3 of 4
Zeitgeist movie
Posted: 11 April 2008 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24
Mriana - 26 December 2007 08:53 PM

Yes, I watched it and I agree with the majority of it concerning religion.  If you dig deep enough you will find what Acharya is talking about.  It doesn’t take any leaps of faith for me, because I figured out even before reading her books.

Oh no ... not Acharya S??? Lord save us!!!!

Kyu

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 11 April 2008 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02
Kyuuketsuki UK - 11 April 2008 01:00 AM
Mriana - 26 December 2007 08:53 PM

Yes, I watched it and I agree with the majority of it concerning religion.  If you dig deep enough you will find what Acharya is talking about.  It doesn’t take any leaps of faith for me, because I figured out even before reading her books.

Oh no ... not Acharya S??? Lord save us!!!!

Kyu

She’s just saying what many other scholars have said, only in more detail.  She stated exactly what I learned in a university class called Old Testament Parallels, with a text by the same title and taught by the author Victor Matthews.  Honestly, I don’t know why people try so hard to discredit a woman who DOES know what she is talking about and no, I’m not just going by that once class either, but several other scholars.  Personally, I get really sick of how she is dogged by others, esp when they haven’t even read her work.  Even Robert Price finally read her work and is now supporting her endevours.  Sometimes I think people need to actually research the subject even deeper than they have, for they seemed to have only scratched the surface when they make such unknowledgable comments.  Once they have researched as deeply and as thoroughly, then they might understand more.

BTW, she had very little to do with Zeitgeist.  The creators of Zeitgeist refer to her work and others, but she didn’t have anything to do with the movie.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 11 April 2008 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2007-12-27

She certainly deserves a lot more credit…

“ZEITGEIST, Part 1” Debunked? NOT!

“...When the subject matter is examined scientifically and in depth, there continues to be no credible evidence for the existence of the gospel character named Jesus Christ, and the preponderance of scientific evidence points to him being as mythical a character as the Greek god Hercules and the many other deities of the Roman Empire of the time.

While people who take such a position are widely subjected to ridicule and derision, based on all the evidence this conclusion is demonstrably the most reasonable and logical. Furthermore, in a truthful world where we should not be compelled to reside in BLIND BELIEF, this perspective should be allowed to exist without its holders being derogated and abused, as well as dunned with impossibly high standards of proof, while claims in the religious arena require little to no proof at all! “

http://tbknews.blogspot.com/2008/04/zeitgeist-refuted-not.html

Posted: 11 April 2008 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I wasn’t saying she didn’t, Freethinka, just noting that she didn’t have an actual part in the movie.

I can’t believe the Fundamgelicals that are posting and spewing hateful things.  It isn’t very influencial toward Xianity, that is for sure.  In some cases, they really need to get an education, esp about sheol. UNBELIEVABLE!

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 12 April 2008 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-27

My comment “She certainly deserves a lot more credit…” was just a general comment not directed at anyone…

She certainly gets blasted with a lot of one-sided bias from Atheists and Freethinkers as well. Generally, they’ve never actually studied her work at all.

Posted: 12 April 2008 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
Freethinkaluva - 12 April 2008 10:38 AM

My comment “She certainly deserves a lot more credit…” was just a general comment not directed at anyone…

She certainly gets blasted with a lot of one-sided bias from Atheists and Freethinkers as well. Generally, they’ve never actually studied her work at all.

OK.  I was going to say…  :(

You are right though and it’s the Freethinking communitee that I don’t understand the most.  You would think they would be the ones most willing to read her books and do actual research concerning what she says.  Makes no sense to me, but then again, humans don’t always make sense.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 14 April 2008 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  212
Joined  2008-02-25

Sophos,

thanks for posting this.

Posted: 14 April 2008 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2008-04-14

I haven’t read every post on this thread so this may have been covered (never stopped any of us, right?):

As far as the pagan origins of Christ, I don’t think there’s much doubt that ALL religions cannibalize previous traditions so it’s not a great leap to say the Christ myth was probably derived from Egyptian, Greek, Persian and other pantheons just as these older civilizations built on prehistoric belief systems and so on.  There’s no reason to have to pick apart every sentence of the Jesus narrative looking for evidence — although it can be fascinating as a practice of mythology.

There are many examples of rising and dying gods that were very popular throughout the Near Eastern world and, at the very least, we can say there was a correlation among them if not, at most, a direct/indirect causation (Mithras begat Dionysius begat Jesus — or whatever the sequence).

What this tells us is there were certain philosophical memes in the air during those years — cultural trends, if you will.  Despite their lack of reality, they obviously fulfilled some sort of cultural or emotional need by the people of that time period who were in the midst of tremendous historical upheaval (changes in commerce — goods AND ideas, changes in empire, cross-cultural mingling, etc.)

So, to me there is no real debate about pagan roots in Christianity (call it Horus or Mithras or whatever)  — it’s obviously present as it is with all world religions (Hinduism birthing Buddhism, etc.)

Think of a modern example:  Many people obviously have some kind of cultural need that is fulfilled by watching competitive “reality” shows. So, shows like Big Brother develop and, later, similar shows, like American Idol and Dancing With the Stars evolve from the same need-driven concept or meme.  Only, in our society, these cultural memes catch on much more quickly thanks to instant, worldwide communication.  Ancient religion evolved much slower and was gradually filtered through various cultural beliefs (like Christianity was filtered through Judaism). 

Now, as to the evidence of a historical Jesus, my own amateur investigation leads me to conclude that there probably were one or more Jewish prophetic figures who were blended together to form the modern Jesus image (as well as John the Baptist) — the same goes for the Buddha, King Arthur, Hercules, etc.  I mean, look how quickly American mythologized George Washington and the “cherry tree.” We human love to take regular folks and stretch them into legends.  For better or worse, the Jesus myth took off at a time when monolithic philosophical thought was highly contagious as was migration.

OK, I will now shut up, safe in the knowledge that my words and avatar will someday spark a new “religion.” Mountanas Humanasis?

Posted: 09 May 2008 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-27

Enjoy the new video:

“ZEITGEIST, Part 1” - Debunked or Refuted?
A Video Response

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_9ZyddjaM4

;

Posted: 16 May 2008 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-27

The video above and the blog here may be used as a response to all of the ANTI-Zeitgeist part 1 info and videos going around the net. Since Gerald Massey and others are long dead and since Acharya is a main source for part 1 and she’s still alive today, it’s fair to present her video and blog as a response. The blog was able to emphasize things that a 10 minutes youtube video could not so they compliment one another.

“ZEITGEIST, Part 1” Refuted? Not!
http://tbknews.blogspot.com/2008/04/zeitgeist-refuted-not.html

Any thoughts on the blog/video?

Posted: 26 November 2008 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-27

Creator of Zeitgeist: viewed *50 MILLION* times

Peter Joseph, the creator of the Zeitgeist Movie, said on “Coast to Coast” that Zeitgeist has now been viewed around *50 MILLION* times.

This would of course, include views worldwide in several languages. Listen to it at 3:45 in part 1, on youtube titled, “Peter Joseph Interview Nov. 15th ‘08”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaF43UO9Aro

That is absolutely fantastic!!!

Posted: 29 November 2008 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2008-07-01
Freethinkaluva - 26 November 2008 06:42 PM

Creator of Zeitgeist: viewed *50 MILLION* times

Peter Joseph, the creator of the Zeitgeist Movie, said on “Coast to Coast” that Zeitgeist has now been viewed around *50 MILLION* times.

This would of course, include views worldwide in several languages. Listen to it at 3:45 in part 1, on youtube titled, “Peter Joseph Interview Nov. 15th ‘08”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaF43UO9Aro

That is absolutely fantastic!!!

Except that there’s the potential for atheistic ideas to be lumped in with 9/11 conspiracy rubbish and other anti-government conspiracy rubbish.

I’m quietly appalled.

Signature 

If I have seen less far, it is because of these giants standing on my shoulders

Posted: 25 February 2009 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
Sophos - 26 December 2007 08:44 PM

If you haven’t heard of the film, you may do just that at http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com

Now, after I saw the film, I realized that they were actually making some pretty tall claims. If I may condense Part 1 drastically, I will say that they claim that Christianity it its entirety is a complete knock-off of Egyptian theology, as well as pagan theology. They compare Jesus to Horus, and ultimately come to the conclusion that they are one in the same. They indirectly claim that ever religion on the planet share a messiah or savior, all with strikingly similar traits, and are actually based off each other, all based off an astrological event that happens during the winter equinox.

Now, after doing a fair amount of research, I’ve found that many of these claims are either exaggerated, taken out of context, leaps of faith, or fallacies in their entirety.

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/09-02-25.html#feature
The above link has a review of the movie…

Jackson

Posted: 25 February 2009 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Sadly, I don’t agree with Shermer on this one or rather Callahan.  I’m inclined to believe that each tribal group adapted and adopted the stories to their culture, because they all basically the same.  Where they originated is hard to decide though- could be Hinduism or stories prior to that IMO.  I honestly do believe that the Abrahamic religions evolved from Egyptian, Babylonian, and Assyrian stories (which I did take a class taught by Victor H. Matthews at the local uni called by the same title of his book Old Testament Parallels) and those stories came from other sources, possibly the Hindu stories.  Before you discount the stories coming from Babylonian and Egyptian sources, I suggest you check out Victor Matthews books and alike books.  Even he claims such stories originated with those sources.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 01 March 2009 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-27

Acharya has responded to Callahan’s article -

Skeptic Mangles ZEITGEIST
(and Religious History)

http://stellarhousepublishing.com/skeptic-zeitgeist.html

She mops the floor with him demonstrating that when it comes to the facts surrounding Zeitgeist part 1 he doesn’t know what he’s talking about after all.

3 of 4