hello
Posted: 22 December 2007 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-12-22

hello,
my name is akshay sarathy and i just moved to canton, mi from india.
i was just feeling a little let down the other day as i am a part of a really orthodox family, and they have issues with what i believe (or disbelieve). apparently, i’m going to go to hell for asking “why?” and for asking them to explain their beliefs. we are told that some things are meant to be believed without question, but i can’t accept that.
anyway, i was a little depressed, and on a whim, googled ‘atheist support groups in michigan’, and i found this amazing website. i plan to be an active member, and i hope that whatever i do will make a difference in the effort to protect reason, logic and scientific thinking in the world.

best wishes,
akshay

[ Edited: 22 December 2007 01:32 PM by thewindandtheflame ]

Posted: 22 December 2007 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Welcome, Akshay.  Glad to have you here, and you’ll find many who think much as you do here.  There are quite a few on this forum who have the same family problems you do.  There’s not much any of us can do to change their beliefs, but if we can help them become a bit more accepting it helps everyone.  Look over the various forums and threads and jump in with your thoughts.  If you have any questions about the board feel free to ask.

Occam

Posted: 22 December 2007 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15405
Joined  2006-02-14

Yes, welcome Akshay. It can be tough to have an unsympathetic family, and sometimes an outside support group can help get you over the difficult moments.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 22 December 2007 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7595
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome akshay.  Glad to have you here and I do hope things get better with the more non-theist groups you find.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 21 March 2008 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-09-19

Hi Akshay,

Welcome!

CFI | MIchigan is starting a new chapter in Souteast Michigan. Send me an e-mail ( .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) ) and I’ll put you in touch with the leaders there. Also, I’d encourage you to check out the CFI | Michigan calendar and get signed up at http://www.centerforinquiry.net/michigan

Signature 

Jefferson Seaver
Executive Director
Center for Inquiry | Michigan

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/michigan
jseaver@centerforinquiry.net

‹‹ New campus affiliate at Yale      HOWL ››