11 of 11
The most important reason to support Barack Obama for president
Posted: 29 April 2008 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3349
Joined  2007-11-21
Jaik - 29 April 2008 10:08 AM

Then you don’t understand the economy.  The wealthy provide capital for investment.  They don’t bury their money in the back yard.  They take risks and create jobs with it.  You tax that money and you restrict the available capital for investment.  That raises the price of capital (loans become more expensive).

That is a generalization.

Of course it is.

The wealthy don’t all take risks and stimulate the economy. SOME do, but not all. When you speak so broadly about something like that it doesn’t lend credit to your case concerning economic know-how.

How do wealthy folks hold their wealth minus risk (other than via strategies such as burying their money in a hole in the ground)?  Enlighten me.

I’m not sure that it’s entirely fair to tax people with higher income higher rates, which is one of my problems with Democrats. But I promise you McCain’s continuation of the war (regardless of its basis) is going to accomplish nothing but raising the deficit.

You’re scaring that other guy.  wink

What economic reasoning supports your thesis, please?

Posted: 29 April 2008 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2008-04-26
Bryan - 29 April 2008 08:16 AM
Light60 - 29 April 2008 01:48 AM

Remember, I’m not an American and am speaking from memory and knowledge gained principally from reading newspapers and internet articles smile.

Hillary Clinton seems to have acquired a broad awareness ...

Barack Obama is a very intelligent and articulate man ...

Both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama have unique symbolic importance as well:  a woman and a black man.  They are each representative in their own way of groups which have been singularly disadvantaged in different ways.  Both are immensely talented.

I think it is poignantly ironic that these two should be battling each other and that this battle may mean that the Republicans are re-elected.

I found it interesting that you launched a poignant criticism of the American system as being very personality-based and then in answering my question focused on who the candidates are as people rather than on their specific policy positions.  I was after the policy positions, as a matter of fact.  I’m sorry if I didn’t communicate that clearly.

I think I made the point in an earlier post that the media reports most often are personality based and that it is very hard to get a clear idea of the policy platforms of either candidate or the party. So my answer was not based on rigorous knowledge but perceptions, what I have read recently and memory.  They are not empty observations, however.

When the Democrats make their choice I might then look into the policy positions of both final Presidential candidates more carefully if I can find reliable information, even though it is not my country’s election!  I’m interested in the outcome but it is not a priority for me to research the issues as thoroughly as Americans might need to.

[ Edited: 29 April 2008 11:03 PM by Light60 ]

Posted: 30 April 2008 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
Total Posts:  3349
Joined  2007-11-21
Light60 - 29 April 2008 05:52 PM

I think I made the point in an earlier post that the media reports most often are personality based and that it is very hard to get a clear idea of the policy platforms of either candidate or the party.

You certainly did.  I remember it vividly.

So my answer was not based on rigorous knowledge but perceptions, what I have read recently and memory.  They are not empty observations, however.

Accepted.

When the Democrats make their choice I might then look into the policy positions of both final Presidential candidates more carefully if I can find reliable information, even though it is not my country’s election!  I’m interested in the outcome but it is not a priority for me to research the issues as thoroughly as Americans might need to.

Fair enough.  Thanks for the response, in any case.

Posted: 30 April 2008 05:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Light60,

I agree with your observation, “I think it is poignantly ironic that these two should be battling each other and that this battle may mean that the Republicans are re-elected.”
Your attention to our elections is welcome - and you are correct, your observations are not empty. If all Americans cared as much as you do, then we would have a better president today.

You may have noticed that we have persons here who - no matter what is exposed or explained - simply refuse to modify their views. You must have some of those types where you are too, no?

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

11 of 11