

I figured not, Mriana. I was mostly responsding to George, who as cultured and European as he is probably likes much grander music than a provincial pleb such as myself. wink

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog

Posted: 22 November 2007 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh ok.  LOL  I think, and I need to listen again this year, Barbra and Donna’s voices are more pronounced than the instruments in their versions.  Plus, Barbra’s diction is impeccable- as always.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 22 November 2007 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I didn’t know any of the popular Christmas music before coming to Canada. Now, I couldn’t imagine my Christmas without Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Posted: 22 November 2007 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

We tend to listen to a cappella Renaissance music, like from the Tallis Scholars. Good opportunity for food, family and a nice party, although I must admit to not being terribly invested in the process at this point in my life. As a child, of course, I loved the presents.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 22 November 2007 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

Oh, I love the Tallis Scholars. I also like Anonymous Four, another a capella group with some great old music.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog

Posted: 22 November 2007 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Yes, Anonymous Four too ... there are a number of fantastic a capella groups singing medieval and renaissance music.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 22 November 2007 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

My older son loves “The Nutcracker Suite”.  They only perform it here around X-mas time, so that is the only time he gets to see it, but I got him the CD, with Swan Lake which he also loves, and he listens whenever he feels like now.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 22 November 2007 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

My wife was kind enough to volunteer to take our daughter to Nutcracker with her Brownie Troupe this year, even though I generally do those sorts of activites with her. I have to admit to loathing ballet, so I skip this particular holiday tradition. There I go showing my plebian colors again. grin

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog

Posted: 22 November 2007 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Well… You can blame me for my son liking ballet.  I took dance lessons- tap, jazz, modern, and yes even ballet in my younger years.  I never really gave it up and while I was pregnant with them, I listened to all types of music and even after they were born, it was a variety of music.  Appreciation for the arts has always been my thing.  My older son can single out a variety of instruments in an orchrastrated recording.  So, they learned an appreciation for it too.  :-D

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 22 November 2007 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
mckenzievmd - 22 November 2007 10:23 AM

My wife was kind enough to volunteer to take our daughter to Nutcracker with her Brownie Troupe this year, even though I generally do those sorts of activites with her. I have to admit to loathing ballet, so I skip this particular holiday tradition. There I go showing my plebian colors again. grin

Even though blue blood runs through my veins, I have no patience for ballet. You’ll have to blame it on something else, Brennen.  wink

Posted: 22 November 2007 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  178
Joined  2007-06-01

I really enjoy Christmas music, I have several thousand in my collection.  The kitschy stuff in particular.

I agree that the gift giving thing is out of hand.  I would just as soon hand out copies of “What would Jesus buy?” in place of gifts.

Signature 

“Life is a Blur of Republicans and Meat” - Zippy

2 of 6