1 of 2
Why is Occam a moderator?
Posted: 16 December 2007 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-09-17

At every turn he belittles and mocks the membership. I don’t even dare post here for fear of his embarrassing tirades.

Why is he tolerated by the administration? Is it a family thing? I’m a f’ing Mensan and I don’t even feel like I can participate here, which is a real shame.

Thanks for a fantastic podcast. I’ll stick to that.

Posted: 16 December 2007 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-17

Oh, and I’m well aware that this might’ve been addressed via PM, but I thought he deserved public scrutiny.

Posted: 16 December 2007 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15355
Joined  2006-02-14

Occam is a smart and well-respected Mod on our Forum. He’s also older generation, a self-described “old fud”, and tends to have a bit of a short fuse and sharp tongue.

Some exchanges between members also involve longer histories of which you may not be entirely aware, unless you are willing to spend a little time looking through the archives. In general, I would suggest that if you find something you feel should be challenged, it is probably better to do so in the particular thread at issue rather than issue a blanket condemnation. None of us are perfect, and sometimes we have better days than others.

wink

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 17 December 2007 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

To be criticized by Occam is an honour. At least you know he has read your comment… :grin:

Posted: 18 December 2007 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22
Isherwood - 16 December 2007 06:03 PM

At every turn he belittles and mocks the membership. I don’t even dare post here for fear of his embarrassing tirades.

Isherwood, I was concerned with your blanket indictment and wondered if I had been too harsh, so I went back through my last few hundred posts.  I find that the majority of them were merely informational, the next most frequent were aimed at being supportive and helpful.  I found only a very few where I chastised someone.  And going back over those posts that elicited that response, I feel that I was essentially always justified.  You may want to perform a similar analysis to verify that your statement is justified.

I’m a f’ing Mensan and I don’t even feel like I can participate here, which is a real shame.

I’m sorry that you feel your superior intelligence wouldn’t be able to protect your posts from criticism.  I suggest you do participate and see what the results are.

Occam

Posted: 18 December 2007 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02

Why is he tolerated by the administration?

Occam is a knowledgeable person and has some wisdom about him.

I’m a f’ing Mensan and I don’t even feel like I can participate here, which is a real shame.

May I ask why you keep bragging about being a Mensa member?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 19 December 2007 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21

Why is he tolerated by the administration? Is it a family thing? I’m a f’ing Mensan and I don’t even feel like I can participate here, which is a real shame.

Thanks for a fantastic podcast. I’ll stick to that.

If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 19 December 2007 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

<>

[ Edited: 22 January 2008 08:38 PM by zarcus ]

Posted: 19 December 2007 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
zarcus - 19 December 2007 10:04 AM

The better question is: Why am I not a moderator!?

Ahh, Zarcus. You’ll always be a moderator to me… :grin:

Posted: 20 December 2007 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21
zarcus - 19 December 2007 10:04 AM

The better question is: Why am I not a moderator!?

I have not belittled a soul on this forum, nor have I engaged in a tirade. The administration may not be family, but ain’t we all brothers and sisters?

Also, few others have shown such dignity and restraint then I. I may not be Mensa material, but I am mental.

Lastly, looking back over the last hundred of my post, it appears I have offered great wisdom. BTW, all those “deleted” messages were supposed to read delighted.

Why did you go through and delete all those posts?

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 20 December 2007 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-17
Mriana - 18 December 2007 04:35 PM

May I ask why you keep bragging about being a Mensa member?

Actually, I’ve only mentioned it twice, once here are once at my introduction. Interesting that you consider it “bragging”. The reason I did mention it again is because your friend Occam seems to like slamming anyone without the vast expertise in science he claims to have. Apparently, the ability to discuss a subject intelligently is of far less importance than a person’s accumulated knowledge. At least that’s the very sharp message he keeps sending. I’d very much enjoy discussions on the topics I’ve seen him shoot down solely out of apparent disinterest.

BTW, I don’t assume I’m smarter than any of you. In fact, my impression is that you’re mostly of Mensa caliber, tested or not. It’s for that reason that I’m shocked you tolerate this type of hostility on the forum.

[ Edited: 20 December 2007 02:35 PM by Isherwood ]

Posted: 28 December 2007 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

I was a bit surprised by the title of this thread and this comment.  I am part of the “membership” and I find Occam to be quite cordial, even when we disagree.  Occam is such an important part of this forum that, somehow, I feel that it is my duty here to jump in and say something in support of him.  So here goes.

OCCAM IS GREAT!  OCCAM IS GREAT!  THREE CHEERS FOR OCCAM!

HIP HIP HOORAY!
HIP HIP HOORAY!
HIP HIP HOORAY!

Are Mensan’s supposed to be mean?

Posted: 28 December 2007 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-09-17

That’s a rather ridiculous generalization covering your obvious insult.

Apparently your first language isn’t English since that’s a completely inaccurate translation.  As a retired scientist I had to go through and understand years of chemistry and physics courses.  Your questions are puerile, childish, and demonstrate that you are woefully uneducated in science.

Barbed and arrogant, to say the least. This is one of several examples I encountered in my short time here. Apparently some of you have short memories or different definitions of respect.

Don’t get the idea that I have some sort of vendetta against the guy. It’s just that this type of rudeness totally closes doors to dialog in a forum such as this. You can bet your butts that many less vocal than I am are turned away by it. If you want this supposedly open-minded place to be so, you’d better work toward a more welcome atmosphere.

That’s all I have. Good day and happy new year.

Posted: 28 December 2007 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02
Isherwood - 20 December 2007 02:32 PM

BTW, I don’t assume I’m smarter than any of you. In fact, my impression is that you’re mostly of Mensa caliber, tested or not. It’s for that reason that I’m shocked you tolerate this type of hostility on the forum.

What most of us don’t like is arrogance, conceitedness, bagging, and being full of oneself.  It’s hard to tolerate such behaviours.

You see, most of us don’t come here and right off the bat brag about our intelligence.  Many of us know that it’s just a score that can fluctuate at any given time, based on stress level, amount of sleep, illness or pain, and whether or not we’ve eaten before the test.  You could very well score 165 and then at another time score 145 or 135.  It’s all based on the variables mentioned and it is not constant.  It’s just a score.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 26 April 2008 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  212
Joined  2008-02-25

Here’s to you Occam…

I was absolutely shocked to find this thread, I came here to just say thank you to the forum for the gold mine that it is, and yes the kindness and tolerance those “Stealth Fighters” exhibite with everybody including the little turtle that I am LOL  LOL ,  and next thing I see this!!! I also was going to ask what happened to Occam since I haven’t spotted his posts for a time now.

Occam is really cool guy and so is all of this Forum’s family, I think it is beautiful wonderful brilliant one. Thank you all.

[ Edited: 26 April 2008 07:27 PM by Daisy ]

Posted: 26 April 2008 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11

Wow, I wandered into this thread expecting and homage to Occam for all of the time he has put in as a moderator. I have found him to be very supportive, but with little patience for intransigent (lack of a better word) fools. Imagine my surprise to find a thread dedicated to finding people to join in on a trashfest. I really don’t think you’ll have many takers!
geo

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

1 of 2