Loschmidt - “How big is a molecule?” - 1865
Posted: 15 December 2007 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-03-15

An excerpt from this article:

The great puzzles of the mid nineteenth century drew Loschmidt in—questions like “How big is a molecule?” Ask yourself how you’d answer that one—obviously not with a ruler. Loschmidt realized he could deduce the size of molecules from two kinds of information. One was a relation connecting the size of gas molecules to the distance they travel between collisions. The other was the packed volume of molecules in a cold liquid. He correctly found that a small molecule is around one nanometer in size.

He deduced the size of molecules by doing what??

How was he able to detect the size of gas molecules, and how was he able to detect the distance they travel between collisions?

How was he able to deduce the size of molecule via a packed volume of molecules in cold liquid?

Posted: 15 December 2007 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

You’re confused, Cory.  This is a discussion forum, not your own private physics class tutorial.  I suggest you do an Internet search for the information, and if that doesn’t satisfy you, do as a number of us have suggested and sign up for an elementary physics course.  However, you apparently don’t want to put out that effort.

Occam

Posted: 15 December 2007 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2007-03-15
Occam - 15 December 2007 12:44 PM

You’re confused, Cory.  This is a discussion forum, not your own private physics class tutorial.  I suggest you do an Internet search for the information, and if that doesn’t satisfy you, do as a number of us have suggested and sign up for an elementary physics course.  However, you apparently don’t want to put out that effort.

Occam

Translation: Cory, you pose excellent questions, ones that reveal my ignorance to myself.

Posted: 15 December 2007 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10

Estimate of Molecular Size

best explanation I could find but keep in mind molecules are just quantum fuzz with no definite size.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 15 December 2007 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22
CoryDuchesne - 15 December 2007 02:40 PM
Occam - 15 December 2007 12:44 PM

Occam

Translation: Cory, you pose excellent questions, ones that reveal my ignorance to myself.

Apparently your first language isn’t English since that’s a completely inaccurate translation.  As a retired scientist I had to go through and understand years of chemistry and physics courses.  Your questions are puerile, childish, and demonstrate that you are woefully uneducated in science.

Occam