The Quackcast: A podcast devoted to skepticism of alt-meds
Posted: 26 November 2007 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2006-11-29

Everyone on here should check out The Quackcast.  It’s a podcast by Dr. Mark Crislip devoted to scientific investigation of alt-meds.  It’s quite good.  You can also get it through the itunes music store.

Signature 

Skeptics’ Guide Podcast

Posted: 26 November 2007 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

Good for Dr. Crislip. I can’t go farther without also recommending the venerable Quackwatch website as well. Perhaps the best single source clearinghouse of information about quackery and psedudoscience in medicine.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 November 2007 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

There is one thing I’d love to see a report on and it even made my 18 y.o. son’s chin drop because he couldn’t believe it either.  Don’t know if you all have seen it, but it’s this stop smoking thing you put on your ear.  rolleyes  Yeah right!  Like that will help.  I forget the name of the quack product, but the magnet podcast on Quackcast might cover it, because I think what one puts on their ear is a magnet.

BTW, my son thought they lied about this product being FDA approved, so he went to the FDA website- the product is not there, just as he thought.

Wonder if Quackcast will do anything on topics like that.  Oh and the other one that concerns me about those with eating disorders- the high metabolism pills to lose weight.  That could do some serious harm to some people.  :(

I have yet to find anyone that informs people about such products.  While one is more than likely harmless, the other is not.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 26 November 2007 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2006-11-29
Mriana - 26 November 2007 07:31 PM

There is one thing I’d love to see a report on and it even made my 18 y.o. son’s chin drop because he couldn’t believe it either.  Don’t know if you all have seen it, but it’s this stop smoking thing you put on your ear.  rolleyes  Yeah right!  Like that will help.  I forget the name of the quack product, but the magnet podcast on Quackcast might cover it, because I think what one puts on their ear is a magnet.

BTW, my son thought they lied about this product being FDA approved, so he went to the FDA website- the product is not there, just as he thought.

Wonder if Quackcast will do anything on topics like that.  Oh and the other one that concerns me about those with eating disorders- the high metabolism pills to lose weight.  That could do some serious harm to some people.  :(

I have yet to find anyone that informs people about such products.  While one is more than likely harmless, the other is not.

Email Dr. Crislip and he may cover these in a later show.

Signature 

Skeptics’ Guide Podcast

Posted: 26 November 2007 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

I guess it couldn’t hurt.  It’s not like they are OT or what have you.  If anything, such topics could be helpful if not lifesaving for some people.  In the case of the second product I mentioned, it could help parents be on the look out for such things if they know or suspect their child has an eating disorder- if they haven’t thought about and questioned it already.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 27 November 2007 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

Thanks for the heads up on the Quackcast, Havermayer.