AAAS Podcast discusses alternative medicine
Posted: 20 December 2007 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15355
Joined  2006-02-14

Science Update is the podcast from the American Association for the Advancement of Science. The podcast page is HERE.

Check the alternative medicine episode out HERE. There is also a short clip and summary HERE. This is the takehome message (my emphasis):

BOB HIRSHON (host):
Millions of people turn to complementary and alternative medicine when modern medicine fails to improve their health. But do these therapies really work? Biostatistician Barker Bausell, of the University of Maryland, Baltimore, recently put them to the test. He systematically analyzed the evidence from high quality, controlled studies of these therapies to see if they were any better at relieving peoples’ symptoms than placebos. Placebos are inactive substances or sham treatments given to one group in a study to control for any improvement not due to the therapy itself.

DR. BARKER BAUSELL (University of Maryland, Baltimore):
The results, were, I think, quite definitive. I think complementary and alternative medical therapies are nothing more than cleverly packaged placebos.

[ Edited: 20 December 2007 08:02 AM by dougsmith ]
 Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 December 2007 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

Thanks, Doug. Great introduction to the AAAS podcast, which I didn’t know existed.

Posted: 20 December 2007 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

One of the nice things about the weekly AAAS podcasts is that they are short—around ten minutes long. Too many podcasts nowadays are really padding things out to over an hour. (PoI not included, of course ... wink  ).

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 20 December 2007 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  418
Joined  2007-07-19

Looks like another great podcast to add to my list.  Thanks for the link. :grin:

Signature 

“It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science.” ~ Carl Sagan

Posted: 20 December 2007 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

NB: they have both “daily” and “weekly” versions. I think the “weekly” one seems slightly more in-depth at around 10 minutes long, while each of the daily ones is around a minute ... (5 x 1 minute = 5 minutes, or half the time of the weekly episode).

Signature 

Doug

‹‹ Pet Acupunture      Special Needs ››