“THE CROSS AND THE LYNCHING TREE”
Posted: 03 December 2007 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2007-08-05

November 23, 2007

BILL MOYERS: Welcome to the JOURNAL. Our subject in this hour is one you don’t hear discussed very often in politics or around the dining table. It’s buried so deeply in the American psyche that rarely does anyone bring it front and center. Our silence on it is one reason we have so much difficulty coming to terms with race in America. I’m reluctant to raise it even now, because it’s anything but a comfortable subject for television. But I went online not long ago and listened to a speech at Harvard University that I simply can’t forget and I wanted you to meet the man who delivered it.
JAMES CONE: …blacks and whites and other Americans who want to understand the meaning of the American experience need to remember lynching.

BILL MOYERS: His name is James Cone and he has a powerful message about seeing America through the experience of the cross and the lynching tree.

JAMES CONE: ..to make sense out of the cross, the central symbol of the Christian faith, and the lynching tree…

<snip>

I’ve edited out the majority of this because I believe it is copyrighted text. For the full text please go to the linked URL below.

Please avoid copying wholesale from copyrighted sources.

dougsmith—Admin

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/11232007/watch.html

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa

[ Edited: 03 December 2007 04:34 PM by dougsmith ]
 Signature 

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength jufa

You are never alone!