1 of 3
New Sponsor?
Posted: 11 January 2008 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

I notice on the new Aubrey de Grey podcast that PoI has a real outside sponsor, with Audible.com. Interesting development! I know that the magazines do not carry advertising, but understood that to be at least in part because it was so difficult to get companies to buy ad space in a magazine that published such “controversial” subject matter.

Anyway I think it’s an interesting and indeed positive development for PoI. (And I wanted to post about this in a separate thread so as not to sidetrack discussion of de Grey).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 January 2008 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2007-02-21

Thanks Doug, I also see it as a positive development and might allow us to expand our reach for Point of Inquiry in the future. At three years in the podcast market is maturing and a robust advertising structure is developing. As you mentioned, taking paid advertising is not something that we have ever really done with the magazines so this is unexplored territory for us but we are excited that it may be a benefit to CFI.

Both CFI and Audible are testing the waters with this advertising campaign so these first few weeks are being watched closely. If you are not yet a member of Audible.com, I highly recommend you sign up at http://www.audiblepodcast.com/point and receive a free audiobook download, supporting POI in the process.

Posted: 12 January 2008 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2006-11-24

I can imagine this might be quite lucrative for audible.com
Audio books are addictive, and a fantastic alternative to radio drivel for those unfortunate enough to spend a third of their lives in traffic. (not me, happily, I listen while walking y St Bernard).
Plus, audible has created a market that lets producers of niche material gain broader distribution. A friend of mine tapes progressive talks and also offers them on audible. Doesn’t add much to his income but every bit helps.

Posted: 12 January 2008 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7573
Joined  2007-03-02

I’ve been listening to Freethought Radio http://www.freethoughtradio.com and they have picked up FFRF’s podcast of Freethought Radio as well as other podcasts from various other Freethought sources and play them on Sundays.  I was thinking that it might not be such a bad idea to here PoI there too.  They have the Thomas Jefferson Hour with Clay Jenkins, If I remember right they also have the Humanist News Network podcast, The Non-Prophets, Atheist of Austin’s podcast, and many more on Sundays.  This is a rather new thing and seems much better than there off program satire materials they use to have most of the day.  I wonder if CFI could do the same.  Personally, I love Freethought Radio and I’ve enjoyed their newest programming line up even more.  PoI would make it complete since I collect all these shows on podcast to hear on my iPod- though I admit less frequently now since I hear them on Sundays on Freethought Radio.  Of course, if I miss a show I still have the podcast to listen to as back up, so I don’t miss any of my favourites now.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 12 January 2008 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

<>

[ Edited: 22 January 2008 07:42 PM by zarcus ]

Posted: 12 January 2008 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-02-21

Actually Zarcus, from what I have been told at CFI, Doug is correct. It cost more years ago to pay a staffer to round up advertising for the magazines than the advertising brought in in revenue. This is because FI and SI have relatively small subscriber lists compared to say, Newsweek etc. Also, many advertisers were reluctant to advertise because of the controversial nature of the content.

Posted: 12 January 2008 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-05-09

<>

[ Edited: 22 January 2008 07:43 PM by zarcus ]

Posted: 12 January 2008 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-02-21

Zarcus: I am just going by what I heard from Tom Flynn and others. I was told that they had hired someone to sell advertising before, and that there were ads. I am not sure tehy ever traded off with Skeptic magazine, but I am not sure (sounds unlikely). But yes, I think it is good that we’re doing advertising now on POI. I hope it continues to help expand Point of Inquiry’s reach!

Posted: 12 January 2008 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-05-09

<>

[ Edited: 22 January 2008 07:43 PM by zarcus ]

Posted: 12 January 2008 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-05-09

<>

[ Edited: 22 January 2008 07:44 PM by zarcus ]

Posted: 12 January 2008 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-02-21

Zarcus, To my knowledge CSH nor CSI are not looking to take advertising in their magazines. But since I am not really involved with either publication, I cant continue answering your questions about them and advertising in them; I would direct you to Tom Flynn or Barry Karr, both at CFI. And back to the original topic about Point of Inquiry’s new ad, thanks Doug for the positive words—we’re optimistic!

And regarding Free Inquiry running an ad for Skeptic, maybe you mean Skeptical Inquirer, not Skeptic. I’ll have to go back and look at the old issues but I think running an ad for the Skeptic would be pretty unlikely for many reasons.

Posted: 12 January 2008 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-05-09

<>

[ Edited: 22 January 2008 07:44 PM by zarcus ]

Posted: 12 January 2008 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-02-21

To my knowledge CSH nor CSI are not looking to take advertising in their magazines. But since I am not really involved with either publication, I cant continue answering your questions about them and advertising in them; I would direct you to Tom Flynn or Barry Karr, both at CFI. And back to the original topic about Point of Inquiry’s new ad, thanks Doug for the positive words—we’re optimistic!

Posted: 13 January 2008 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
Thomas Donnelly - 11 January 2008 08:12 PM

Both CFI and Audible are testing the waters with this advertising campaign so these first few weeks are being watched closely. If you are not yet a member of Audible.com, I highly recommend you sign up at http://www.audiblepodcast.com/point and receive a free audiobook download, supporting POI in the process.

Since people are listening to POI *.mp3’s it is a small step to the aubible.com downloads.

I downloaded the Jula Sweeney production from audible.com after hearing about it on this forum http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/1519/#22851

You are right—there is an initial hurdle which is why they have the free offer—once people see how easy it is they are more likely to participate.

Posted: 13 January 2008 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-01-13

Hello all!

I’m just wondering if anyone else has noticed that the range on Audible is very small…

DJ infered in this weeks podcast that many of the books profiled on Point of Inquiry were available, but I have found few of them.

My only conclusion is that, by virtue of my living in Australia, Audible limits what is available due to international copyright issues.
Does anyone know if this is the case?

As it is I hardly see it as a worthwhile resource.

Sincerely,
Shmick

Posted: 13 January 2008 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2007-02-21

Schmick,

There may be an audible in Australia like there is in the UK which is different than the U.S. audible. The one in the U.S. seems rather expansive, with enough titles available to make your head reel. I’ll get more info and get back to you.  It may be less attractive to our listeners in Australia than it is to those in the U.S. or the UK or Canada.

Cheers, Thomas

1 of 3