3 of 3
Ron Paul and Alternative Medicine
Posted: 01 January 2008 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4097
Joined  2006-11-28

I found his brief comment on it. He’s a politician, after all, so he’s pretty good at avoiding saying anything directly, but he certainly seems comfortable saying publically that he’s not convinced evolution is true, and if you accept that most politicans’ views are a lot more extreme than they present in public, it at least implies he’s as far out of touch on this one as on science issues generally.

And I agree, it is funny how one assumes that a certain set of attitudes should be correlated with another. I grew up around a lot of left-wing Catholics, and I always assumed Catholicism was naturally aligned with the left politically. Then I meet people like L.R. who are devote Catholics and extreme libertarians, and I am shocked. Then I see people like Rocinante and Penn and Teller and get the idea that libertarian and Randian ways of thinking must predispose to skepticism, but you find can find people like L.R. and Ron Paul are libertarians who believe in God over science and AM. Funny how people can so easily make seemingly incompatible ideas fit together in their heads. grin

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 01 January 2008 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-01-01

Funny how people can so easily make seemingly incompatible ideas fit together in their heads

and how stubbornly we cling to such notions, even when faced with evidence to the contrary smile

Posted: 02 January 2008 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20
mckenzievmd - 01 January 2008 11:21 AM

And I agree, it is funny how one assumes that a certain set of attitudes should be correlated with another. I grew up around a lot of left-wing Catholics, and I always assumed Catholicism was naturally aligned with the left politically. Then I meet people like L.R. who are devote Catholics and extreme libertarians, and I am shocked. Then I see people like Rocinante and Penn and Teller and get the idea that libertarian and Randian ways of thinking must predispose to skepticism, but you find can find people like L.R. and Ron Paul are libertarians who believe in God over science and AM. Funny how people can so easily make seemingly incompatible ideas fit together in their heads. grin

I don’t think any one political persuasion has a monopoly on skeptical thinking. 

Libertarian Ron Paul’s nutty beliefs have already been discussed.  And he is not alone when it comes to libertarians believing in flim-flammery. 

Conservatives and/or Republicans are more likely to believe in Creationism and other religious based un-scientific claims. 

Liberals and/or Democrats are more likely to believe in UFOs, astrology, reincarnation and ghosts. 

So no political belief system is immune from errors in logical thinking.  It’s not a conservative thing.  It’s not a liberal thing.  It’s not a libertarian thing.  It’s a human thing.

As a libertarian myself, I can say that about the only thing libertarians generally agree on is freedom.  And freedom is a tough enough sell these days without the blue-skinned guy in the link above giving the rest of us a bad name!  rolleyes

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

3 of 3