Hello from Vancouver, Canada
Posted: 25 November 2007 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-11-25

Hi everyone,

I’ve been an atheist my whole life, grew up in a non-religious family. I was a “tourist” at a Christian fundementalist group for a while in university, as both a cathartic and social outlet (think Edward Norton in “Fight Club” going to the recovery meetings).

I recently read Richard Dawkins’ “God Delusion” and it’s really motivated me to be more expressive in public about my beliefs. Like many people I’ve become increasingly angry at the spread of anti-intellectual pro-religious influence on governments around the world.

So if anyone in Vancouver knows of any secularism and/or CFI-related meet ups or volunteer opportunities please let me know!

Posted: 25 November 2007 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome traveller.  Jump in and join the conversations.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 25 November 2007 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Cheers and welcome, traveller888! I know there is a CFI center in Toronto, you might want to try contacting Justin Trottier there and see what he says. At any rate please feel free two add your thoughts here on the forum. Glad to have you.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 01 December 2007 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2007-09-28

hello and welcome.

good to hear that you want to become more vocal in your non-belief.  I think it is one of the fundamental difficulties we (atheists) have is that these things are simply not something we think about on a personal level. It is only when religious idiots try and force their views on us that we react. more voices will let people know we exists and are (generally) decent people!

as an aside, Vancouver is a very nice city, one of few that I actually like being in! If you had an automotive industry, I’d be over there now!  The only bad thing I can think of regarding Vancouver, is that it is on the other side of the planet from me, most inconsiderate!

Ski.

Signature 

hmmmmm  π

‹‹ Howdy      JohnMR Saying Hello... ››