Harris finds disbelief disgusts us
Posted: 17 December 2007 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2007-09-14

Sam Harris is up to it again, only less vitriolically this time. smile

He’s done brain-scans to find out how the brain reacts to things it believes vs. disbelieves, and finds the reaction to be associated with primitive areas of the brain associated with visceral perceptions and emotions.  This response does not depend on whether the “truth” is subjective or objective.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1694723,00.html?cnn=yes

To me, this seems like a neurological tie-in to the idea of cognative dissonance: What we don’t believe disgusts us, regardless of the facts.

[ Edited: 17 December 2007 01:14 PM by tscott ]

Posted: 17 December 2007 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

Here is the study - http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/117858891/HTMLSTART

Posted: 17 December 2007 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

I’d be interested in the details of the study, and in versions of it run by folks of less obvious an a priori ideological stance. Of course, I’m predisposed to like the conclusions, but I’m a bit skeptical about studies that rely, fundamentally, on semantic categories and subject self-reporting of belief or disbelief to correlate with more objective things like fMRI images. I can see the potential for skewing results in how the questions are framed and asked, how the subject responses other than the imaging are interpreted, etc. Still, I already believe that all we think/feel/believe etc is encoded in brain activity, so even if the paper were methodologically unassailable, it would be a bit ho hum to me, and still never accepted by those already convinced faith is given by god or some such.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 17 December 2007 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Where does it say that disbelief disgusts us?  I read it, but I didn’t see it.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 17 December 2007 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2007-09-14
Mriana - 17 December 2007 09:36 PM

Where does it say that disbelief disgusts us?  I read it, but I didn’t see it.

Equally “primitive” areas associated with taste, pain perception and disgust determined disbelief. “False propositions may actually disgust us,” Harris writes.

Posted: 17 December 2007 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Nah, false propositions are often the best stuff on which to base humor.  I enjoy being a wise-ass and joking, and it usually entails some sort of twist on reality or “truth”.  My humor may disgust others, but never does it disgust me. LOL

Occam

Posted: 18 December 2007 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Next Harris is going to be Rev. what’s his name of Landover Baptist Church, just to appease our “primitive” brains.  rolleyes  Please!  I don’t like that Rev even if he is “acting” and doing a satire of Evangelical Ministers.  That man makes me sick and Harris is starting to make me sick.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 18 December 2007 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

<>

[ Edited: 22 January 2008 08:01 PM by zarcus ]

Posted: 25 December 2007 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-07-28

I guess that multiple factors can affect the responses of the observed.

A typical reaction of a wife is rejection when she is told that her husband has died in an accidente minutes ago, but if she is sick in bed her reaction may be resignation and crying with great pain as soon she hears it. Who knows.

Lets say, “I do not reject anything but lazy people, I can’t handle a person who doesn’t want to produce something. My reaction is not to help them, neither to look for or to accept their friendship.”

Can the status or behaviour of laziness be included in the study? Can be this case used as a new cataloging?

Posted: 25 December 2007 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
zarcus - 18 December 2007 07:16 AM

Lastly, the attention given to this rather small study of only 14 people is testament to the influence Sam Harris can use. It is said that this is a first of it’s kind to study belief and disbelief, but as I point out above, so what.

14 people and his study made it to the Annals of Neurology?  IMHO, a test group that size doesn’t give his results much meaning.  I would take this with a grain of salt and wait for further and larger tests.  IF they can repeat these results more than once, then amybe it’s worth paying attention to and um… believing.  Damn!  I was trying to avoid that word.  LOL  Oh well, I’m still skeptical of this study.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 25 December 2007 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Miana, maybe “accepting provisionally” instead of “believing” could be preferable to you.  LOL

Ocam

Posted: 25 December 2007 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
Occam - 25 December 2007 12:59 PM

Miana, maybe “accepting provisionally” instead of “believing” could be preferable to you.  LOL

Ocam

LOL  Hey, I like that.  I’ll have to remember that.  Thanks.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 27 December 2007 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19
Occam - 25 December 2007 12:59 PM

Ocam

Provisionally is a good word that doesn’t get used enough.  Note to self: Bring back provisionally.  smile

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 27 December 2007 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2282
Joined  2007-07-05

What we don’t believe disgusts us, regardless of the facts.

Yeah, who needs to know how much steel was on the impact floors of the WTC.

ROFLMAO

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental