Creationism Master’s Degrees in Texas
Posted: 19 December 2007 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Related to the story about the Texas science curriculum director earlier, now it appears that a Texas panel on education has given the green light to certify creationist master’s degrees.

Today’s article from the NYTimes HERE:

Green Light for Institute on Creation in Texas

By RALPH BLUMENTHAL
Published: December 19, 2007
HOUSTON — A Texas higher education panel has recommended allowing a Bible-based group called the Institute for Creation Research to offer online master’s degrees in science education.

<snip>

Henry Morris III, the chief executive of the Institute for Creation Research, said Tuesday that the proposed curriculum, taught in California, used faculty and textbooks “from all the top schools” along with, he said, the “value added” of challenges to standard teachings of evolution.

“Where the difference is, we provide both sides of the story,” Mr. Morris said. On its Web site, the institute declares, “All things in the universe were created and made by God in the six literal days of the creation week” and says it “equips believers with evidences of the Bible’s accuracy and authority through scientific research, educational programs, and media presentations, all conducted within a thoroughly biblical framework.”

It also says “the harmful consequences of evolutionary thinking on families and society (abortion, promiscuity, drug abuse, homosexuality and many others) are evident all around us.” ...

Fortunately, this still has to get through another panel before it’s official. We’ll see the final decision after January 24, 2008 ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 19 December 2007 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21

Yet another attempt to make their view seem more reasonable and logical then it really is. They continue to try to make it seem like there is scientific evidence to support their beliefs. It’s funny because they usually bash science when it provides evidence that apposes their beliefs. Yet they still try to convert logical thinkers by claiming there is scientific evidence that supports their beliefs. Pretty shady dealings if you ask me.

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 19 December 2007 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

“Both” sides of the story? What happened to the other explanation of the world’s creation?

The Boshongo, a Bantu Tribe, believe that in the beginning, Bumba was all alone in the water.  Then however, he got sick and vomited the sun, moon, stars, and land.  Next he vomited nine animals: the leopard, the eagle, the crocodile, Yo the fish, the tortoise, the lightning (who was later exiled to the sky), the white heron, one beetle, and the goat.  The last thing that he vomited was mankind.  The animals and Bumba’s three suns then created plants and the rest of the animals.

In Bumba I trust. Now, can I get my PhD?

Posted: 19 December 2007 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

I wonder if you can get a masters in fortune telling?  grin

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 19 December 2007 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Geez, I really feel sorry for the intelligent, rational citizens of that state.

Occam

Posted: 19 December 2007 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

You see, Mensa boy? Occam can be a nice guy. LOL

Posted: 19 December 2007 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-07-19
George - 19 December 2007 01:35 PM

You see, Mensa boy? Occam can be a nice guy. LOL

LOL

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 19 December 2007 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

And it only takes 6 days to get the degree!  You rest on the 7th after all that hard work!  LOL

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 19 December 2007 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

I’ll bet they get a flood of applications!  :grin:

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 20 December 2007 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-07-19

The Good thing about this, is that atheist advocates can get a degree in this field in order to add credibility to their debates. Also, all the arguments in favor of creationism will receive intense scrutiny and will hopefully increase the likelihood that serious creationists discover its fallibility and reject their major.

Signature 

Posted: 28 December 2007 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2007-06-08

Next thing you know, they’ll be offering Master’s degrees at the Ponds Institute and the Vidal Sassoon Academy! wink

[ Edited: 29 December 2007 11:58 AM by majestyx ]

Posted: 28 December 2007 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2007-06-08
morgantj - 19 December 2007 07:01 AM

Yet another attempt to make their view seem more reasonable and logical then it really is. They continue to try to make it seem like there is scientific evidence to support their beliefs. It’s funny because they usually bash science when it provides evidence that apposes their beliefs. Yet they still try to convert logical thinkers by claiming there is scientific evidence that supports their beliefs. Pretty shady dealings if you ask me.

Right on! I’ve always thought that myself. I guess the Scopes’ Monkey Trial still haunts them to this day. They are somehow trying to turn the tables by using scientific evidence against itself. When that fails, they can always trump it with “the Bible says…” or “you just have to have faith” and feel completely justified in doing so.

Posted: 28 December 2007 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  7572
Joined  2007-03-02

What will they come up with next?  rolleyes  And these people are suppose to be able to get jobs with such a bogus degree?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 01 January 2008 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

The Regent University School of Law has a good track record placing graduates in key administrative positions. May the flying Spaghetti Monster help us, these IDiots are everywhere.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 18 January 2008 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

Texas delays decision on offering science degree at creation college

Dallas: School needs state OK to offer master’s in science education

Found HERE

Posted: 18 January 2008 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2008-01-14

all RIGHT! Soon I’ll be able to get my degree in Pastafarianism and Intelligent Falling.

FSM be praised, we’ll soon be legitimate!

Signature 

People say we need religion when what they really mean is we need police.—H.L. Mencken
Split hairs, not atoms.