4 of 6
Do you celebrate Christmas, or some semblance thereof?
Posted: 23 November 2007 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7613
Joined  2007-03-02
George - 23 November 2007 12:18 PM

Ask the Christians! They eat him every Sunday.

Oh yes, they do practice theophagy, just as the mythical cults before them did.  Amazing how paganism continues and people be in full denial of it.  OK back to chocolate worship.  :D

Yes, Doug, I do believe you are right about the theobroma and the confusion concerning chocolate.

Dark chocolate is good.  “I’ve never met a chocolate I didn’t like.”  :D

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 23 November 2007 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 23 November 2007 12:31 PM

“theobroma” means “food of the gods”.

Thanks, Doug.

Posted: 24 November 2007 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

Mozart Kugeln rock!!!!

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 25 November 2007 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-11-25

I love Christmas! The music, the ornaments, everything. We get a huge tree every year, decorate the house, etc. But it’s completely non-religious for us, no church, no praying, no stories. It’s an extended-family get together with presents and food, no more and no less.

However, we are slowly trying to move away from the gift-giving part of it, while keeping the rest. When I read about poor single mothers taking out loans to buy their kids presents “because they NEED them” I really get turned off on that whole part of it.

Posted: 25 November 2007 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21
traveller888 - 25 November 2007 01:16 PM

However, we are slowly trying to move away from the gift-giving part of it, while keeping the rest. When I read about poor single mothers taking out loans to buy their kids presents “because they NEED them” I really get turned off on that whole part of it.

I enjoy both giving and receiving gifts throughout the year, and I think that there is a way in which gift exchange can promote the thoughtful consideration of others in a way that is contrary to modern consumerism.  However, I absolutely agree with you traveller888 that consumerism has reached a level of sickness in contemporary America around christmas time.  It is also very hard to resist this trend, as most of the people around us buy us lots of things and expect to receive things from us in return.  It is very hard to tell people that we don’t want such things from them and that we don’t want to buy them something either.  I think this illustrates how interdependent we all are.

To be fair, I think that a lot of christian Americans feel this way too.

Posted: 25 November 2007 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-11-25
erasmusinfinity - 25 November 2007 06:40 PM

I enjoy both giving and receiving gifts throughout the year, and I think that there is a way in which gift exchange can promote the thoughtful consideration of others in a way that is contrary to modern consumerism.  However, I absolutely agree with you traveller888 that consumerism has reached a level of sickness in contemporary America around christmas time.  It is also very hard to resist this trend, as most of the people around us buy us lots of things and expect to receive things from us in return.  It is very hard to tell people that we don’t want such things from them and that we don’t want to buy them something either.  I think this illustrates how interdependent we all are.

To be fair, I think that a lot of christian Americans feel this way too.

Very true, it’s hard to balance gift-giving as generosity and thinking of others before yourself versus consumerism/materialism. I believe many people, religious and not, feel this way but can’t pull themselves out of the cycle at the risk of offending others, social pressures, etc.

Posted: 25 November 2007 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I always feel good when I give someone a gift, esp if it’s from my heart.  So gift giving doesn’t bother me as long as I’m giving.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 26 November 2007 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Joined  2007-09-21

Mriana, maybe you could put me on your gift giving list.  LOL

Posted: 26 November 2007 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

LOL  Yes, well…  I’m only doing family this year.  :(  With prices going up, I’m not as rich as I was in previous years.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 26 November 2007 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-11-26

I like George’s post about saying “Jesus was a nice guy”. My wife and I are having kids this year and I think that might by my approach.

I always do a tree, call it Christmas, put up lights and stuff but none of the “God loves you and thanks you for buying my album” carols. When we have kids, I want them to be “normal” but I want to make sure they know that the bible is a fairy-tale and Christmas is more of a get-together opportunity than a religious holiday.

And thanks for this post! I’ve always felt strange celebrating Christmas as an athiest. Its good to know i’m not the only one doing it.

Posted: 21 December 2007 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

088.png

Posted: 21 December 2007 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

George, that wasn’t funny.  :(

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 22 December 2007 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Joined  2007-09-21

HAVE A WONDERFUL WINTER SOLSTICE EVERYONE! (The real reason for all those other holidays)
May there be peace, love and cooperation for all humankind, free of dogma and tribalism.

800px-Earth-lighting-winter-solstice_EN.png

Posted: 22 December 2007 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2007-02-21

On this week’s POI Tom Flynn offers his take on celebrating Christmas. http://www.pointofinquiry.org

Also, I think next week, D.J. Grothe is on Skepticality offering an opposite point of view as a secularist. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Posted: 22 December 2007 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Joined  2007-09-21

Thanks, Thomas, for mentioning DJ’s Skepticality appearance.  I’ll be sure to listen for it.

Also, I enjoyed hearing Tom Flynn’s take.  Bah humbug Tom.  shut eye

LOL  I’m gonna have a great winter party this year.  But, to each his own.

4 of 6