Interview of Paul Kurtz in 11/14/2007 Skeptics Guide Podcast
Posted: 03 January 2008 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

http://www.theskepticsguide.org/archive.asp

The Skeptic’s Guide to the Universe

Podcast 121 (11/14/2007) includes an interview with Paul Kurtz.  Some discussion of the distinction between secular humanism and secular ‘naturalism’, for people like me who are new to much of this.

Posted: 04 January 2008 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

I think this was mentioned elsewhere on the site in a different thread, but good to have it separated out for those who missed it.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 January 2008 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

Yes Jackson.  I enjoyed this.  Particularly Paul’s points about “humanism” becoming more and more so “naturalism” and “ethical naturalism.”  It would be difficult to sway self described humanists to accept such a new word label.  But its seems that there is something of a better “brand” quality in the term “ethical naturalist” than there is in “humanist.”  I can’t think of how many people have told me that they thought I worshiped humans or placed humans at the center of the world just because of the sound of the word “humanist.”  It is always an ordeal to explain humanism, to people who have never heard of it, as a philosophy that evolved out of enlightenment values, etc.